texasPI

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
@Ranch I got it today. No drilling at all. The tailgate is simple...you just need to remove the 8 bolts that hold the access plate (for the handle) and than lay the tailgate section on top. Then add 8 spacers in the 8 holes provided already in the plastic tailgate piece. Then put the original screws back in. The spacers keep you from crushing the tailgate plastic. YOU NEED TO SCREW IN ORDER...like a head...needs tightened from center out.

I did that part first. Then you have to unbolt all the tie-downs with Torx fittings and clean up before the rest.

Then you just drill holes in the plastic (marked) to provide for mounting your hardware (tiedowns and Bedrails in my case). Then the hard part to me...cutting marked squares out for the plastic panels at the rear of the bed (storage on one side, and LED and inverter plug on the other side).

Everything then pretty much fits into place and will be completely held in place when you return the bolts for the tiedowns to their original positions. There is a small strip of tape that is at the front of the bed...on a floating channel atop the front piece.

No bolts, no drilling into anything except preparing the plastic.
You’re not supposed to reuse the original tailgate screws because of the washer. The instructions actually tell you to throw them away and use the new screws in package. Also, make sure you only go hand right on them. I think it says to torque to 1.8 ftlbs. I finished installing mine today.
Sponsored

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU; 2019 MX-5; 2023 & 2024 Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You’re not supposed to reuse the original tailgate screws because of the washer. The instructions actually tell you to throw them away and use the new screws in package. Also, make sure you only go hand right on them. I think it says to torque to 1.8 ftlbs. I finished installing mine today.
My instructions look like hieroglyphics. It makes sense to use the washerless screws. But the originals fit ok. I'll redo that part in the AM.

texasPI

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My instructions look like hieroglyphics. It makes sense to use the washerless screws. But the originals fit ok. I'll redo that part in the AM.
Agreed on the instructions! Not reusing the tailgate screws worked out for me because I was missing one 7mm screw and the adhesion promoter from my kit. Luckily, the tailgate screws are the same length and thread pitch as the missing screw. Just needed a slightly bigger washer.

Ford Maverick How necessary is a bed liner? D28CEBDD-D489-4B68-8DDD-A2AE022926DC

shadowthrone

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do you care about your bed getting scratched, dented and rusty? No - don't get a bed liner, you don't need it. Yes - get a bedliner, it will protect from scratches, dents and most importantly rust.

I got a spray in liner, Line-X, which while expensive does seem to offer pretty good protection. I got it because I am in the midwest, and when it get's scratched it will rust, and I'd rather not have that happen.

7Litre

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sonata Hybrid, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nice idea to protect your tailgate. I may do the same thing. I didn't know that Ford sells the tailgate protector separately. I do like the Ford bed mat. Looks good and has cutouts for the front lower D-ring tie downs.

So $75 for the tailgate liner and $150 for the bed mat. Not bad.

1679790447551.png

https://accessories.ford.com/products/maverick-2022-tailgate-liner-kit

1679790490471.png

https://accessories.ford.com/products/maverick-2022-black-bed-mat
That's exactly what I did. When my truck arrived at the dealership I had my salesman order them and get them on before delivery. Checks all the boxes.

Sponsored

Fitzovich

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your truck so do as you choose. I have a Linex Spray in liner and a Ford rubber mat on top of that. The bed is also covered with a trifold soft cover And I have tarps in the bed as well. I see it more as a car trunk that will occasionally do truck stuff so I went the route of protecting everything as best I can.

Cheesehead

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is my first "truck" (I'm 60) and plan on having it for a long time. I have the factory spray in FORD bedliner and like it very much. I guess I plan on treating it more like a car than a real truck!

Also have the FORD soft roll up cover, so things do stay pretty protected back there.

Ford Maverick How necessary is a bed liner? z

Sleeper 7

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Fusion 14 Ram Dump 23 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The metal an the Maverick is so thin I would recommend the liner and undercoating in the snow belt.

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU; 2019 MX-5; 2023 & 2024 Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Agreed on the instructions! Not reusing the tailgate screws worked out for me because I was missing one 7mm screw and the adhesion promoter from my kit. Luckily, the tailgate screws are the same length and thread pitch as the missing screw. Just needed a slightly bigger washer.

D28CEBDD-D489-4B68-8DDD-A2AE022926DC.jpeg
That's something I didn't get either...nor did I see it in the parts list: "Adhesion Promoter"????

Sponsored

JP4AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Hybrid MAV, 04 Dakota 4x4, 02 Lexus, 03 V-Rod +
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Not Joe Schmo, but I have the Tractor Supply mat. The piece on the tailgate is not attached, I just throw it in the back if I intend to haul anything with the tailgate opened. The mat is very thick and soft and I need that for my 68 year old knees.
It is heavy enough that I didn't feel the need to secure it down, especially since I have a tonneau cover. I used a jigsaw to cut it and even that took me the better part of a day. Also, it is a two-man job getting it into the bed(it is very heavy).
Maverick bedmat.JPG
Thank You Gary! Looks great and my knees are going on 60....lol

Fattdogs

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's all personal preference, the bed liner just is a protectant layer for your bed to mitigate dents and scratches.

My uncle runs his own construction/contracting company, doesn't bother with bed liners, so his $80,000 Chevy beds look scratched and dented to hell, but hey it's for work so who cares. I got a spray in bedliner for my maverick because it's relatively cheap and I think it makes the bed more useful and looks better.

Poultrygeist

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord, Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered a rubber bed mat for my Maverick. Only $140 from Ford and it will protect the bottom of the bed.
I'm thinking of getting the rubber bed mat from Ford with my points. How's the thickness and does it have cut outs for the floor tie downs? At speed is it heavy enough to stay in place? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Poultrygeist

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord, Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you use a one piece bed mat/rug that covers the bed and tail gate you can't use a bike pad. With the clipped coupon on Amazon mine came to $54. That's a deal compared to what others cost.

Ford Maverick How necessary is a bed liner? 61EJ0UjPx1S._AC_SL1500_

Last Truck Ever

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Bed liner question answers itself the first time you toss 2x4's or yard tools or whatever in there. Even a bed rug won't protect the back part by the cab when the first sheet of plywood hits it, or the first toolbox you failed to properly secure slams into it.
Sponsored