First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I got my Maverick XLT hybrid from the dealer with each tire inflated to 45 PSI. The Ford recommended tire pressure is 35 PSI. I normally fill my tires a few PSI over recommended. Is 45 PSI too much, should I reduce the pressure some?
Sponsored

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
yep and yep
over inflated for transit

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Congrats and Happy Mavericking!!

Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

When you open your driver's side door there's a plate on the sill that shows the correct tire pressure for each tire including your spare tire
It's actually the recommended tire pressure.

Maximum safe pressure can be found on the side wall of the tire(s). Higher than average is a good thing if you are heavily loaded, have a trailer with a lot of tongue weight, are on wet roads often, but never on snowy or icy roads.

Lower pressure is better for sand, dirt, snow, ice. But never drive at highway speeds with tires more than 10 psi under the sticker on your door jamb.

Overall, tires are very forgiving and there is a wide range of safe pressure.
25 to 45 psi is safe, but with different pluses and minuses.

Lower pressure - softer more comfortable ride. But more tire flex, more heat generated, lower mpg, and in general, lower tread life.

Higher pressure - the opposite.

Higher pressure - smaller contact patch with the ground. You WANT this in wet conditions. You WANT your tires to cut through the water like a knife. Lower pressure means the tires will "float" and you will hydroplane and lose control.

Lower pressure - larger contact patch with the ground. You WANT this on soft sand, mud, snow & ice conditions. Hopefully these will also be slow speed conditions and winter conditions so you won't have to worry about tires heating up.

35 psi is a middle ground. A compromise. The best of both for people who want to set it and forget it which is most people.

😎

Pickles

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia rio, kia sorento
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's actually the recommended tire pressure.

Maximum safe pressure can be found on the side wall of the tire(s). Higher than average is a good thing if you are heavily loaded, have a trailer with a lot of tongue weight, are on wet roads often, but never on snowy or icy roads.

Lower pressure is better for sand, dirt, snow, ice. But never drive at highway speeds with tires more than 10 psi under the sticker on your door jamb.

Overall, tires are very forgiving and there is a wide range of safe pressure.
25 to 45 psi is safe, but with different pluses and minuses.

Lower pressure - softer more comfortable ride. But more tire flex, more heat generated, lower mpg, and in general, lower tread life.

Higher pressure - the opposite.

Higher pressure - smaller contact patch with the ground. You WANT this in wet conditions. You WANT your tires to cut through the water like a knife. Lower pressure means the tires will "float" and you will hydroplane and lose control.

Lower pressure - larger contact patch with the ground. You WANT this on soft sand, mud, snow & ice conditions. Hopefully these will also be slow speed conditions and winter conditions so you won't have to worry about tires heating up.

35 psi is a middle ground. A compromise. The best of both for people who want to set it and forget it which is most people.

😎
This is incredibly in depth lol bravo I’m impressed

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Usually the flame throwers come out by those who feel there is ONE correct pressure. There isn't. And pressure changes A LOT with temperature changes. In fact, you can park with all four tires equal, and let it sit half a day, the two tires in the sun will be 5 psi higher than the 2 in the shade.

2lbgill

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLTHybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

re
I got my Maverick XLT hybrid from the dealer with each tire inflated to 45 PSI. The Ford recommended tire pressure is 35 PSI. I normally fill my tires a few PSI over recommended. Is 45 PSI too much, should I reduce the pressure some?
My XLT tires are rated@51 PSI on the sidewall, I'm have them at 50 PSI. I have found over the years a person can increase tread wear decently by doing this. I know more that one person that does this, I would guess that Mfg's do this for ride quality.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

re

My XLT tires are rated@51 PSI on the sidewall, I'm have them at 50 PSI. I have found over the years a person can increase tread wear decently by doing this. I know more that one person that does this, I would guess that Mfg's do this for ride quality.
Yeah the door jam is the cold inflation. If you are at max when the tires are cold, umm... yeah.

Sponsored

jewc75

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06 12 Mustang 22 Maverick 93 Lightning 19 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Anyone remember the Explorer tire fiasco? Ford recommended 26 psi and many explorers rolled because of under inflated tires. The decal that they use on the door is what is recommended for the most comfortable ride. Tire manufacturers have their rated psi for ride and tire wear. With that said I run mine at 37 psi and the tires state 51.

Old Man

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
From Firestone Tire:
WHAT’S THE HARM IN OVERINFLATING YOUR TIRES?
COMPROMISED SAFETY
There are a variety of issues that can occur if you drive on overinflated tires. Most seriously, overinflated tires are at greater risk for a blowout. A tire blowout can cause you to lose control of your vehicle and negatively affect braking distance, endangering yourself and others on the road.

Additionally, many of the safety features on your vehicle, like your anti-lock braking system, are designed to work when tires are filled to the vehicle manufacturer recommendations. Overinflated tires could compromise some of your car’s driver assistance functions.

TIRE DAMAGE AND WEAR
Overinflating your tires can make them more vulnerable to damage. Like an overfilled balloon, tires filled to their maximum capacity are more stiff and inflexible, which makes them more susceptible to damage from potholes, curbs, or debris. Plus, as a driver or passenger, you’ll feel every bump and dip in the road, and that doesn’t make for a pleasant ride.

Excessive air pressure can also distort the shape of the tire, leading to decreased traction and increased wear and tear down the center of the tire. Depending on the circumstances, repeatedly overinflated tires could wear out more quickly.

A tire bulges in the center of the tread when you overinflate it. The only part of the tire touching the road is a small, skinny patch down the middle. In theory, "this should mean less rolling resistance and increased mileage," notes Popular Mechanics. But in reality? It means center tread wear, an uncomfortable ride, and increased risk for a blowout.

Note that a few PSI over your recommended tire pressure generally won't put you in the danger zone. After all, tire pressure fluctuates with the outside temperature. Your goal is to stay at your car manufacturer’s suggested cold tire pressure.

MavDave

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
35 PSI will result in the best tire ware, as long as you aren't hauling too much. A higher tire pressure will result in better fule mileage, but you will sacrifice the life for the tread (center ware), unless you have a decent amount of additional weight. A lower pressure will result in a better ride, but will result in a lower tread life (edge ware). I spent a few years in a tire shop monitoring several vehicles with different owners and driving styles, I would recommend 35 PSI.
Sponsored