Sponsored

How to get more MPG from hybrid Maverick?

Firstfordguy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid, 2009 Mazda Miata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
hello, Maverick will be my first ever hybrid vehicle and also a first truck from Ford. I know some of the journalists mention the truck can get up to 50 mpg in hybrid trim. I'm curious how previous owners of hybrid can milk out such a higher mpg, ie. via driving dynamics behaviors, or this is mostly city driving. How about downhill speed. I own a manual transmission vehicle and it's kind of fun to breeze thru long downhill with the transmission in neutral.
Sponsored

mav_can

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, 2018 Mustang EB Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Even on your current vehicle, if it’s newer than say 2007 or so, you’re actually using more fuel by coasting in neutral than if you coasted in your current gear. Modern transmissions cut fuel to the engine when coasting downhill because that’s more efficient than coasting in neutral but spending fuel just to keep the engine running. It also puts more wear on your trans to coast in neutral.
They wouldn’t implement this technology if it was less efficient that’s
for sure.

Anyway even more so on the Hybrid with regen braking. The point is that the car is optimized for efficiency already so other than using cruise control or anything else, just focus on tapping the brakes less and stuff like that.

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
I own a manual transmission vehicle and it's kind of fun to breeze thru long downhill with the transmission in neutral.
I hope you're double-clutching, or at least rev-matching, before you put the trans back into gear while still moving. Otherwise you will greatly reduce the life of the synchros in the transmission.

Your vehicle will get better gas mileage if you coast in gear, even if the RPMs are higher than idle since the wheels are doing most of the work of keeping the engine turning. If you coast in neutral, the engine has to run at idle speed so it doesn't stall out.

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
Some of the above addresses your question. Going down hill the gas engine is not burning gas and you'll see the gauge go to pure regen/charge mode. As mentioned above, cruise control helps a lot. SLOW take offs help. If you hit the pedal taking off you'll see the MPG's drop quick.

I've said it in other posts, you have to make up your mind now as to why you are buying a Hybrid. If it's for the MPG then you may need a mind adjustment. I say that with no disrespect. I am a speed demon. I have never gone the speed limit a day in my life, I drive fast everywhere.

Fast forward to 2019 when I purchased my first Hybrid. I made up my mind I was buying the car for the MPG NOT performance. So with that I made the decision to go the speed limit. If it's posted 65, I drive 65. Likewise 45 I drive 45. With that said, I step on it when passing or when I need to but the real thing is YOU. You have to make the conscious decision every time you drive you purchased the vehicle to save on gas. If you can't make that decision, BUY the EcoBoost as you won't be happy.

I leave my Hybrid car in Eco Mode. I have a Sport and Neutral mode as well. But it stays in Eco. If I need to move I have plenty of headroom to go. But I drive the speed limit. That is the best tool I've found so far to save on gas. You can see in my signature block my actual MPG in real time. That is posted from my Fuelly account and is updated with every fuel up. I believe I'm getting AVG 44.5 today. The window sticker says top is 43 MPG. My best is 49.8. It was 98% Interstate Highway. But with the mindset, you can rack the MPG's easy. Hope this helps a little.

EDIT: If you drive normally over the speed limit and jack rabbit starts, high speed everywhere, every day, you will NOT benefit from a Hybrid. Just say'n

Sponsored

hcforde

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight, E350, Toyota Sequoia
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Need to experiment with various speeds to find your "sweet" spot, mine is between 60-65 mph on my Ford C Max hybrid and I have averaged 41.7 mpg over 6 yrs and 166000 miles.
Fast forward to 2019 when I purchased my first Hybrid. I made up my mind I was buying the car for the MPG NOT performance. So with that I made the decision to go the speed limit. If it's posted 65, I drive 65. Likewise 45 I drive 45. With that said, I step on it when passing or when I need to but the real thing is YOU. You have to make the conscious decision every time you drive you purchased the vehicle to save on gas. If you can't make that decision, BUY the EcoBoost as you won't be happy.

I leave my Hybrid car in Eco Mode. I have a Sport and Neutral mode as well. But it stays in Eco. If I need to move I have plenty of headroom to go. But I drive the speed limit. That is the best tool I've found so far to save on gas. You can see in my signature block my actual MPG in real time. That is posted from my Fuelly account and is updated with every fuel up. I believe I'm getting AVG 44.5 today. The window sticker says top is 43 MPG. My best is 49.8. It was 98% Interstate Highway. But with the mindset, you can rack the MPG's easy. Hope this helps a little.

EDIT: If you drive normally over the speed limit and jack rabbit starts, high speed everywhere, every day, you will NOT benefit from a Hybrid. Just say'n
What they said^^^!!!

The other thing is if you learn how to drive a hybrid "properly" It will lower your insurance if you attach one of their dongles. It records and sends data concerning how heavy your foot is, jack rabbit starts and speeding. The ultimate question is why are you buying a hybrid? As SgtLip said if you are not willing to learn and change, you won't be happy.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
I'm curious how previous owners of hybrid can milk out such a higher mpg, ie. via driving dynamics behaviors, or this is mostly city driving. How about downhill speed.
Without going into "why," here are a few techniques from the Escape Hybrid.

Try to EV up to ~20 mph from a stop. It requires a gentle throttle foot, and a good 50% HVB charge level. EV Coach will show you how much EV is available.

Run the engine in its happy place, at low RPM under high load. Use uphill stretches to speed up. Sacrifice a little speed to stay in the happy place. Remember that long, gentle ICE burns have benefits for HVB charge level.

Try to extend EV glide length. As EV Available shrinks, reduce throttle to keep the ICE off. Very low throttle EV will go a long time, take the HVB way down.

Use the latter two to "ride the terrain." ICE uphill, EV down. Size of the hill doesn't matter; any crest is a good reason to drop into EV. This is not something you can do with cruise control.

Understand the EV drivetrain limits.
- I never get more than 20kW EV without ICE coming on, and then it maxes at 35kW.
- Maximum regen braking is 35kW, so start early for a good braking score.

Give yourself time to learn. I got a C-Max in 2013, and have had this Escape for 30K miles. I'm only now learning how to get really good mileage... 57.3 mpg at 51.3 mph this afternoon, over 81 miles, half 65 mph interstate, half 55 mph 2-lane. I think there's a little downhill....

I made up my mind I was buying the car for the MPG NOT performance.
It's just a different aspect of performance.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just set cruise control on the highway to be on the slower side and stay right, try to keep your speed up in the turns, anticipate slow downs and stops, and don't accelerate too aggressively.

But don't be one of those pulse and glide jerkwads saving 2 cents in fuel and annoying everyone on the highway by not maintaining a constant speed.

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Cruise control is my friend in my Prius. I use it all I can. It keeps me from getting a ticket (yes a Prius can go fast enough to get a ticket). Cruise is more steady than I am on the throttle. If speed limit is 55 I set it around 60-61 (or you have a jerk trying to run over you). On 4 lane freeway posted 65 I set it at 69 and stay in right lane with music going. (actually I think it is 1 mile per hour fast so to me 70 set = 69 actual speed). You should know how accurate your speedometer is at 45-55-65. When in a 70 limit I set cruise to 71 so it easier on me and the car.

mav_can

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, 2018 Mustang EB Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sponsored

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
hello, Maverick will be my first ever hybrid vehicle and also a first truck from Ford. I know some of the journalists mention the truck can get up to 50 mpg in hybrid trim. I'm curious how previous owners of hybrid can milk out such a higher mpg, ie. via driving dynamics behaviors, or this is mostly city driving. How about downhill speed. I own a manual transmission vehicle and it's kind of fun to breeze thru long downhill with the transmission in neutral.
Every 10 miles turn it off, leave in Neutral and get out then push it for a mile or more... great exercise and YOU get that better MPG!

PCL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline (stopped waiting on Maverick)

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
Every 10 miles turn it off, leave in Neutral and get out then push it for a mile
Not a winning strategy to be sure... Far better to stay in D, turn it off, and coast 4 of those 10 miles.

Remember, the Hybrid Game is scored by mileage@speed. Driving slow is trivial.

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Let's hope Maverick owners do not drive like some Prius owners. Sitting in left lane at 62 mph (70 mph area) for best fuel economy, no concern for slowing down.
Sponsored

Last edited: