Sponsored

I want a full sized spare

Robodog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Got a new 2022 Lariat, purchased off the lot. I have the normal spare tire. I’d like to get a full sized after-market spare. Anybody have suggestions for what to get? Will a full sized spare fit on the carrying location if the truck originally comes with the mini spare?
I have FordPass points I can use, anybody have a price and part number to buy one through Ford?
If not, I’d be open to buying a cheaper wheel through some third party. Open to suggestions
Sponsored

Milqueman

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Kia Sportage Hybrid, 2013 Hyundai Elantra
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't have my Maverick yet, but I can't imagine Ford would have completely redesigned the undercarriage to accommodate two different sized wheels. One for a small spare and one for a full sized spare. I'm 100% positive that your undercarriage will fit a full sized wheel and tire.

Now, I wouldn't go through Ford. It will most likely cost more and take weeks or months to get the spare. Instead, just go to your local tire shop (look around for the best prices) and get a simple steel wheel and a tire of the same size as your mains mounted on it. It's a spare, doesn't need to look pretty, just get you to the shop so you can get the main tire fixed. Make sure the lug nut pattern fits the vehicle and check the undercarriage and see what wheel they have that will accept the mounting bracket to ensure it will be secure, but most simple wheels should work just fine.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A truly full-sized wheel/tire will fit. Some have even managed oversized tires on aftermarket wheels.

Simplest would probably just order a 17" steel wheel and your tire of choice through Tirerack. I come up with $276 + tax that route mounted, balanced, and with TPMS.

Rockingchair

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When Ford says the spare is "full size" that means it is not a mini spare, BUT it does NOT mean that it is the same size or even the same wheel diameter as the wheels and tires on your Maverick. My Lariat spare is NOT the same as the other tire and wheels!

Sponsored

Suzukiridr14

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1956 THunderbird , 2016 Acura MDX (Wifes car)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Got a new 2022 Lariat, purchased off the lot. I have the normal spare tire. I’d like to get a full sized after-market spare. Anybody have suggestions for what to get? Will a full sized spare fit on the carrying location if the truck originally comes with the mini spare?
I have FordPass points I can use, anybody have a price and part number to buy one through Ford?
If not, I’d be open to buying a cheaper wheel through some third party. Open to suggestions
The spare tire area will fit both size tires because you can order a full size tire when the truck was ordered. Also when ws the last time you had to use the spare? As long as you have something to put on the truck, it will get you home.

OP
OP
Robodog

Robodog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
The spare tire area will fit both size tires because you can order a full size tire when the truck was ordered. Also when ws the last time you had to use the spare? As long as you have something to put on the truck, it will get you home.
Yeah, you’re right. But it bugs me that the spare is a different size. Not sure what the significant benefit of the smaller sized spare is. I’d rather have something that I can drive on for a while in case something happens far away from home

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do some more searching on the forum. I understand a true full size spare (not the one Ford markets) will not fit. Not 100% though.

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't quite understand the hand wringing that goes on on this forum over the size of the fullsize spare. People acted like Ford committed a war crime when they found out the fullsize wasn't the same size as the other 4 factory tires.

It's not a donut, and it'll let you drive normally until you can get the blowout repaired or replaced. What else do you need?

greenweever

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Peterbuilt
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Anyone know a cheap 18” wheel that will work? I have an extra matching tire for 18” wheels that I’d like to put on a cheap wheel.
Sponsored