Sponsored

Is the Maverick connected to the internet?

GreatWhiteNorth

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Does the Maverick somehow connect to the internet?

I have seen references to modems and the vehicle acting as a wifi hot spot. Does this mean that the car has a device that connects to nearby cell towers?

If the car does indeed communicate with cell towers, then

1. Can vehicle movements be tracked by Ford (or anyone else)?

2. Can the vehicle receive commands "over the air" (to update software, turn on accessories, change settings, etc.)

3. Can the modem be removed or disabled?

4. I have seen references to "Ford Pass points", which seem to require pairing a cell phone to the vehicle. Does this enable Ford to collect personal data?

Thanks for any insight you can provide! Some people may not care about these things, but some people do!
It's kind of nice remote starting the Maverick thru the Ford Pass app on the smartphone. I actually use the Android auto functionality too (Google Maps, playing YouTube music, etc.), so all that connectivity is good for something. If you're worried about tracking, you probably shouldn't own a smartphone and should stay off the internet - experts say pretty much everything connected is collecting data on you.
Sponsored

Mannyr

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX
Does the Maverick somehow connect to the internet?

I have seen references to modems and the vehicle acting as a wifi hot spot. Does this mean that the car has a device that connects to nearby cell towers?

If the car does indeed communicate with cell towers, then

2. Can the vehicle receive commands "over the air" (to update software, turn on accessories, change settings, etc.)

4. I have seen references to "Ford Pass points", which seem to require pairing a cell phone to the vehicle. Does this enable Ford to collect personal data?

Thanks for any insight you can provide! Some people may not care about these things, but some people do!
Well they need to find a way to make up for the lower price point 😂😂😂 get ready to see a lot more advertising from your gecko friends.

Cheers!

giddyup

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't know if Ford implemented an OTA update program, but I sorta doubt it. And even if they did, I don't think it'd be the only way to get updates. The firmware can still definitely be flashed by your dealer using an interface tool.
I don't think Maverick will support Ford's "PowerUp" OTA updates, not at launch anyway. I'm pretty sure that Sync 4 is required to support OTA for modules downstream of the Sync/APIM (e.g., PCM/SOBDMC/BECM/etc). Sync itself may be able to update OTA but I don't expect widespread OTA on Maverick until it's mid-cycle refresh around MY25 or so.

staryoshi

First Name
SJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Chevrolet Colorado
Thank you for the response.

It seems crazy that these days that buying a new vehicle may include you being tracked without opting out.

I don't like that.
To be fair, you opt out by not buying it.

Sponsored

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Yes, you have to pair with the vehicle while in the car with the key. Ford or emergency services should be able to locate you if need be. What happens if you hit a deer 🦌 and blackout? Your car could call for help without you. I don’t know if this is a feature of the car but it should be.

Sure

I think this will disable the Maverick as well.

Everyone wants your personal data. For me I don’t see why this bothers people as much as it does. No one cares about my life, I don’t even care about it half the time. You think someone is watching my internet history with my 37 visits to MaverickTruckClub by 8am daily? Or my 4 trips to home depot on a Saturday.

Last edited:

2517X

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Yes, you have to pair with the vehicle while in the car with the key. Ford or emergency services should be able to locate if need be. what happens if you hit a deer 🦌 and blackout? Your car could call for help without you. I don’t know if this is a feature of the car but it should be.

Sure

I think this will disable the Maverick as well.

everyone wants your personal data. For me I don’t see why this bothers people as much as it does. No one cares about my life, I don’t even care about it half the time. You think someone is watching my internet history with my 37 vistits to MaverickTruckClub by 8am daily? Or my 4 trips to home depot on a Saturday.
You might start seeing adds from Lowes

bgillen35

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Prius, '19 Indian FTR-S, '20 Mustang EcoBoost
everyone wants your personal data. For me I don’t see why this bothers people as much as it does. No one cares about my life, I don’t even care about it half the time. You think someone is watching my internet history with my 37 vistits to MaverickTruckClub by 8am daily? Or my 4 trips to home depot on a Saturday.
Ditto... Some government or marketing guy in a giant warehouse wants to track me, my movements, what I search for, etc., then go right ahead. I promise you they will die of boredom and will not have anything interesting to report to their supervisor. I don't get why certain people get so worked up over it... Infringement of rights they claim? Is it really an infringement if you agree to it? You are not required to buy their product and thus participate in their program.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thank you for the response.

It seems crazy that these days that buying a new vehicle may include you being tracked without opting out.

I don't like that.
That's nothing.

The infrastructure bill that just passed includes a mandate for car makers to include technology in new automobiles that prevents a car from starting if the driver is drunk.

This means you will have to prove you are sober by taking a breathalzyer built into your ignition before you are allowed to drive the vehicle you own.

Oh and chocolate rations are being increased from two bars a week to one! Rejoice comrade, as we march together into a bright future that is better for all of us!

Sponsored

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a Chevy Cruze, and even though I am not subscribed to OnStar, my car is still being monitored. I get monthly reports emailed to me about the car, and the car emails me if the check engine light comes on (which happens a lot with this car). And now Onstar offers auto insurance - and you can save up to 20% because they are tracking your miles and driving habits right through the car! Isn't that fun? It is only a slight leap before the automakers have deals with the insurance companies to provide driving data on everyone. How much would the insurance companies pay for this type of data? Kind of like how Google pays Apple to be the default browser on the iPhone.

NiklasE

First Name
Niklas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
I have a Chevy Cruze, and even though I am not subscribed to OnStar, my car is still being monitored. I get monthly reports emailed to me about the car, and the car emails me if the check engine light comes on (which happens a lot with this car). And now Onstar offers auto insurance - and you can save up to 20% because they are tracking your miles and driving habits right through the car! Isn't that fun? It is only a slight leap before the automakers have deals with the insurance companies to provide driving data on everyone. How much would the insurance companies pay for this type of data? Kind of like how Google pays Apple to be the default browser on the iPhone.
Pretty sure Safari is the default browser on the iPhone sir.

Caper

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You can turn some of the tracking off by turning off the Sync. This I think is most of your personal data and movement. You will lose the ability to remote start and some other features. This is Ford's way of coercing us to accept data collection. I have chosen to turn it off for two reasons: 1. Is I strongly disagree with data collection, and 2. A popup message came on the center screen every time I started the vehicle asking me to agree to there policy of data collection which was an annoyance I was not going to accept.

The modem is still connecting and sending some data. The privacy policy (for Canada at least) says you can contact Ford to have this also disabled; I have not done this.

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid