Sponsored

Flat towing Hybrid Maverick why limited to 70mph?

joeboxer22

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Honda Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I sure hope the vehicle can go faster than that . I assume its to not over rev one of the electric motors. If this has been discussed already forgive me Im fairly new to this forum.
Sponsored

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
I sure hope the vehicle can go faster than that . I assume its to not over rev one of the electric motors. If this has been discussed already forgive me Im fairly new to this forum.
There is likely a technical reason as well, but it may simply be that Ford had to give a limit and the idea of a driverless maverick launching at 71mph was too much liability

more likely it is that wear levels do not increase linearly with linear velocity increases

pure supposition on my part

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I sure hope the vehicle can go faster than that .
I'm sure it can, when it is being driven.;)

There are two flat-towing specs in the manual for the hybrid (no flat-towing for the EcoBoost).

If it is inoperable, the max speed is 35 mph. If it is operable (recreational towing) the max is 70 mph.
The difference is probably because for recreational towing they say to start it and run it for a few minutes at the start and after every 6 hours of towing (plus some shifting). If it is inoperable, you might not be able to comply with that.

I don't know if the 70 mph limit is based on mechanical issues or safety issues. Meaning... I guess you could tow it faster but I don't know what the result would be.

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Honestly, I've never towed anything at over 70 mph...so is that a thing people do? I can't personally imagine driving an rv at much over 70 mph, much less doing it while towing a truck.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've never towed anything at over 70 mph...so is that a thing people do?
I live out west but travel back east to see family. And by "back east" I mean Texas.

I've had plenty of RVs towing cars blow by me at 80+ out in west Texas.
I'm not sure if it's legal, but it's not rare (at least there).

Sponsored

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Honestly, I've never towed anything at over 70 mph...so is that a thing people do? I can't personally imagine driving an rv at much over 70 mph, much less doing it while towing a truck.
I am that guy running 80 with the trailer behind me.

dceggert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion, 2019 Ranger, 2024 Maverick ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My 2019 + Ranger 4x4 is flat towable up to 65 MPH. Yay! 5 more MPH with the Maverick. 🥂

mav_can

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, 2018 Mustang EB Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm sure it can, when it is being driven.;)

There are two flat-towing specs in the manual for the hybrid (no flat-towing for the EcoBoost).

If it is inoperable, the max speed is 35 mph. If it is operable (recreational towing) the max is 70 mph.
The difference is probably because for recreational towing they say to start it and run it for a few minutes at the start and after every 6 hours of towing (plus some shifting). If it is inoperable, you might not be able to comply with that.

I don't know if the 70 mph limit is based on mechanical issues or safety issues. Meaning... I guess you could tow it faster but I don't know what the result would be.
Actually I noticed this in the manual too, the procedure of having to run it every 6 hours. This is interesting to me because my understanding is we won’t be able to control when the 2.5L ICE actually comes on in the hybrid, and I thought the engine wasn’t even likely to turn on at first “start” unless it needed to for climate control or the battery was low.

Does this imply that the hybrid will have some sort of mode that‘ll allow us to turn on the 2.5L ICE?

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
All automatics have speed limits when towing recreationally four down, most are 65. Some manual transmission vehicles do not have a limit, so these are probably the ones doing 80+. Yes I am buying the hybrid to tow behind my motorhome.
Ford Maverick Flat towing Hybrid Maverick why limited to 70mph? E2118215-195D-485C-851D-F477BF8CD5DD

Sponsored

Rivers90

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor, Xterra, Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Most vehicle's that are ok for flat towing have a limit on speed and number of miles before they need to be run. But the transmission of the Maverick does have two motor generator's that both turn when the vehicle moves. The bigger one can go much faster then 70 no problem. I think the smaller one is tired to the engine in a way that when the gas engine runs it subtracts from the speed of the smaller motor as it is acting as a generator. So when flat towing the engine is off and the smaller motor spins faster then when being driven and the engine is on. Also this would mean over 70MPH the gas engine would always be on. But this is just how other hybrids work, with no one having a maverick yet I don't think we can know the answer.
keep it under 70, or get a tow dolly.

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Actually I noticed this in the manual too, the procedure of having to run it every 6 hours. This is interesting to me because my understanding is we won’t be able to control when the 2.5L ICE actually comes on in the hybrid, and I thought the engine wasn’t even likely to turn on at first “start” unless it needed to for climate control or the battery was low.

Does this imply that the hybrid will have some sort of mode that‘ll allow us to turn on the 2.5L ICE?
There is a specific procedure that must be followed before flat towing, it is not just setting it in neutral. The six hours is to circulate fresh fluid throughout the eCVT. Six hours works as that is time to gas up anyone or stretch your legs.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
... the transmission of the Maverick does have two motor generator's that both turn when the vehicle moves. The bigger one can go much faster then 70 no problem. I think the smaller one is tired to the engine in a way that when the gas engine runs it subtracts from the speed of the smaller motor as it is acting as a generator. So when flat towing the engine is off and the smaller motor spins faster then when being driven and the engine is on. ...
This is very perceptive.

Yes, traction motor RPM is tied to the wheel speed, but the limit is 120+ mph. The charging motor is linked to the ICE as well as the wheels, and its RPM range is what allows the ICE to stop. I believe the Escape Hybrid has an 85 mph EV-only limit, implying the ICE has to turn at higher speeds. That would be consistent with your description. Hard to say without a simulator.

dceggert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion, 2019 Ranger, 2024 Maverick ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There is a specific procedure that must be followed before flat towing, it is not just setting it in neutral. The six hours is to circulate fresh fluid throughout the eCVT. Six hours works as that is time to gas up anyone or stretch your legs.
Yes, exactly. When stopping for fuel, rest areas, switching drivers, eating meals, visiting roadside attractions, etc. it will be no problem to run the vehicle for the required minute. I typically do a walk around the rig anyway at every stop to check tire temps, make sure doors are still closed, etc.

I once stopped to make sandwiches and on my walk around I heard a tire hissing quietly. I quickly placed my bottle jack under the frame so it would not drop too far to get it under when the tire was completely flat. I then proceeded to make lunch for the crew. After lunch I used the situation as a learning experience and had the two teenage boys on this trip change the tire. Good for them it was one of the fronts and not one of the duals. After a lot of groaning and grumping they did a fine job and we talked about tires and why this happened. Sitting prominently in the tread was a shiny new wood screw. I then explained that they just changed a tire on a motorhome so it this happens on their car someday it will be a lot easier for them! LOL....

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Most vehicle's that are ok for flat towing have a limit on speed and number of miles before they need to be run. But the transmission of the Maverick does have two motor generator's that both turn when the vehicle moves. The bigger one can go much faster then 70 no problem. I think the smaller one is tired to the engine in a way that when the gas engine runs it subtracts from the speed of the smaller motor as it is acting as a generator. So when flat towing the engine is off and the smaller motor spins faster then when being driven and the engine is on. Also this would mean over 70MPH the gas engine would always be on. But this is just how other hybrids work, with no one having a maverick yet I don't think we can know the answer.
keep it under 70, or get a tow dolly.
OK I just found this old thread, don't know anything as have no experience except what +/- I have read. I take the 35 mph limit for inoperable = key off = nothing is allowed to use current and maybe the limited oil in the transaxle housing maybe needs to be circulated every six hours when ice runs (?). 70 mph (arbitrarily chosen due to being a 4 wheel two axle trailer) for operable = key on = ice is allowed to run if any condition arises that requires it. I assume key on not key accessory neutral being key on pedal not depressed. Ice will run when drive battery is below minimum (30-40%?) Or drive battery is below minimum operating temp Or ice needs to heat coolant/catalytic converter/etc. The twelve volt battery is used for all 12 volt circuits including ice starting (at least under some conditions). Do not know but suspect that while towing small gen motor is drawing current from drive battery to clamp rpms of drive motor/generator as I think it can spin rapidly. And maybe at 35 mph clamping current is not needed but at 70mph everything is ok except drive battery may be at risk. Don't know if they do this but they said "70mph if vehicle is operable.
Sponsored