Sponsored

Is it possible to swap in Focus RS engine?

ToastyScones

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have an idea but it’s kinda of crazy to swap the focus RS motor into the maverick which is prob gonna be what the ST or RS version of it will be anyways but I love that 2.3L EB sound.
Sponsored

Flub

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 08
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have an idea but it’s kinda of crazy to swap the focus RS motor into the maverick which is prob gonna be what the ST or RS version of it will be anyways but I love that 2.3L EB sound.
If you're doing an engine swap why on Earth would you put in another turbo?

Sponsored

OP
OP
ToastyScones

ToastyScones

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Fuel dilution?
You’re gonna have to explain it not just say a term and expect me to understand as far as I’m Caesar of turbos are just better in every way more air means more power more points of failure of more power and fuel efficiency in total if tuned correctly like all stock non performance eco boosts are. I’m confused on why having a bigger displacement engine with stronger internals is bad as a swap.

OP
OP
ToastyScones

ToastyScones

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
what you could do maybe its used the focus rs internals as the block its different and the head
Wouldn’t I need to hone my current block to the bore the pistons need or no I’m not very into engine stuff but that’s what little knowledge ik

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I mean there is a driveshaft tunnel so it should be easy enough to drop a 460 in it. It has a good sized engine bay. I think a 2.3 would fit just fine. Ecoboost or Lima.

Vtec87pr1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 XL Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Wouldn’t I need to hone my current block to the bore the pistons need or no I’m not very into engine stuff but that’s what little knowledge ik
I dont think so. I will check tomorrow when i get the ford workshop manual

Sponsored
OP
OP
ToastyScones

ToastyScones

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I mean there is a driveshaft tunnel so it should be easy enough to drop a 460 in it. It has a good sized engine bay. I think a 2.3 would fit just fine. Ecoboost or Lima.
Not like this will happen any time soon I just wanted to see what others had to say on the matter or if it’s popped up in anyone else’s heads

MavDave

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've kicked this idea around, and done some Google poking. If I were to attempt such an endeavor. I would find 2 wrecked vehicles and do a Focus RS subframe and complete driveline. Have the Mavericks body repaired and then have fun. It will take a lot of engineering, and it will definitely void all warranties. But of you are considering this you ain't worried about warranties.

The other option that seems to be a more logical route is the 2.3 head on your current block. The 2.3 head is machined for a twin volute turbo, which spool WAY faster and generally more efficient. Then you would have an adequate MAP sensor to turn the boost up. The next thing you would need to worry about is how much top end is left on the Mavericks fuel sustem. We will just totally ignore the transmission that, with that amount of power will fail or the ECU will be pulling so much power from the wheels it would be worthless. As with any build that hasn't been done before it would take a lot of hours in the garage and even more $$, but you would have the vehicle youbwant with little compromise. You could also have the bragging rights of built not bought.

MavDave

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I dont think so. I will check tomorrow when i get the ford workshop manual
Others have built 2.0/2.3 hybrid engines. Kinda like the old Honda LS Vtecs. They make really good power, but I haven't read through a complete build thread to see the exact amount, if any machining that has to be done.

OP
OP
ToastyScones

ToastyScones

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've kicked this idea around, and done some Google poking. If I were to attempt such an endeavor. I would find 2 wrecked vehicles and do a Focus RS subframe and complete driveline. Have the Mavericks body repaired and then have fun. It will take a lot of engineering, and it will definitely void all warranties. But of you are considering this you ain't worried about warranties.

The other option that seems to be a more logical route is the 2.3 head on your current block. The 2.3 head is machined for a twin volute turbo, which spool WAY faster and generally more efficient. Then you would have an adequate MAP sensor to turn the boost up. The next thing you would need to worry about is how much top end is left on the Mavericks fuel sustem. We will just totally ignore the transmission that, with that amount of power will fail or the ECU will be pulling so much power from the wheels it would be worthless. As with any build that hasn't been done before it would take a lot of hours in the garage and even more $$, but you would have the vehicle youbwant with little compromise. You could also have the bragging rights of built not bought.
Yeah I want to make it all my self but I’m just not that knowledgeable yet but I want to learn

MavDave

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would do a lot of Googling, weigh the options.,get some measurements for the focus subframe VS the Mavericks. And if you can't weld, now is the time to start. There are also some really good amateur fabricators on YouTube that show some really good tips and tricks.
Sponsored