Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OK, I've found one thing that I really hate about my new Maverick: the enormous key/fob. I've never owned a Ford before, so maybe it's normal for all of their vehicles? But it's like carrying a can of Coke in pocket (ok, maybe a slight exaggeration). What the hell? None of my other cars have had anything so big.

I should probably just Google this, but has anyone else ever used a replacement key/fob that's nice and trim?
Sponsored

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OK, I've found one thing that I really hate about my new Maverick: the enormous key/fob. I've never owned a Ford before, so maybe it's normal for all of their vehicles? But it's like carrying a can of Coke in pocket (ok, maybe a slight exaggeration). What the hell? None of my other cars have had anything so big.

I should probably just Google this, but has anyone else ever used a replacement key/fob that's nice and trim?
Use the keypad

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

As long as it works I am good

Sponsored

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Good for you!

But I like leaving room in my pants for other "hardware."
Whatever
That’s a BS reply or insinuation. Very manly on your part.

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided
Perhaps you should have done more research before you bought Fords entry level vehicle.

Do you have any pictures of this overly large key fob compared to other vehicles in its class? My guess is you do not.

This post reminds me of a guy who bought off the lot and is surprised by what he got. Give me a fuckin break bro....:rolleyes:

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
XL doesn't have a keypad. And you can't start the truck with the keypad.
Ask you dealer if they can add one and leave key on the truck

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My XLT key fob is; 1/4 inch longer, and 1/4 inch narrower
and 3/16 thicker than my 2016 Prius key fob

No matter if I drive the Prius or the Maverick, I have a lump in my pants or coat pocket. Except my wife's Prius key fob (that I borrow) also has a name tag and 3 keys on it. My Maverick key fob has nothing added.

I got no complaints. Seems pretty normal. Some people just expected what they already had once or on another vehicle. I didn't expect things to be the same with a truck that never existed before now so I am not unhappy and can accept what I got for the money I paid. After having 65 cars/trucks and 41 motorcycles I like that thing are never totally the same and I get new experiences. Some good, some are ok, if you think bad, the options are to fix it or accept it. Move on.

Last edited:
Sponsored

Whitenight

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat, 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
None of my other cars have had anything so big.
That's because none of your other cars have grown up yet to be a vehicle to be reckoned with!

Crazy

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Terrain

It’s HUGE.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think keyfobs are going to be on their way out soon anyway. Pretty much everyone carries a smartphone with them, and a keypad + smartphone solves most issues.

One less thing to carry around, easier to find since the phone has all kinds of tools for that, smartphones are more secure, and the only issue I could see happening is that you run out of battery in which case you use the keypad and then plug the phone in when in the vehicle to your emergency backup battery/jumper battery. Alternatively, without a keypad you can also keep a backup NFC card in your wallet.

Santa Cruz has that, but you have to spend $37K to get it on a SEL Premium as lower trims don't have it.

Ford has something called FordPass, but it has limited functionality.

OP
OP
Snax

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Whatever
That’s a BS reply or insinuation. Very manly on your part.
Humor, my friend. Chill

Perhaps you should have done more research before you bought Fords entry level vehicle.

Do you have any pictures of this overly large key fob compared to other vehicles in its class? My guess is you do not.

This post reminds me of a guy who bought off the lot and is surprised by what he got. Give me a fuckin break bro....:rolleyes:
Sheesh. Of course I would buy the truck, even with a stupidly bigger key. Am I not allowed to dislike something small, even when I love everything else about it?

OC-D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It’s not that big, bigger slightly than the Nissan key fob that they’ve used since forever, smaller than an Infiniti newer keyfob, way smaller than other techie cars though. I like the switchblade though I hate taking it out of my pocket, push to start should just be standard in 2021
Sponsored