Hybrid true fuel tank capacity?

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybr 2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 ECO
I ran the previous tank down to 10m to empty, the gauge(digital), indicated 0 bar. I ran the pump on slow and I got cold feet, so I shut it off at 14.5g. The tank before I put 14g in.

This subject is going to be uncovered one day, the next fill up I do will be a slow fill and I am going to try to put 15g in. There's others on here that have put 16g in.

I don't recommend this practice, but I do know if you slow fill, you will get more in there. Most people say it damages this or that, time will tell.
Sponsored

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ran the previous tank down to 10m to empty, the gauge(digital), indicated 0 bar. I ran the pump on slow and I got cold feet, so I shut it off at 14.5g. The tank before I put 14g in.

This subject is going to be uncovered one day, the next fill up I do will be a slow fill and I am going to try to put 15g in. There's others on here that have put 16g in.

I don't recommend this practice, but I do know if you slow fill, you will get more in there. Most people say it damages this or that, time will tell.
I believe slow fill is totally fine, it may even be preferred to prevent an “early click” before you’re actually close to optimal fuel level. It’s just not recommended to fill past the “real” full click. My first fuelup I set the handle on max flow and I got an early click at 7gallons. I remembered the advice about going down a notch to avoid that and it’s been good since. I think 14-14.5 is normal when you really go far down towards empty. The guy who puts in 16-17…🤦‍

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I m with you on the 14-14.5 is normal, cool, past that is uncharted territory. There's several people, several times on here that have done 14.5 and we haven't gotten any negative press from it yet..so inch out from there? I m going to 15g next fill up..

There's a 17g fill up that I have heard of. So we will see, 15g next up.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I m with you on the 14-14.5 is normal, cool, past that is uncharted territory. There's several people, several times on here that have done 14.5 and we haven't gotten any negative press from it yet..so inch out from there? I m going to 15g next fill up..

There's a 17g fill up that I have heard of. So we will see, 15g next up.
Why are you trying to put more gas in?

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good question

More fuel tank capacity=higher range...

+ really like to know, how far i can take it down to. Know both limitations

Sponsored

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isn't there something to keeping tank full for a couple reasons?

Or is that old school thinking? This is all new to me.

We were taught to keep tank full for, reduce condensation in tank? Less fill up equate to less contamination in tank. Higher fuel level=less ariation of fuel for pump to last longer?

raymaines

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alto Blue Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Overall, I think I'd just as soon fill up when there was only, say, 10-12 gallons of space in the tank. You don't get bonus points or a discount at Walmart for running the tank dry.

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
U get bonus points for not buying a pump, when the tank is open is when you get contamination in fuel, less ariation of fuel by reducing sloshing.

Most people here are concerned about running them low. Harder on the pump. So with that thought full tank, would be better for pump?

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche Macan S/2023 Integra 6MT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I set the pump to the middle flow click, when it clicks off I stop (unless it is obviously wrong), and I drive until empty and do it again. No need to overthink it.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just filled up my hybrid for the first time (560 miles) and put in 14.78 gallons. The gauge said I had an eighth of a tank left and I didn't overfill as per instructions. Somethings odd.
I went to high school with a guy whose lifetime job wound up being to travel throughout Texas to check service stations pumps for proper delivery of gasoline. On occasion he would discover pumps that had to be recalibrated to deliver the same amount of gasoline that was being registered on the pump. 🤔

Sponsored

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Makin, you bring up a very good point here that I don't think people realize, there are so many differences between fuel pumps out there, pressure, flow, backfill pressure, quantity calibrations just to name a few.

I set mine to slow fill and it bypasses the shut off that others see on one click off. There's so much differences to the settings its tough to say do this or that. I like to know how much I put in mine, how much mine holds.

I usually use the same Sunoco station and try to get the same dispenser pump, to minimize some of these variations.

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not sure I
I'm guessing it wasn't entirely full previously. Easier to keep track when you are the one pumping it the same way every time.
Not sure I'm following not filling the tank previously and putting in 14.3 g

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thats what we want to accomplish, to truly understand what the maximum safe fuel capacity is and regulate the fuel station pumps to suite our need.

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When the fuel gauge shows empty you generally have 10-30 miles of reserve gas remaining to get to a gas station safely. Objectively, you should never let you vehicle get that low to find out..
I don't know about hybrids but on the ecoboost I've noticed that it will always calculate your mileage that you have about 100 miles left at a quarter of a tank.

chrisehyoung

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Hybrid, Lux, Copilot, Shadow black
Overall, I think I'd just as soon fill up when there was only, say, 10-12 gallons of space in the tank. You don't get bonus points or a discount at Walmart for running the tank dry.
Here in Canada, at Petro-Canada stations, you get bonus points for a fill up of 50 litres or more. ;-)
Sponsored