Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Using Apple Car play is far better and it's free
You and I are in the same boat...I've never seen anything that can touch a SmartPhone (Iphone) and CarPlay with either GoogleMap or Apples GPS....screen size and clarity is far superior than any Garmin model I have. I have the current Garmin Nuvi's and the $800 Garmin Montana 800...left them on the shelf after using CarPlay and Iphone for 10 minutes.

I have the wifi/bluetooth connector but prefer the cable plugged in (seems faster) and is always charged. I also use GalaGPS software. CarPLAY is compatible with GoogleMaps, Apple GPS and GalaGPS. My needs strongly include off-road (dirt) trails that GALAGPS and lower end Garmins can do.

But the Maverick screen can not be beat with a smartphone connection. No updates with any of them...updates are real-time as you use them, new exit ramps, etc, etc are updates daily...automatically since you use the app realtime. Just did an 8,000 mile route cross country - Atlanta to Pacific Ocean...1,000 on dirt/off-roads never an issue with connection. Plus all the Smart-Phone apps all have far greater motel, restaurant, services directions....or if Looking for a Home Depot...verbally enter Home Depot and it shows all of them near you on a map and highlight the closest one...tap the map and it routes to the one touched.

And when listening to music Carplay coordinates GPS verbal Directions with your music (I listen to music with a FlashDrive). If there is no wifi available, GalaGPS does not have wifi if you have a route installed. I Use the iphone in my hand to dictate destination names, or site to get to. GoogleMaps works on the screen just like it does on the Iphone or an Ipad. Far, far easier to use than any Garmin...I cannot find a single thing any of my Garmins can do that is not easier on GoogleMaps. Plus you can minimize or maximize the Carplay screen to meet your vision needs. And GoogleMaps is FREE. Carplay is also compatible to Google Search maps.

Both GoogleMaps and Apple GPS include traffic updates and traffic delay warnings and redirection if you want. Also have an android phone but it is no where near as effective with CarPlay.

I'm very active on a travel website, mostly about GPS's...and the thousands of members are quickly migrating to Carplay and smart phones...and selling their Garmins. Especially since aftermarket Carplay units are down to $100.

I do find that those with bad experiences with SmartPhones as their GPS are those using the less desirable cell phone carriers. My motorcycle riding buddy has AT&T so he always follows me on trips since his cell coverage is so bad, and I use Verizon and can not ever remember not getting a signal with Verizon.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SLJ

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The big advantage to the Garmin is when I'm towing. I know ahead of time which lane I have to be in. I have them all but the Garmin is more accurate for RVs/towing and not phone dependent. It's also the display for my campers back-up camera.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You and I are in the same boat...I've never seen anything that can touch a SmartPhone (Iphone) and CarPlay with either GoogleMap or Apples GPS....screen size and clarity is far superior than any Garmin model I have. I have the current Garmin Nuvi's and the $800 Garmin Montana 800...left them on the shelf after using CarPlay for 10 minutes.

I have the wifi/bluetooth connector but prefer the cable plugged in (seems faster) and is always charged. I also use GalaGPS software. CarPLAY is compatible with GoogleMaps, Apple GPS and GalaGPS. My needs strongly include off-road (dirt) trails that GALAGPS and lower end Garmins can do.

But the Maverick screen can not be beat with a smartphone connection. No updates with any of them...updates are real-time as you use them, new exit ramps, etc, etc are updates daily...automatically since you use the app realtime. Just did an 8,000 mile route cross country - Atlanta to Pacific Ocean...1,000 on dirt/off-roads never an issue with connection. Plus all the Smart-Phone apps all have far greater motel, restaurant, services directions....or if Looking for a Home Depot...verbally enter Home Depot and it shows all of them near you on a map and highlight the closest one...tap the map and it routes to the one touched.

And when listening to music Carplay coordinates GPS verbal Directions with your music (I listen to music with a FlashDrive). If there is no wifi available, GalaGPS does not have wifi if you have a route installed. I Use the iphone in my hand to dictate destination names, or site to get to. GoogleMaps works on the screen just like it does on the Iphone or an Ipad. Far, far easier to use than any Garmin...I cannot find a single thing any of my Garmins can do that is not easier on GoogleMaps. Plus you can minimize or maximize the Carplay screen to meet your vision needs. And GoogleMaps is FREE. Carplay is also compatible to Google Search maps.

Both GoogleMaps and Apple GPS include traffic updates and traffic delay warnings and redirection if you want. Also have an android phone but it is no where near as effective with CarPlay.

I'm very active on a travel website, mostly about GPS's...and the thousands of members are quickly migrating to Carplay and smart phones...and selling their Garmins. Especially since aftermarket Carplay units are down to $100.
Great write up, I'm impressed with how well it works, much better than my M5.

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Sponsored

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Factory NAV is old school obsolete. The maps are already outdated before you even get them. Plus, isn't the new trend now to charge as a subscription service? Google Maps is free, downloadable and always up to date. Not perfect, but what is?

Apple Maps is now downloadable as well but you must be running iOS 17 and that leaves me out.

CanadaGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Canyon
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Factory NAV is old school obsolete. The maps are already outdated before you even get them. Plus, isn't the new trend now to charge as a subscription service? Google Maps is free, downloadable and always up to date. Not perfect, but what is?

Apple Maps is now downloadable as well but you must be running iOS 17 and that leaves me out.
Probably won’t use it anyways. Waze is great. If you’re in a decent sized city it will give you every up to date detail. If there is an object or roadkill on the road you’ll know in advanced.

surfstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Streaming and GPS is fine from your phone if you live in an urban area that has great cell coverage, and of course unlimited data. But there are many parts of NC with crappy to no coverage.
Try an app called Magic Earth. You can download maps for offline use. We used it for GPS in an overseas rental car and loved it. Just got Android Auto integration recently.
Also contains hiking trails (obscure ones too!) So it's great at various national parks etc.
Google maps is our goto (voice search is great) , but this gives us offline backup.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The big advantage to the Garmin is when I'm towing. I know ahead of time which lane I have to be in. I have them all but the Garmin is more accurate for RVs/towing and not phone dependent. It's also the display for my campers back-up camera.
All the smart phone apps give you a turning lane way, way in advance...and almost always have current road construction changes, exits, lanes, etc. MANY, MANY people that use Smart Phone have bad experiences due to their cell phone provider. I used AT&T for a short time and it was awful. Now use Verizon and very rarely can not get a cell tower signal. Wave is good but I still find GoogleMaps and Apple GPS is just easier. Android is way behind in GPS software technology.

There is a reason Garmin is struggling to survive. Garmin has released a whole series of Smartphone Apps called "SmartLink for Iphones"...due to there loosing such a huge segment of the GPS market to smartphones.

Last edited:

SLJ

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

All the smart phone apps give you a turning lane way, way in advance...and almost always have current road construction changes, exits, lanes, etc. MANY, MANY people that use Smart Phone have bad experiences due to their cell phone provider. I used AT&T for a short time and it was awful. Now use Verizon and very rarely can not get a cell tower signal. Wave is good but I still find GoogleMaps and Apple GPS is just easier. There is a reason Garmin is struggling to survive.
Whatever floats your boat. I have three including Google Maps. The Garmin RV still works the best for us when towing. It has live traffic updates, voice commands, displays the back up camera for the camper, and isn't phone signal dependent. Also leaves the screen free for other apps.
Ford Maverick How to add GPS to my XL GPS Location

Ford Maverick How to add GPS to my XL GPS Location

Last edited:

Maverick Grabber

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chrysler 200, 2022 Maverick XLT Red
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Check out some other threads here involving days of work, $1000, and reprogramming knowledge. Can an expert do it, sure.
Refolding a map seems less painful
Sponsored