Sponsored

Is the Jeep Gladiator a Maverick competitor?

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Maverick does everything a gladiator can on road at cheaper prices except tow . People really have to like off roading to get value out of Gladitor. I see so many in my city never touch dirt and laugh how much they waste on gas etc .
Sponsored

TFLB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 F150, 05 Mustang, 24 Ordered Mav XLT hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Gladiator's are hideous

Raymundo76

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Maverick does everything a gladiator can on road at cheaper prices except tow . People really have to like off roading to get value out of Gladitor. I see so many in my city never touch dirt and laugh how much they waste on gas etc .
Right On! Not to mention their good looks!! Ha

22MavXLT

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT, 23 Maverick XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I owned a Gladiator Rubicon for 6 months, and HATED it! It got horrible gas mileage, rode like crap and just wasn't comfortable, to me at least. Traded it for my 22 Mustang GT and so glad I did. My Maverick, even lowered, rides way better and is more comfortable and of course gets way better gas mileage.

Sponsored

K5Blazer

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you think Ford Mavericks have quality issues you haven’t had a Jeep.

Its a Jeep thing, you wouldn’t understand.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Fortunately I seem to have managed to break my brother's family of the habit of buying broke-ass Jeeps that I then get to fix. Now they drive Equinoxes and if that ain't damning that those heaps are more reliable.

Maui

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Kia Soul Convertble
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I drive for several franchises, including a CDJR dealer. I especially dislike driving the Sad-iator. Difficult access/egress, loud, lousy gas mileage, poor visibility, too much money!

Kidney belt suggested.

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
Now if Ford made a Bronco pickup, that would be reasonable comparison.
I do like them when they aren’t all dolled up.

Sponsored

OpieGoneBad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid, 2023 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I "built" a Gladiator on the Jeep site for fun to see what it would cost. Doing fairly bare bones as I did with the Maverick, the Jeep was about $38k. That's $15k more than I paid for my Maverick, but probably only $13k more than if I ordered my Maverick now.

Is the Gladiator considered Maverick's competition? It seems to be about the same price as the Santa Cruz. I always hear people talk about the SC when talking about Maverick's competition but never hear anything about the Gladiator. I think I'd love to have a Gladiator if money was no object. I love the looks of it and would probably enjoy the drive.

Anyone driven a Gladiator? What did you think?
I would say no, they aren't competitors. As others have already said they are two different kinds of vehicles, one being unibody and the other being a 'jeep pickup' hybrid model that is built on a frame. My son in law had one for about 6 months and got rid of it. They are jeep people through and through and just didn't like it. He said it is kind of like they tried to take the off road 'toughness' of a jeep and mixed it with the utility of a pickup only to not do either very well. They are ugly, and don't do jeep or pickup things particularly well. IMO, the Gladiator was a big swing and a miss.

OpieGoneBad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid, 2023 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Yep. Both my daughter and son in law are big time 'Jeep people'. I can't even begin to tell you how much time their Jeeps are in the shop and how much money they have wasted on them. When you buy a Chrysler product, plan on taking public transportation much of the time.

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It was the hottest thing for 5 minutes now you can find them on dealer lots all over. I think they even showed up on a new vehicle aging report as one the few vehicles that currently sit on the lot the longest even in this market.

As a long time Jeep fan who’s owned XJ’s TJ’s and Liberty’s, it’s a disappointing drive. I test drove one prior to ordering my Maverick and was appalled on how badly it steered (wandered all over constantly), the poor visibility, and rough ride on relatively smooth pavement. You would expect for its size and long wheelbase to ride somewhat well but not in the slightest. Just a plain jane sport model too. It’s really just a cash grab hack in my opinion and the Maverick drives leaps and bounds better than it.

Old Hickory Trojan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Crosstrek Spt ,23 SC AWD,02 Jeep 4x4, 17 Winbgo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OK; but the jeep brand is not stellar and this jeep truck does not have good reviews; except maybe for off road; LOL.
Some folks like it ..
I would say no, they aren't competitors. As others have already said they are two different kinds of vehicles, one being unibody and the other being a 'jeep pickup' hybrid model that is built on a frame. My son in law had one for about 6 months and got rid of it. They are jeep people through and through and just didn't like it. He said it is kind of like they tried to take the off road 'toughness' of a jeep and mixed it with the utility of a pickup only to not do either very well. They are ugly, and don't do jeep or pickup things particularly well. IMO, the Gladiator was a big swing and a miss.
JD Power rates them higher in quality and reliability for 2023 than the Ford Maverick under small trucks.

Jump Start

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Cactus Grey 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Gladiator is a mid size truck, it should be compared to the Ranger. Apples and oranges if you try to compare it to Maverick.
Sponsored