Sponsored

If Ford pull this off my Mav will be short lived and the Lightning will be in my yard.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I still think developing easily swappable batteries is where it's at. Then, go to the battery station and swap it out, or charge at home overnight. The need to bolt the batteries to the bottom of the car and develop an automatic system where the car drives over a bay, the battery lowers and a new one is raised. The car drives off and the battery station employee places the battery on a large underground charging rack.

MavDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MAZDA 3 Sedan
I still think developing easily swappable batteries is where it's at. Then, go to the battery station and swap it out, or charge at home overnight. The need to bolt the batteries to the bottom of the car and develop an automatic system where the car drives over a bay, the battery lowers and a new one is raised. The car drives off and the battery station employee places the battery on a large underground charging rack.
Tesla showed off this tech then scrapped it. Imagine the amount of warranty claims when you swap to a battery with some sort of issue...

Dechion

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Forte
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's basically how we handle fork lifts at work, though its an overhead lift for the batt that is under the operator seat just by design.

Sponsored

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tesla showed off this tech then scrapped it. Imagine the amount of warranty claims when you swap to a battery with some sort of issue...
Well, instead of a Tesla charging station, make it a battery swap. It's impossible to get a battery to charge fast enough to compete with gas stations. I don't care how fast they get it to charge, it's not going to happen. Swapping or enough range for any possible trip are the only possible solutions.

wjg

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Maverick hybrid gets more than twice the range as a standard Lighting and take only 5 Minutes to fill up.
That's a great comment. I do not see how, in this go,go,go, society how anyone would take a 1/2 hour to charge a vehicle. Can you imagine a cross country trip and 3 hours more to total time just because of the charging stops! Just my opinion but all our time and money should be advancing Hybrid technology.

eRock92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape SE
Engine
Undecided
I completely agree. Granted, battery tech is still far behind. However, swapping batteries seems like a better idea than trying to force more electricity into a charging port. I've always viewed it like the gas can or water cooler business model: go to any place that sells batteries and exchange you low batteries for fully charged ones. For high output and/or long range batteries, charge a premium. Now Joe Shmoe can use the cheaper batteries for daily driving and the long range ones for the the occasional out-of-state trip.

However, I understand why we have batteries bolted underneath the vehicle's frame. With the way battery tech is currently, we need a bunch of batteries for the current EV range. Once we get to a point where 2 or 3 standard-automobile-sized batteries can get someone roughly 500 miles of distance, then we might be able to start putting batteries back in the engine bay and develop a swapping system.

Dechion

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Forte
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's a great comment. I do not see how, in this go,go,go, society how anyone would take a 1/2 hour to charge a vehicle. Can you imagine a cross country trip and 3 hours more to total time just because of the charging stops! Just my opinion but all our time and money should be advancing Hybrid technology.
In the long run I think that plug in hybrids will be the way to go. The advantages of full EV for short hops to the store, the convenience and range of a hybrid for trips.

One thing folks looking at full EV seem to overlook is that having electricity readily available isn't always a given.

What happens when a storm knocks out power for any length of time? Could be a hurricane here where I live, but every place has its reasons. look at Texas last winter. Picture being in that, and not being able to leave because you cant charge your car. It's not like I can toss a couple 5 gallon cans of electricity in the bed of my Maverick.

eRock92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape SE
Engine
Undecided
With EV's pushing the advancement of better batteries, I think this is indirectly bettering hybrid technology. Whether traditional or plug-in, better batteries make better hybrids. I have a feeling that batteries will be the new standard powertrain a la the new Maverick. This is why I'm hoping Ford creates a PowerBoost version of the 2023 Ranger. A hybrid you don't have to plug in can be extremely advantageous, especially for people who live in apartment complexes that don't provide EV stations.

Sponsored

eRock92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape SE
Engine
Undecided
One thing folks looking at full EV seem to overlook is that having electricity readily available isn't always a given.
People like that tend to apply to the following:
  • They live in a nice single family home
  • They live in a nice, high dollar apartment/condo complex
  • Their job has charging stations in the parking lot
  • They don't live in an area that frequently experiences one or more of the following: sever flooding, high winds, 1+ feet of snow, high summer temperatures

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

When I read this :
The cable uses liquid as an active cooling agent, which can help extract more heat from the cable by changing phase from liquid to vapor –

I thought of all the idiots that drive off with gas hoses still in their tank and if you did this with this an electric super fancy liquid cooled hose LOL

OP
OP
STARCOMMTREY1

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Maverick hybrid gets more than twice the range as a standard Lighting and take only 5 Minutes to fill up.
If they can get the charging down to 10 to 20 minutes, no fuel cost will be worth it

SantaStephen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.santastephen.org
Vehicle(s)
GLE, Disco II, Corvette
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had experience with the BMW i3 for 5 years. Both were leases since battery tech seems to be following Moore's law for now and I didn't think there would be much resale value in them.

The first i3 was the one with the Range Extender built in. On pure electric the range was 64 miles I believe and the Range Extender added 30 or so to that (although you could stop and refill that as you go if you needed more range). That was a 2 year lease and in the 2 years I had it there was only one time I used the Range Extender to actually extend my range...the other times it would kick in once a month just to make sure everything was operating correctly. So when that lease was up, I renewed with a pure electric version (the range was now up to 130 miles I think it was) that one fit our needs perfectly.

The i3 was strictly used for commuting, we always had at least one regular car at home for use on longer trips. My round trip would involve both city driving and expressway, covering 60 miles per day total. I was lucky that at that time my office was close to a mall that had free chargers so I would simply park there in the morning and then pick it up at lunch time. I would also "top up" at home using a Level 1 charger. The lease per month on the i3 was $350...so for less than it was costing me per month to fill up the Explorer I had before that, I had a new car and no fuel costs.

The i3 was great for zipping around in city traffic, was a real hoot to drive and also handled extremely well in Chicago winters...those skinny tires got a lot of traction.

My use case has changed considerably since then though, but I'm still intrigued by the Lightning. Still wouldn't buy an EV though...leasing is the only way to go with something like that that is evolving so rapidly.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The issue here is size - this concept absolutely makes sense for E-bikes and scooters, even electric motorcycles where you could scale and have the batteries be modular (an e-bike takes 1 pack, a scooter might house 3 and a motorcycle 5-6, though the voltage requirements will be different - lots of considerations). How do you scale that to the power requirement of a full size vehicle.

That isn't to say it couldn't be overcome - but just like charging stations we currently have, it ends up becoming a question of critical mass adoption.

To me I think the near-term medium is the PHEV - you get the best of both worlds, and a battery size that can cover most daily trips under 50-60 miles. Heck, go this route and make batteries that are hot-swappable for the PHEV - 2-4 40lb batteries could be managed by most people without having to create a system to manage a battery that weighs hundreds of pounds
Sponsored