Sponsored

How to fit two 10-foot kayak in the track bed?

Trucklett2023

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This looks great! Any issues with securing and transporting both kayaks together? The link on Amazon only shows one kayak. :)
None at all! You just have to angle the top kayak. There are plenty of tie down anchor points in the maverick bed to secure the kayaks with straps. Also, you can raise and lower the extender. I raise it up slightly above the tailgate so the kayaks would have to slide out at an incline if the straps were to fail. You won’t be even close to the weight limit either. If you have more than the weight limit, your kayaks aren’t kayaks… they’re boats!
Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Same way as this wood? Tailgate half up and some straps. Maybe some carpet scraps to minimze boat dings.
Ford Maverick How to fit two 10-foot kayak in the track bed? IMG_20230920_174245_537

olman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XL Area 51 Eco AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Have a 2 person Malibu XL that is about 10 foot long. Have taken that short distances by putting it in the bed diagonally with the tailgate down.
I put one end in the front corner of bed on passenger side and angle it towards the driver’s side tailgate diagonally.
I have the hitch extender but haven’t had to use it yet.
The diagonal method works for one,would probably have to use the extender for 2 yaks. Also have the soft trifold tonneau cover, I just folded it back to one section,didn’t have t remove it.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I am trying to figure out a way to load/unload the kayaks without having to buy expensive kayak racks. Any suggestions?
I bought a "hitch extender" for my canoes and lumber. Adds another 4-5' after the bed. Haven't unpacked it yet.

Sponsored

JP4AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Hybrid MAV, 04 Dakota 4x4, 02 Lexus, 03 V-Rod +
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Love the "Guard Cat" on duty!
Thats Bobby Boy. What he doesnt know is there is a suspicious looking Flamingo peeking around the post from the other side of the carport. Lookout Bobby!

FamousAmos

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
GAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am trying to figure out a way to load/unload the kayaks without having to buy expensive kayak racks. Any suggestions?
I bought my Maverick expressly to haul my 10-foot fishing kayak. I bought a $70 bed extender that works great, and will fit two kayaks. I fancied mine up with some pool noodles and ties to keep from scratching up the kayak, but it would work fine without the noodles. That is about as cheap as I could get. Good luck.

scottp01

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fiesta (on death's door)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I did two 10fts with the tailgate in the mid position. Threw a ratchet strap to the rear lower bed hooks and worked like a champ.

OP
OP

TheGoodEgg

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great feedback! Next question, what kind of kayak do you recommend? I am looking for an upgraded one that I can do fishing (sit higher with storage strap down) and regular paddling...

Sponsored

Steve Urquell

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is that a 10 foot kayak? Would it work for two kayaks?
I'm not sure on the length. That was a pic from HF's website. Personally I would not have a problem strapping 2 kayaks to it. A strap firmly attached to both sides of the extender and wrapped around the kayaks and they will not go anywhere.

Last edited:

Trucklett2023

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I u
Great feedback! Next question, what kind of kayak do you recommend? I am looking for an upgraded one that I can do fishing (sit higher with storage strap down) and regular paddling...
I like my Ozark Trail - Angler 10. It was only $300 at wal mart. There’s some things that could be better, but for $300, it’s pretty great and a good beginner kayak. Only weighs about 45lbs. Good stability and tracks nicely. Has two recessed rod holders and two rails you could put attachments on. Adjustable foot rests.
Ford Maverick How to fit two 10-foot kayak in the track bed? 71676889684__DA119FB5-90BF-41A1-A1F4-50C7E9FD846D
The dry well is pretty far in front of you though. That’s really my only complaint. The seat is thin? But I can sit on it for a few hours with no issues. There’s some nice looking pelicans with comfortable looking seats for around $500.
Ford Maverick How to fit two 10-foot kayak in the track bed? IMG_6084

Pbpackard

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Pattiblythe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I bought my Maverick expressly to haul my 10-foot fishing kayak. I bought a $70 bed extender that works great, and will fit two kayaks. I fancied mine up with some pool noodles and ties to keep from scratching up the kayak, but it would work fine without the noodles. That is about as cheap as I could get. Good luck.
Do you have a picture. I would like to show hubby.