billygoat

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xl
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
New to owning a vehicle with an unlined truck and had a few friends mention that you cannot use the bed without a liner. If I bought the maverick to use, not keep as a museum piece (and not planning on using any different than a sedan truck). How necessary is a bed liner?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

FischAutoTechGarten

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Green Valley Arizona USA, Alamos Sonora MEX
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mav Lariat EB AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

i like spray in liner.
  1. doesn't get slippery when it rains like bare paint
  2. isn't noisy like the drop-ins
  3. won't collect mold like the bed rugs
I've had a liner in every truck I've owned. most were sprayed in. nominally spray-ins are about $495 from a good Line-X installer.

as a poor young man I owned a Datsun 720 King Cab where I did a DIY spray in.... messed that up and black goup marked up anything I put in it the entire life of the truck. so yeah, only went that route once.

AF Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Engine
Undecided
Clubs

How necessary is a bed liner?
Necessary? Not at all.
Kinda like a clear coat on paint .. not necessary, but
If you value your investment, protect it.

If you don't care about scratches, dents, rust, and/or rust, skip it.

Personally...i waited nearly a month now to make use of my bed.
I refused to put anything in the bed without the liner.

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU; 2019 MX-5; 2023 & 2024 Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
New to owning a vehicle with an unlined truck and had a few friends mention that you cannot use the bed without a liner. If I bought the maverick to use, not keep as a museum piece (and not planning on using any different than a sedan truck). How necessary is a bed liner?

Thanks in advance
Your truck...your choice.

I'd like to keep my truck from looking like an old rust bucket with all the bed scratches, so I'll be putting in the Modular 5 piece liner next week. Fordpoints and the Get15 discount made it about $160.

My 20 yr old S-10 with the factory drop in liner just looked dirty and well used when I traded it in...not a museum piece, but not all rusty from scratches.

Sponsored

KdeB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT, 2018 Subaru Forester, 1966 MGB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Yep, it’s definitely an “eye of the beholder” thing.

We took our XLT to get its bed sprayed three days after we brought it home. (Earliest we could get an appointment.) We’re more “car people” then “truck people,” so important to us to keep it nice… plus we like how the spray- in bedliner looks.

We ALSO got a BedRug … Because we want to be able to crawl around in the bed without killing our hands and knees — and might want to sleep out in it sometime camping. (Haven’t put it in yet — waiting for it to warm up around here so Velcro strips go down easily.)

But if you want to wait to do a spray-in liner, and see how it goes without it … you will do no harm if the bed gets a bit scratched up first. Because when a spray-in liner gets applied, first thing they do is sand down the paint so the liner stuff will stick.

Last edited:

Ranch

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Marverick FX4 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you are not doing any crazy loading, throw in a bed mat and call it a day amigo
I agree. I plan on getting a bed mat because it will keep things from sliding around and prevent dents and scratches on the bed floor at a reasonable price.

No constraints or delays at the factory to have spray in bedliner applied.

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The paint in the bed is so thin if you drop a quarter it will scratch it so I suggest something in there.

A bed liner isn't really needed - a bed mat works just fine - I got the one from Rough Country and it's great.

A bed liner is better than a bed mat if you don't have a bed cover as less moisture/dirt will get trapped under it etc. which could potentially lead to rust years down the road.

Ranch

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Marverick FX4 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I'd like to keep my truck from looking like an old rust bucket with all the bed scratches, so I'll be putting in the Modular 5 piece liner next week. Fordpoints and the Get15 discount made it about $160.

My 20 yr old S-10 with the factory drop in liner just looked dirty and well used when I traded it in...not a museum piece, but not all rusty from scratches.
Do you have to drill holes into the bed and tail gate to mount the Modular bed liner?

https://accessories.ford.com/products/maverick-2022-modular-bedliner

Sponsored

Ranch

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Marverick FX4 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The paint in the bed is so thin if you drop a quarter it will scratch it so I suggest something in there.

A bed liner isn't really needed - a bed mat works just fine - I got the one from Rough Country and it's great.

A bed liner is better than a bed mat if you don't have a bed cover as less moisture/dirt will get trapped under it etc. which could potentially lead to rust years down the road.
I live in Sacramento CA and rust on bare metal isn't a big problem for me. If my bed does get really scratched up to the point it bothers me, at any time I could have a spray in bedliner done to make it look like new.

OP
OP

billygoat

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xl
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Can you install this yourself and will it work for an xl without needing anything additional?

Thanks for the idea

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've had 5 trucks without any sort of liner and only had a bed cover on the last 2 so I'm not qualified to answer :ROFLMAO:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150, 2023 Maverick on Order
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For me I just want something to keep me from slipping when standing up in the bed. The bare metal can be slippery, especially when wet or covered with snow. I ordered the Ford rubber mat but looks like it won't make a difference if Ford never gets around to delivering the Maverick. The rubber mat would protect the truck bed too.
Sponsored