Sponsored

Hybrid vs Eco for mostly highway driving.

Camlt12010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Ford Escape
Engine
Undecided
holy shit really?? I'm struggling to keep 22mpg on the cluster, 60/40 highway/city, CC often as possible and coast always. highway in texas means I'm 65-75 mostly but that can't be the reason you're over 30mpg with the same setup - maybe my light foot is not as light as I felt... can't seem to find the FordPass app's driving style readout that it used to have...
I hear ya, I have to wonder how many are relying on the dash mpg lie o meter about fuel mileage. It's not true. You have do the math gallons into miles to get an accurate read.
Sponsored

ShadowChas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I own an eco boost (hybrid was not available to buy when I got mine last october). I am very happy with my fuel economy, but would have liked to try a hybrid (I've never had hybrid or electric). I would agree any way you slice it the hybrid is & will most likely always be more fuel efficient and cheaper to purchase, however driving 70-90k miles in a year also runs out the warranty on the hybrid components including the battery:cautious:. I don't know if this would be a concern for total cost of ownership?

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I own an eco boost (hybrid was not available to buy when I got mine last october). I am very happy with my fuel economy, but would have liked to try a hybrid (I've never had hybrid or electric). I would agree any way you slice it the hybrid is & will most likely always be more fuel efficient and cheaper to purchase, however driving 70-90k miles in a year also runs out the warranty on the hybrid components including the battery:cautious:. I don't know if this would be a concern for total cost of ownership?
The large majority of hybrid drivers never replace a battery or an electric motor - they move on to a different vehicle well before these components need to be replaced. I wouldn't be any more concerned about replacing hybrid components than I would the automatic tranny in the ecoboost. No matter how you slice it, total cost of ownership will be cheaper for the hybrid.

ShadowChas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The large majority of hybrid drivers never replace a battery or an electric motor - they move on to a different vehicle well before these components need to be replaced. I wouldn't be any more concerned about replacing hybrid components than I would the automatic tranny in the ecoboost. No matter how you slice it, total cost of ownership will be cheaper for the hybrid.
I agree to an extent and depends on how long you keep it should last much longer than warranty. the parts themselves are much more costly on hybrid if kept until needing any work. Yes the eco boost has turbo hybrid does not. the hybrid battery is very expensive to replace. the cvt transmission costs more to replace than the 8 spd automatic.

Landric

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Landric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT AWD FX4 Alto Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In the continuing saga of driving my RAV4 hybrid while waiting for my Maverick to maybe someday be built....

I took a trip to the beach last weekend. Averaged 42 MPG on the way out, filled up when I got there, then drove around for a couple of days and back home. Averaged 46 MPG on the around town/trip back home. I do the calculations by hand with the same fueling method, only real variable is that I can't fill at the same gas station/pump every time.

If my orders get bumped to 2023 (which they probably will) I am switching to the hybrid (except for Granger where I can only get $3k off an Ecoboost). The $3k off will make the hybrid and Ecoboost a lot closer in price though and I don't really drive enough for the gas savings alone to be a deciding factor...the joy of having a take-home work car and an employer that pays for the gas.

Sponsored

Sykotyk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I hear ya, I have to wonder how many are relying on the dash mpg lie o meter about fuel mileage. It's not true. You have do the math gallons into miles to get an accurate read.
The most it's ever been off is about 2mpg. So 45 instead of 47. Usually it's about 1mpg off for the whole tank. Couple times it's been spot on.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree to an extent and depends on how long you keep it should last much longer than warranty. the parts themselves are much more costly on hybrid if kept until needing any work. Yes the eco boost has turbo hybrid does not. the hybrid battery is very expensive to replace. the cvt transmission costs more to replace than the 8 spd automatic.
Replacing hybrid batteries is cheaper now than many realize. You can replace prius batteries for ~$1200 now. I'm sure there are not as many options for the Maverick battery, but it isn't going to be $5k like a lot of people think - IF it ever happens. I'd also bet the ECVT lasts longer than the 8spd, particularly because the ecoboost is already pushing it's power-handling limits. We likely won't have any relevant data for 5yrs or so, but I'd bet a lot of money that overall total cost of maintenance on the hybrid is generally cheaper - on top of cheaper buy-in and cost of gas.

Camlt12010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Ford Escape
Engine
Undecided
The most it's ever been off is about 2mpg. So 45 instead of 47. Usually it's about 1mpg off for the whole tank. Couple times it's been spot on.
I disagree . I found it always to be off about 3 mpg.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I disagree! The eco boost definitely is not struggling with power. I found it to be quicker than the Hemi Ram truck I had. Also the hybrid as much as I read has had more initial problems out the gate so I guess time will tell. Maybe the problems will be ironed out for 2023 as I am planning on ordering another.
It is a fact that the ecoboost engine is pushing the power-handling limits of the transmission, that's a concern long-term (IMO, a lot more than the eCVT or hybrid battery). While it's certainly possible that the hybrid has higher maintenance costs, I wouldn't bet on it considering current data comparing long-term maintenance of hybrids vs. fully ICE vehicles.

Last edited:

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I disagree! The eco boost definitely is not struggling with power. I found it to be quicker than the Hemi Ram truck I had. Also the hybrid as much as I read has had more initial problems out the gate so I guess time will tell. Maybe the problems will be ironed out for 2023 as I am planning on ordering another.
That's what he's saying is the problem. The engine may not be struggling, but the transmission might be trying to handle it

Sponsored

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Many folks comment on this topic, claim no benifit in having a hybrid for 90% plus highway driving. So many mileage claims out there that just seem like B.S. Hoping for some input and opinions now the many have had their Maverick for some time. I drive for my business,, 60 to 70K a year,, 95% on the highway.
this is a diver habit question vs just hwy vs street.

I get 40 to 60 mpg on street 45 mph max and 32 to 34 mpg on highway 70+ mph.

long drives no ability to coast will degrade hybrid mileage.

I took a drive to Costco from my house. short drive with freeway 6 miles 36 mpg. longer drive street only max speed 40 mph 8 miles 60 mpg.... huge difference

Camlt12010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Ford Escape
Engine
Undecided
That's what he's saying is the problem. The engine may not be struggling, but the transmission might be trying to handle it
Doubtful, I read the 8f35 trans has 3 different torque levels and the Maverick has the middle one. So I have no reason to believe the transmission wouldn't handle the engine.

garnermike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An Outback, an Ioniq, a Corvette, a Fiat Spider
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I disagree . I found it always to be off about 3 mpg.
And I find the truck and my by-hand calculations to be the same.
Let me correct that. Going through my notes, the truck calculations run 1 MPG lower.

RogueCheddar

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 XLT Lux EB 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

And I find the truck and my by-hand calculations to be the same.
Let me correct that. Going through my notes, the truck calculations run 1 MPG lower.
Same here. my hand calculations have always been better than what the truck is telling me.

Dallas Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hybrid all the way.
Also, I don’t think I need to explain to someone who puts that many miles on a vehicle every year, but driving fatigue is a real thing. If I was in your position, a car with adaptive cruise would be mandatory. It is such a game changer for my daily commute. If you’ve already got your XLT on the way, I would figure out how to add ACC. If you haven’t ordered yet, opt for the lariat Lux.
Sponsored