Sponsored

Hybrid Pedestrian Alert Noise (Reverse/Drive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

why do you want to disable it? are you planning to run ove blind people walking behind your truck? it's there for a reason.
It's 'Merica and it's my right to do what I want without regard for others.
Sponsored

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

frrocketdan

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Has anybody looked into disabling the Hybrid noise that emits from the truck when in drive or reverse? I’ve found videos of Hybrid F150’s being modded to disable them

I think it’d be the same for the Maverick Hybrid. Has anybody successfully done this already?
Pickups and SUVs are already more dangerous to pedestrians. The sounds are an important safety measure. Without them, it can be nearly impossible for pedestrians to hear your vehicle. Please do not disable them.

gstiglitz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't think it's necessary malicious to disable the system. But it is dangerous and foolish. Thousands of pedestrians are killed every year, and tens of thousands are injured, in the US. Whether the fault of the driver or the pedestrian, this sucks. Overlooking the small annoyance of an unpleasant noise seems like a worthy hardship if it saves lives.
The odds of backing over a blind person walking behind your truck is astronomical.

teh603

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Subaru Outback, '09 Honda Fit
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hybrids and EVs are VERY quiet, so the pedestrian warning system is actually damn important. Not just for keeping people with limited vision safe, but for anyone who might be distracted--including the driver. Disabling it seems shortsighted at best, and idiotic at worst. I'm guessing that the police, insurance companies, and courts aren't too understanding when there's an accident involving a vehicle with a disabled system.
Pickups and SUVs are already more dangerous to pedestrians. The sounds are an important safety measure. Without them, it can be nearly impossible for pedestrians to hear your vehicle. Please do not disable them.
Isn't the Hybrid Maverick's reverse "gear" electric only? Like, the gas engine doesn't even turn on for it. An electric vehicle is completely silent barring the road noises you get at high speed. And if you're like me and zone out pretty bad when you're walking, you depend on the beep beep noise (or whatever it is the Maverick makes) to let you know there's an otherwise silent vehicle about to back over you.
Don't see this happening in Texas very often. Where do you live that blind people purposely walk behind hybrids hoping to get run over?

I'm thinking an attorney might be behind this trend.
Might want to have a look at 49 CFR 571.141 in the Code of Federal Regulations, especially the differences between tables 1 and 2. Minimum noise for electric (and hybrid) vehicles in reverse is notably higher than ones moving forward. And the purpose of the regulation itself in S2 says "to reduce the number of injuries that result from electric and hybrid vehicle crashes with pedestrians."

Now, I'm not an attorney, but that regulation looks like it wouldn't be here if someone hadn't already gotten backed over.

Sponsored

Nightowl

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This has escalated quickly. Just because the OP is looking for ways to silence the artificial noise his Maverick puts out when operating under electric power, doesn't mean he's homicidal.

In my 30+ years as a driver, I can think of no occasions when I almost ran over an impaired pedestrian but was saved only by the noise my vehicle was making.

Last edited:

LanceHF

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 BMW 328i, 94 Porsche 968
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I couldn't figure out for days after I got my hybrid what the noise was. I thought I had a problem. This alert noise isn't mentioned anywhere in the 500+ page owners manual. Strange omission in my opinion.

OP
OP

Stock411

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I couldn't figure out for days after I got my hybrid what the noise was. I thought I had a problem. This alert noise isn't mentioned anywhere in the 500+ page owners manual. Strange omission in my opinion.
In my opinion the noise sounds cheap. I like the noise some other EV’s make it’s not very obnoxious.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This has escalated quickly. Just because the OP is looking for ways to silence the artificial noise his Maverick puts out when operating under electric power, doesn't mean he's homicidal.

In my 30+ years as a driver, I can think of no occasions when I almost ran over an impaired pedestrian but was saved only by the noise my vehicle was making.
Wow, you have to nearly kill a person with a vehicle before you care. Yikes.

Sponsored

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The odds of backing over a blind person walking behind your truck is astronomical.
The odds of backing over an idiot walking behind your truck while looking at their phone is anything but astronomical.

Save lives and injuries by keeping the backup beep on.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The odds of backing over an idiot walking behind your truck while looking at their phone is anything but astronomical.

Save lives and injuries by keeping the backup beep on.
Gee, I dunno, a sound that harms absolutely no one except people who get worked up over literally nothing...

... or even a minute chance that a human or other life-form is injured in a collision with your vehicle?

I vote for not blowing up nothing into some huge thing and leaving it alone to do its job.

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV 4 / 2022 Maverick Lariat
Need help, how do you turn the noise on. I have nothing but quiet.

I can't be the only one with a Hybrid Lariat that produces quite in reverse. Off to the dealer on Monday. Don't want to crush any neighbor's kids while backing out of the garage.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.