James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ask you dealer if they can add one and leave key on the truck
But if he left key fob on the truck wouldn't it stay in "ready mode" and keep HVB warm and start ice occasionally? Maybe if he bought the safe he could put it in it if it was a good enough faraday cage? Then all he would need in his pocket is a piece of paper with the safe code on it.🤔

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided
Sheesh. Of course I would buy the truck, even with a stupidly bigger key. Am I not allowed to dislike something small, even when I love everything else about it?
Hey don't put it back on me man. You were the one who was complaining about a stupidly big key.

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

If its that big I got a fun idea. I hate key fobs, and one of the selling points on the Maverick for me is that it has a metal key. I dont want a remote lock/alarm/security chip deal. No one is going to steal my car, I dont allow that sort of thing. So my idea is, saw off the the metal part of the key and weld a regular keep head to it, or whatever metal token you prefer. Then just leave the electronic bit in the console. So it can tell the vehicle that its okay to start it.

Just an idea. Could work.

RonFLA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I hate key fobs…So my idea is, saw off the the metal part of the key and weld a regular keep head to it, or whatever metal token you prefer.
This use to be called a “Valet key”. Not sure if you could just have the dealer order one or have one made locally.

I do agree, Maverick key fob is comically large for it’s functionality. It could be slimmer. There are a bunch of Chinese replacement housing for key fobs that will change the profile of the fob. I have seen one where it deletes the switchblade key mechanism, thus reducing overall profile. Unfortunately, since it’s new, the trick is disassembling your fob and verifying that the internals will fit the replacement housing.

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have to admit that the Lariat keyless fob is larger than I expected. Not a big deal to me. But I had it in my jacket pocket with my wife's Kia keyless fob today. And the size and heft difference is significant. The Mav's is also much thicker.

But one advantage is I can tell them apart in my pocket! :cool:

Caper

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Coming from a vehicle with no key fob I found this an issue as well. I have decided that keeping the key fob separate from my other keys helps. Since I don't actually have to touch the fob I just keep it in a zipped vest or jacket pocket and have embraced the touch door entry and push button start.

I also have a quick snap connect to put the fob and keys together if needed.

I will likely have to live with the Ford bulge in the summer I guess though.

thosw

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OK, I've found one thing that I really hate about my new Maverick: the enormous key/fob. I've never owned a Ford before, so maybe it's normal for all of their vehicles? But it's like carrying a can of Coke in pocket (ok, maybe a slight exaggeration). What the hell? None of my other cars have had anything so big.

I should probably just Google this, but has anyone else ever used a replacement key/fob that's nice and trim?
That’s one of the main reasons why I ordered the Lariat trim. I hate carrying keys in my pocket. I attach the key fob to a plastic swivel hook and clip it to my belt loop. I’m hands-free and pocket-free then. The Lariat’s key-free push button start was huge for me.

Ford Maverick HUGE key/fob E9D19B19-C725-4A4A-9570-F4C8B80399DA

Sponsored

abcinv

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Tundra DBL Cab Limited 4WD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It can't be bigger than my Volvo key...right??
Ford Maverick HUGE key/fob Volvo key

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They are all stupid huge. The last non -fob car key I had, I cut the ears off it so it was just the keyring looped through the shaft. Sat very small in the pocket. Since then I gave up on pocketing them and put everything on a carabiner that hangs from a beltloop. Worst part is they are mostly just air inside. They could make a key with a head just big enough for a battery on one side and some small buttons on the other. But no, the powers that be have dictated that we need to carry these bloated fobs around.

Edogg1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep renegade desert hawk
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This appears to be just a matter of what you’re use to. These are my 2 keys. I carry them every day. They are bulky but I’ve managed I guess because I’m use to them. Had volkswagens before, almost the same key as the Ford. Not really a big deal because I really haven’t known anything different.
Ford Maverick HUGE key/fob 36A73507-0C3E-4001-9275-911833519BF3