Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I haven't taken delivery of my Maverick yet, but it's a Lariat and has the built in GPS. I was just reading thru the owners manual, and it appears the GPS is the kind you have to update the map files occasionally (yearly)to keep them up to date?

If so, my previous expereince with this type of GPS has not been good. If you have to buy the map file, they can be expensive ($125/yr for my motorcycle), and they aren't able to take into account detours, road closures, or the new round-a-bout that went in 6 months ago.

I'm glad I'll be able to use Android Auto and my phones GPS.

How do the Garmin's work? Are they continuously updated with real world changes, or are they a static map file updated only when you download a new file?
My old Garman has to be updared every year or so; but the updates are free. That is a pain; but the GPS is so easy to use compaired with the one in my Mazda. Sorry I do not know how the newer units work.
Sponsored

TheShark

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat Tremor, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

My old Garman has to be updared every year or so; but the updates are free. That is a pain; but the GPS is so easy to use compaired with the one in my Mazda. Sorry I do not know how the newer units work.
The whole Mazda infotainment unit in my 2019 Miata was crap only to be outdone but the absolutely crap nav in my 2015 Subaru Forester, it makes the Sync3 look spaceage.

skinnyboy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Jeff D.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Maverick Lariat & Jeep Renegade
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
osm.jpg
Lousy quality photo, but just installed this AI box to run OSMand, which I prefer for navigating since it doesn't require data. Box has, so far, run all other apps. tried as well. Plug and play.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0BB1T9P94?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Cheers.
Skinnyboy, I've questions on the box you linked to and wireless dongles in general. I think it's the second time I've seen that particular box shared on this site.

I'll start a separate thread on it though, so I don't stink up this one by hijacking it.

SLJ

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I run a Garmin with a seven inch screen as it's also the display for my camper's back-up camera. I just picked up my '23 XLT on Friday and put one of these in yesterday so I don't have to plug the phone in to get Android Auto. Wireless Android Auto Adapter It works.
Ford Maverick How to add GPS to my XL dash USB Adapter

Last edited:

Sponsored

TheShark

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I run a Garmin with a seven inch screen as it's also the display for my camper's back-up camera. I just picked up my '23 XLT on Friday and put one of these in yesterday so I don't have to plug the phone in to get Android Auto. Wireless Android Auto Adapter It works.
dash USB Adapter.jpg
Hi SLJ, I just bought a 7" Garmin GPS as well, wondering what you used for a mount?

SLJ

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Hi SLJ, I just bought a 7" Garmin GPS as well, wondering what you used for a mount?
I used this one that I also used in the Bronco Sport. I stuck in the cubby sideways next to the display and use a small square of rubberized outdoor carpet under it to make it stay in place. https://amzn.to/46fEuMK

TheShark

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I used this one that I also used in the Bronco Sport. I stuck in the cubby sideways next to the display and use a small square of rubberized outdoor carpet under it to make it stay in place. https://amzn.to/46fEuMK
Cool, I'll have to check that out, thanks.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The Maverick GPS is worthless. Mine would be second to Helen Keller..
You would be better of with a paper map and a Ouiji board.
Using Apple Car play is far better and it's free

Sponsored

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Garmin is better and it's cheaper than a cell phone and more dependable.
Would love to know the percentage of people on this forum who do not have a smartphone. The OP is too lazy to plug his in.

TheShark

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Streaming and GPS is fine from your phone if you live in an urban area that has great cell coverage, and of course unlimited data. But there are many parts of NC with crappy to no coverage.