First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There are some interesting developments in battery tech that could lead to a smaller EV truck with charging time in the minutes. And yes, eventually all companies will offer EVs in every vehicle size.

But there is nothing in that article we didn't already know and predicting that Ford is working on an EV [insert model here] didn't exactly require an oracle.
Sponsored

OP
OP
son of a ..sven

son of a ..sven

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's the same thing that Elon Musk said about his "less than $35k" Model 3 that took almost 3 years after it came out to be sold for less than $35k at a profit.

If people think Ford is going to be able to shed 40% of that asking price and produce an EV pick up with more than 250 miles of range and AWD - you're kidding yourself.
You can get the Rear wheel drive model 3 Tesla for $35,990 if you qualify for a rebate..$40K if not. $47K for the AWD long range and about $4k less if you qualify for rebate. 3.8 to 60
I think the competition will drive down prices but with Musk..who knows what he will do. It's all conjecture on prices for the next two years...

OP
OP
son of a ..sven

son of a ..sven

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There are some interesting developments in battery tech that could lead to a smaller EV truck with charging time in the minutes. And yes, eventually all companies will offer EVs in every vehicle size.

But there is nothing in that article we didn't already know and predicting that Ford is working on an EV [insert model here] didn't exactly require an oracle.
True on the batteries...it is all evolving..sodium, and ?? who knows...

OP
OP
son of a ..sven

son of a ..sven

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am wondering how long it will take Ford to work out ALL the bugs on the Mav...or if they will..ever?

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
True on the batteries...it is all evolving..sodium, and ?? who knows...
The linked article says that Ford plans to use LFP to start - which isn't even the best technology available....today.

Sponsored

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
EV propulsion will eventually win out for no other reason than electrons are more readily available than are hydrocarbons even allowing for all blades of grass, etc. only the lack of knowledge how to utilize them is in short supply. Solar panels are not the answer in that they release their waste heat into the atmosphere instead of using the land and water as a heat sink, resulting in ambient temps having wider swings than they otherwise would have. Due to many reasons petroleum based fuels will cost much more in the near future.

Found the newest n.korea troll account

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm sure all the NA OEM's are working feverishly behind the scenes to develop cheap(er) EV's. If wide spread adoption is the goal, the current over priced offerings will never succeed.

While I do anticipate Ford (and others) releasing such a vehicle, I'd be shocked if it happens as a '26 model as suggested in the article.

Bohefus

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat BAP, 2016 Mazda 3
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
EV propulsion will eventually win out for no other reason than electrons are more readily available than are hydrocarbons even allowing for all blades of grass, etc. only the lack of knowledge how to utilize them is in short supply. Solar panels are not the answer in that they release their waste heat into the atmosphere instead of using the land and water as a heat sink, resulting in ambient temps having wider swings than they otherwise would have. Due to many reasons petroleum based fuels will cost much more in the near future.
Grid infrastructure & affordable widespread charging stations and new more affordable efficient battery technology will have to get a lot better before it will "win out".

apstephen

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat 2023 to 2024 in waiting
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
.....yawn.....

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Grid infrastructure & affordable widespread charging stations and new more affordable efficient battery technology will have to get a lot better before it will "win out".
Of course it will have to get much better. Off planet solar collectors and micro wave transmission could significantly reduce grid infrastructure requirements. Gathering atmospheric electrons prior to building to lightning strikes. It wouldn't hurt to find a working "Persian flying carpet". The answer lies beyond "batteries" as we normally think of them. Etc......

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
China recently stated there will be an EV bloodbath coming for the American car market. Their words, not mine. I for one have no idea how all this is going to play out but suffice to say without drastic measures all this cannot end well. For us.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Versa, 2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Honestly I'm really excited to see what smaller EVs come out. I mean, I expect my Maverick will last me quite some time, but I need to replace my hatchback in a few years -- and a nice, little electric thing to zip around town in would be handy.

rmay635703

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru 360, Comutacar, Honda Insight, Dodge Ram
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I can't see the cost of producing an EV getting close to a selling point of 25k.
BYD Already sells $10000-$14,000 EVs in Australia and Europe.

so a Tesla like $25,000 Model 2 EV is possible, afterall, it used to be claimed that a body on frame pickup was the cheapest to build and least expensive vehicle you could buy.
My father used to own trucks because they were a lot cheaper to buy than a car.

That was, from Xpeng's founder, in reference to China's own EV market and its many brands competing with one another, not the US.
And Biden is much more firmly against Chinese cars than the other guys (considering his history 1980-present on China ) if BYD uses the Chicano loophole you can bet on big tarriffs .

too bad most of the car companies will be bankrupt in a year or two
Sponsored