First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I keep them until they drop. Which is why I'm getting a Maverick in the first place. The 1991 Silverado 1500 that I'm using as my work truck is starting to have issues. The power steering pump goes out intermittently. The liftgate needs to be opened with pliers. The air conditioning doesn't work at all. This can all be fixed but the truck is worth maybe $500 so why would I want to do that?

I looked at replacing it with a used truck, but a 2010 Ranger with 25K miles on it will cost me $18K. For $4K more, I get a new truck. I'll take that deal and I'll wait.
Sponsored

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Usually keep them 6 years. This will be my first new vehicle. Probably will do the same with the Maverick and by then maybe they will have a full AWD EV Maverick.

Ander

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XL 65 F100
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Keep them tell they die. drive a 91 Nissan Maxima (100,00 original miles ). The Maverick will be my first new car .

Didj

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I keep my vehicles as long as I can. My 2017 Civic is a wonderful car but I HATE how low it is. When I saw the Maverick in person I was excited about its height and the ease of getting in and out of it. I went with hybrid and I am patient enough to wait until more hybrids are being built. However, recently I have been thinking more about the longevity in owning the hybrid and and the added benefit of towing and AWD with the 2.0. Should I change my order…this is tough!

Don Morris

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Retiring in November, I want to put on only a few thousand a year too.
Retired at the end of 2015. I put less than 8000 per year on since. Currently have about 62k on a 2012 Fusion Hybrid.

Sponsored

AzCactusGray

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C5, SC430, 67XKE, 08 XJR, 78 F250, 22 Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I buy the kind of vehicle I like, meaning I never buy run of the mill vehicles. I buy vehicles that I will drive for a long time because I like the vehicles. 2000 C5, Corvette, a daily driver. 2003 Lexus SC 430, I love the lines, quality of the build and that it's a hardtop convertible. 2016 Jaguar XJR.... Love the lines, love the power, love the interior.... And yes how it drives, how it handles how it rides.... and it will run away and hide from the Corvette. 1978 F250 4X4 LB, a truck truck. 1998 Ranger.... One hell of a good truck. It will have a new home soon and the Maverick will take its place. 1967 Jaguar E-Type FHC, well, I didn't buy that one new........ it DOES get driven often.
2018 Lexus RX350, which replaced a 2006 RX350 with 300k miles...... The Lexus RX series are fantastic vehicles. I do not believe in garage Queen, trailer Queen vehicles. Every vehicle I own I would not think twice about jumping in and driving across country in a moment's notice... And yes that includes the XKE.

optikinescant

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat AWD FX4, Kia Niro EV
Up until this past year I was a drive it as long as you can kind of owner, but with my work routine shifting to full time work-from-home, and the used-car market going crazy, the decision was made to downsize to a single car family, sell our cars for a very decent profit and move into a very affordable lease until the Maverick arrives. So, yeah, that's the current status. Sold our small SUV for more than we paid for it a year ago and just waiting to move into something better.

Catmandu

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So far its been keep them until they don't fit my purpose, or major repairs become more frequent and expensive. Current ride is 19yo, and Maverick is replacing it, I could continue to put $$ into it, it runs good, very little rust, but it just feels like the right time to change.

Hack

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 & 2018 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A long time usually. When I traded my Toyota Tundra for our 2018 Honda CRV it was 18 years old. I'll get rid of our 2005 CRV when/before I get the Maverick. I'm 80. The Maverick will likely be my last vehicle. 'Actually looking forward to calling up a self-driving Uber.

olie64

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Order maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a 10 mile round trip to work. and everyplace i need to stop is on the way home. I plan on having this truck for as long as it runs. the fact I have to drive to work 184 days a year(teacher) I will only have put around 2000 a year on it back and forth to work. so I guessing I will avg 5000 miles a year driving so I hoping it runs for a very long time.

Sponsored

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
The main reason to purchase a new vehicle is for the aesthetic appeal of a new vehicle that doesn't yet have scratches, dings, and the like, as a status symbol since a new car makes you look more successful than a two decade old one, and for new technology that provides better performance, creature comforts, and/or fuel economy and lower emissions.
I'd add safety to that list. Sure, someone out there probably has a 1996 Toyota Camry in fantastic shape that runs like a top. If it gets into a head-on collision with a 2021 Toyota Camry, the ol' '96 will probably be crushed like a soda can while the '21 will sacrifice itself to keep the survival cell (passenger compartment) intact.

I'm the person you should buy your used car from. I buy new with a generous level of technology, then in 6 to 8 years (100k to 120k), I sell it and buy something else new, with cool technology that has a great big owner's manual.
Or me. I buy new or used. My preferred used cards to buy are either lease returns in good condition or buyer's remorse cars with low mileage. Then I keep them in exceedingly good condition. Helps that I used to detail cars for a living.

I lost a truck on my home from the dealership after picking it up. A lady rear-ended me at 65 MPH she wasn't paying attention on the freeway. I ordered that Truck and it took 8 weeks to get it. The truck was towed (flat bed) back to the dealer 3 hours later... Needless to say, I was the talk of the dealership for a while.
Beat my record. I owned a 2015 Honda Odyssey. I bought it preowned and sold it a few months later for $3000 more than I paid for it.

I don't have much of a buying pattern. I used to long-haul commute (100-120 miles a day) and racked on over 200,000 miles on my first commuter. Sold it for a new commuter, racked on 75k on that, then moved across the street from work.

Now I walk or bicycle to work and drive maybe 8,000 miles a year. I've had several (more than ten) vehicles. Some I kept for years and rarely drove, some I kept for a couple years and drove a lot.

I liked having variety. I used to always have at least two vehicles; a truck or off roader and a car/daily. Then I had a change of heart a few years ago and decided that I would rather have one nicer/newer/do-everything vehicle than several vehicles in various stages of repair or reliability.

Bought my current 2016 Nissan Frontier with 17k miles on it (buyer's remorse vehicle), sold everything else, and was happy as a clam until I found out about the Maverick.

I have some nitpicks with the Frontier that a Maverick XLT Lux package would solve, but I'm not in a hurry. I'm waiting in the background for a year or two until the dust settles and more long-term info is known.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd add safety to that list. Sure, someone out there probably has a 1996 Toyota Camry in fantastic shape that runs like a top. If it gets into a head-on collision with a 2021 Toyota Camry, the ol' '96 will probably be crushed like a soda can while the '21 will sacrifice itself to keep the survival cell (passenger compartment) intact.
Oh yeah, for sure, I figured that fell under technology. The one obvious thing I left out though is my own damn reason for trading in a vehicle, lol! Changing needs!

Our Ram 1500 works perfectly fine and is well maintained considering its age, but we'd like a vehicle that more easily fits in a garage, that is mobility impaired friendly for ingress/egress, and that gets better fuel economy. Being 12 years old and high mileage is just one of the incentives. But that's true even if a car is only six months old; say if you recently bought a Honda Odyssey to transport your large family around and then a building collapses on them and you're the only surviving one left, then maybe a Miata makes more sense.

66six

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius / 22 Ford Mavrick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am curious how long everyone here usually hangs on to their vehicles. There are generally two schools of thought: Keep a vehicle until it rusts back into the earth, or sell it when it is relatively young and still worth something.

My Dad's 2001 Tundra has something like 330,000 miles on it. It still runs great, but I feel like the past five or so years he frequently has it in the shop for something. Some of it is routine (that truck has a timing belt) but some is not. He had it painted a few years ago since the paint started to fade on the hood.

I used to be on the side of "keep it forever" like he has, but now I'm leaning towards selling it around the 8 - 10 year mark. At that point the vehicle is long paid off, and you could be saving money towards a new vehicle. And hopefully the car hasn't needed any major repairs at that point.

I tried to find some studies or articles that found the average "tipping point" of a vehicle, when the cost to repair begins to outweigh the value, but I didn't find much. I'm guessing it is a tricky thing to figure out since it can wildly vary from car to car. If anyone has any info on this it would be appreciated.

So, what do you do, keep it forever, or sell it young?
I give your dad a lot of credit he got his money’s worth good for him.

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
The one obvious thing I left out though is my own damn reason for trading in a vehicle, lol! Changing needs!
Absolutely! I forgot about that too. I sold my F-250 (crew cab, long bed, 4x4, 6.8L V10) because I no longer had work for it to do after I sold my enclosed trailer. It was a nice truck to look at, but big trucks have high operating and repair costs.

If you have the resources to daily a big truck then more power to you, but I couldn't justify keeping it when I was basically hauling sailboat fuel compared to what the truck was capable of.

My little truck is perfect for getting the groceries, buying materials, and taking my tools and hobby equipment places.

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2020 Sonata
Engine
Undecided
I am curious how long everyone here usually hangs on to their vehicles. There are generally two schools of thought: Keep a vehicle until it rusts back into the earth, or sell it when it is relatively young and still worth something.

My Dad's 2001 Tundra has something like 330,000 miles on it. It still runs great, but I feel like the past five or so years he frequently has it in the shop for something. Some of it is routine (that truck has a timing belt) but some is not. He had it painted a few years ago since the paint started to fade on the hood.

I used to be on the side of "keep it forever" like he has, but now I'm leaning towards selling it around the 8 - 10 year mark. At that point the vehicle is long paid off, and you could be saving money towards a new vehicle. And hopefully the car hasn't needed any major repairs at that point.

I tried to find some studies or articles that found the average "tipping point" of a vehicle, when the cost to repair begins to outweigh the value, but I didn't find much. I'm guessing it is a tricky thing to figure out since it can wildly vary from car to car. If anyone has any info on this it would be appreciated.

So, what do you do, keep it forever, or sell it young?
I'm now 70 (married 45 years), and between my wife and I, we've had about 20 vehicles. My minimum time to keep has been 5 years. But I kept my 1978 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe for 18 years.

After driving trucks and SUV's for many years, my wife decided she wanted a sedan, so she now has a 2020 Sonata. I don't think we'll get to 5 years on that one because she say's it's too small.
🤦‍♂️:rolleyes:
Sponsored