Sponsored

Hybrid for predominantly highway driving?

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So it's time for a new vehicle. My 95 Ram is still running good, but it's seen better days.

Front suspension needs rebuilt, interior is in pieces due to various electric fixes, plus diesel is getting expensive!

I was already considering a hybrid, so the Maverick hybrid coming along, and at its price point, made me steer away from the typical mainstream models and towards it. The pickup style is just more useful to me than a sedan or hatchback.

Thing is most of my commute is highway. First part of my day is 5 miles of 35 to 45mph state route with no stops, then 3 miles of 35 to 50 with stop lights, 30 miles of highway, then about 2 miles of city streets when I get into town to work.

Weekend trips with the family or quick trips in to town are handled in my wife's van. Those quick weekend trips to the store would be done in the Maverick when purchased, so it would see a bit more in town mileage vs my current truck.

So I've been doing lots of reading and learning, but would I really benefit as much from the hybrid with mostly highway use?

Couldn't care less about the power of the Ecoboost over the hybrid. 160hp in a 26 year old 3/4 ton automatic truck gives a new definition to slow!
The hybrid gets 42 miles per gallon city because it's depending more on the electric motor than the gas Engine, so when you're doing more highway driving you will not reap the benefits of a hybrid. But by sticking with the Hybrid you can buy a lot of gasoline for the $1000+ the ecoboost would cost you
Sponsored

bgillen35

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Prius, '19 Indian FTR-S, '20 Mustang EcoBoost
The hybrid gets 42 miles per gallon city because it's depending more on the electric motor than the gas Engine, so when you're doing more highway driving you will not reap the benefits of a hybrid. But by sticking with the Hybrid you can buy a lot of gasoline for the $1000+ the ecoboost would cost you
No driving is 100% highway. Even if, the hybrid still gets better highway MPG than the ecoboost. So if you're not towing 4k or need AWD and you're ok with being .5-.75 seconds slower 0-60, why not the hybrid??

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No driving is 100% highway. Even if, the hybrid still gets better highway MPG than the ecoboost. So if you're not towing 4k or need AWD and you're ok with being .5-.75 seconds slower 0-60, why not the hybrid??
That's what I'm saying stick with the hybrid over the Eco boost and save a $1000 for the upgrade to the Eco boost engine And put it in the gas tank. Or take your wife on a road trip when you finally get your hybrid

Ricstar

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep CJ7
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One of the advantages of driving a 26 year old 3/4 ton diesel is that there is no such thing as any new vehicle that's too loud on the inside haha
LOL my CJ has a 4BT and no top 90% of the time

OP
OP

nick112288

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Ram 2500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So am I correct in an Escape Hybrid would be a similar driving experience to get an idea of the Maverick?

Local dealer has a used 2020 on the lot.
Sponsored