Sponsored

How to get more MPG from hybrid Maverick?

KimTexas

First Name
Berly Ann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid - 🌵 Grey
A light foot at take off, learning to coast when you can, apply the brakes slow and steady for regin and barely touch the peddle. Try to keep the power meter as close to zero as possible. I drive 85% hwy at hwy speeds in excess of 75 in normal mode and am averaging 38.6 now to 38.9. I won't ever hit 50 because I don't drive enough city miles but will say this: I drive my Hybrid like a truck. I don't get to wrapped up in frugal driving and I enjoy the occasional stomp the pedal moments that put a smile on my face because this little pickup will move! I actually do that more than I should but Oh well, she's mine and that's what I wanna do! I think the hybrid system is amazing, so smooth, just goes when you ask it to without any weird sounds, grinding, jerking etc. 3 weeks into ownership, I still love it and have zero complaints.
Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A light foot at take off, learning to coast when you can, apply the brakes slow and steady for regin and barely touch the peddle. Try to keep the power meter as close to zero as possible. I drive 85% hwy at hwy speeds in excess of 75 in normal mode and am averaging 38.6 now to 38.9. I won't ever hit 50 because I don't drive enough city miles but will say this: I drive my Hybrid like a truck. I don't get to wrapped up in frugal driving and I enjoy the occasional stomp the pedal moments that put a smile on my face because this little pickup will move! I actually do that more than I should but Oh well, she's mine and that's what I wanna do! I think the hybrid system is amazing, so smooth, just goes when you ask it to without any weird sounds, grinding, jerking etc. 3 weeks into ownership, I still love it and have zero complaints.
girls just wanna have fun

First Name
Paulj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick HEV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
hello, Maverick will be my first ever hybrid vehicle and also a first truck from Ford. I know some of the journalists mention the truck can get up to 50 mpg in hybrid trim. I'm curious how previous owners of hybrid can milk out such a higher mpg, ie. via driving dynamics behaviors, or this is mostly city driving. How about downhill speed. I own a manual transmission vehicle and it's kind of fun to breeze thru long downhill with the transmission in neutral.
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRWSGcQX/

First Name
Paulj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick HEV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
hello, Maverick will be my first ever hybrid vehicle and also a first truck from Ford. I know some of the journalists mention the truck can get up to 50 mpg in hybrid trim. I'm curious how previous owners of hybrid can milk out such a higher mpg, ie. via driving dynamics behaviors, or this is mostly city driving. How about downhill speed. I own a manual transmission vehicle and it's kind of fun to breeze thru long downhill with the transmission in neutral.

garnermike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An Outback, an Ioniq, a Corvette, a Fiat Spider
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Over the first 5000 miles in my hybrid Lariat, I've averaged 44 mpg. Heavy on the city driving side in ECO mode. Using an egg-shell touch on the pedal. My highest MPG tankful of 47 mpg was from a lot of suburban driving (not a lot of stop-and-go; lots of 45-50 mph driving). My one long trip on the interstate, I averaged 40 mpg.
I see some on here mentioning consistently getting 50 mpg. That is a mystery to me. If true, it might have something to do with the geography of roads they mostly drive on.

Ford Maverick How to get more MPG from hybrid Maverick? MPG as of Jan 28 2023 -- 11 months

Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Over the first 5000 miles in my hybrid Lariat, I've averaged 44 mpg. Heavy on the city driving side in ECO mode. Using an egg-shell touch on the pedal. My highest MPG tankful of 47 mpg was from a lot of suburban driving (not a lot of stop-and-go; lots of 45-50 mph driving). My one long trip on the interstate, I averaged 40 mpg.
I see some on here mentioning consistently getting 50 mpg. That is a mystery to me. If true, it might have something to do with the geography of roads they mostly drive on.

MPG as of Jan 28 2023 -- 11 months.jpg
Slippery mode is best, hands down, if you are doing stop n go, or a lot of stop signs and stoplights. I uncovered this on day 11 of ownership. Best tank was 770 miles (with about a gallon of reserve left) in September & October. (Tank lasted 6 weeks.) As weather has cooled, I've not been able to best that.

I've noted about 5 MPG benefit to forcing EV as much as possible vs. letting the truck "do its thing".

So if weather and conditions only get you 35 MPG, forcing EV might boost you to 40. If your climate allows 45 mpg normally, forcing EV may boost you to 50.

These experiences are my own.
But logically, if you are not depleting your battery on a regular basis, you are toting around a charged battery on a regular basis. In my book, a charged battery is dead weight. Like the air bags, there when you need it, but not helpful most of the time.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Guy

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paulj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick HEV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You replied to a year and a half old post by a member that hasn't been on the forum in over a year. (y)
Lol. Either I am a savior for resurrecting an old thread or I am a loser for resurrecting an old thread. Regardless of which it is, I will throw back another shot of Turkey and enjoy the show. :)

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yeah, I'm a hybrid owner, and I've actually managed to achieve 90+ mpg for one very short trip. This was not at all typical, and certainly not sustainable - it was driving home from my daughter's See pic below), with the HVB fully recharged from a 15-minute drive to do some shopping, and from her house to mine there is only one uphill - which was the only time the ICE ran at all...

Ford Maverick How to get more MPG from hybrid Maverick? IMG_1845

More typically, I'm averaging in-town about what the EPA said I would for highway driving (right around 42 mpg). But my driving has been unusually skewed to highway driving (@75 mph between Austin and Dallas - multiple times), plus a good bit of driving on the freeway here in the Austin area. Hadn't been outside the immediate Austin area for almost a year until Christmas, and now it seems I'm in DFW every few weeks...

By the way, I used the "Engineering Test Mode" to adjust the onboard fuel usage computer to be pretty much dead-on accurate. There's a good post on how to do that elsewhere here in the MTC.
Engineering Test Mode thread

Ford Truck Guy

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, I'm a hybrid owner, and I've actually managed to achieve 90+ mpg for one very short trip. This was not at all typical, and certainly not sustainable - it was driving home from my daughter's See pic below), with the HVB fully recharged from a 15-minute drive to do some shopping, and from her house to mine there is only one uphill - which was the only time the ICE ran at all...

IMG_1845.jpeg

More typically, I'm averaging in-town about what the EPA said I would for highway driving (right around 42 mpg). But my driving has been unusually skewed to highway driving (@75 mph between Austin and Dallas - multiple times), plus a good bit of driving on the freeway here in the Austin area. Hadn't been outside the immediate Austin area for almost a year until Christmas, and now it seems I'm in DFW every few weeks...

By the way, I used the "Engineering Test Mode" to adjust the onboard fuel usage computer to be pretty much dead-on accurate. There's a good post on how to do that elsewhere here in the MTC.
Engineering Test Mode thread
I had a trip like that yesterday.
Ford Maverick How to get more MPG from hybrid Maverick? 42CBC629-3318-436C-8904-DCFCB055101C

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I had a trip like that yesterday.
42CBC629-3318-436C-8904-DCFCB055101C.jpeg
Fun while it lasts, right? I get a real kick out of pushing the mileage when it is practical to do so...
Sponsored