Sponsored

How long before full trust in a road trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aza

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I think there's no way to know if you're going to have the issue. Out of the maybe 20,000+ hybrid mavs out there, and the small portion of those that are on this forum, we've had like 20-40 reports maybe of the wire harness issue (me included). But I have to guess that's gotta be less than 5% of total hybrid users here.

If youā€™re really worried, you can get a good battery jump pack for like $60-$80 and that will bypass the issue to start the Maverick from the engine jump points and keep you going on your way. You barely need any juice from it to start the truck (it doesn't actually turn the engine over or anything, it just enables the HVB to engage and that powers the system from there), and you would just recharge the jump pack if you needed to. Also this doubles as a USB battery bank so that's nice.

Someone may correct me if I'm wrong about the portable jump pack. I'm assuming that works in this way but maybe it has circuitly that is more complicated than I understand. But my anecdote is that a regular jump from another vehicle worked fine to bring mine back to life when my harness failed, until you turn it off and it's deceased again.
The jump pack I bought has USB-A and USB-C ports, so it also works as a 20,000mAh power bank. I hope I never need it but I have it. You never know, there may be a time that another vehicle canā€™t get close enough to your truck to allow for a traditional jump.
Sponsored

Bobinmi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mr me.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
walking and talking
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
hybrid, 15k absolutely trouble free miles...no long trips, but I would have taken it on a long trip immediately if the need arose.

altomav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, '71 GMC
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've got over 13K miles on my Ecoboost. Most of those miles were on two separate trips from Northern Alabama to North Dakota and back and again from Alabama to Ontario, Canada and back. Both trips went smoothly with no problems. So far I am very happy with my Maverick.

dano0726

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Aza -- you have an AMZN link to the battery pack you're using?

Aza

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Aza -- you have an AMZN link to the battery pack you're using?
I did get it from AMZN but it looks to be sold out, but Walmart apparently sells it too. . Hulkman is the brand. I liked having the digital readout. I charged it 4 months ago and it is still 100%.

HULKMAN Alpha 85 Jump Starter 2000 Amp Portable Car Starter with LED Display for up to 8.5L Gas and 6L Diesel Engines
https://www.walmart.com/ip/335821749

Sponsored

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜02 Ranger, ā€˜22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Itā€™s not all that comforting to read a handful of trouble-free anecdotes on here. There was a poll here, with around 15% reporting electrical problems (hybrid). Thatā€™s too significant for me to ignore. So for now mine limited to in town driving. Weā€™ll take the RAV4 on trips. Itā€™s a shame, because I want to rely on it, but the odds arenā€™t great.

Zomdos

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I bought it where my parents are from in Baltimore, drove it home two days later to Chicago which was 700 miles.

Two weeks later I drove it from the midwest into the mountains and trails of West Virginia, 1,250 miles.

In the following five weeks I drove it from Chicago to Philly and back three times, 1,450 miles each trip.

9,000 miles on it my first two months. Zero issues, extremely comfortable and almost no fatigue with the ACC/Lane Keep, handled mountains of WV without roads just fine, and enjoyed a solid 27-28 MPG while doing 80+ MPH the whole time.

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
9,000 miles on it my first two months. Zero issues, extremely comfortable and almost no fatigue with the ACC/Lane Keep, handled mountains of WV without roads just fine, and enjoyed a solid 27-28 MPG while doing 80+ MPH the whole time.
The plural of anecdote is not data.

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unless Ford can isolate a specific batch of faulty wiring harnesses, I want mine replaced with a known good part, or tested to a standard of proof. Until then, I consider it unreliable.

saffrontruck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So, Iā€™ve got about 6500 miles in on my Maverick and Iā€™m fixing to do a 1500 mile round trip road trip. So far Iā€™ve not had the dreaded Hybrid Dead on Road issue, and was wondering about my comfort level that everything will be ok. Last thing I want is to be going through the WV mountains and have everything quit on me.

I havenā€™t tracked it, but it seems like those who have had the issue had them early on. The NHTSA web site lists 20+ some complaints on the issue.

Whatā€™s everyoneā€™s comfort level that once you clear a certain point you wonā€™t see the issue?
I took my hybrid on 2800+ mile roadtrip in the spring when the truck was only 1500 miles old. I didn't run into any problems on the whole trip, except disappointing mileage trying to do 80 mph into a heavy headwind across parts of Nevada.

Enjoy your trip! But keep your cellphone charged?

Sponsored

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As noted by others, all anecdotal and all totally meaningless. The polls on this site are also useless, because it's statistically insignificant and a self-selecting sample body. Again, people on this site keep pulling invented numbers out of their hind end to fit their favorite narrative. Did everyone in the USA sleep through all their math and science classes in high school?

I get that we all want to feel good about our Mavericks. Me too. I have an EcoBoost coming and I want to believe that it's gonna be the perfect, problem free vehicle. But I don't know that. I'm just gonna have to drive the thing and see what happens.

That's kind of the only honest answer folks. You gotta drive it and see what happens. If that doesn't work for you, maybe you should buy a Toyota. Read the news. Ford's warranty costs are killing profits and Ford is on a crusade to fix it. Maybe they shouldn't have cut that year of testing and validation from the Maverick program - do ya think?

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The plural of anecdote is not data.
I bet the p-value on that anonymous message board (self-selecting) poll data is fantastic though šŸ¤£ Nobody has real data on this topic yet. I don't buy a vehicle not to use it. I have no concerns taking my Maverick on a long road trip (and I have without issue); if something were to occur, we'll take care of it then.

Bobinmi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mr me.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
walking and talking
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Itā€™s not all that comforting to read a handful of trouble-free anecdotes on here. There was a poll here, with around 15% reporting electrical problems (hybrid). Thatā€™s too significant for me to ignore. So for now mine limited to in town driving. Weā€™ll take the RAV4 on trips. Itā€™s a shame, because I want to rely on it, but the odds arenā€™t great.
yes, but that data is clearly skewed...as the "complainers" probably respond to the poll in at least a 10 or 20 to 1 case...complaints/issues are ALWAYS vocal on the forums. Most who are happy, just go on their merry way.

Lone Star Proud

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, Iā€™ve got about 6500 miles in on my Maverick and Iā€™m fixing to do a 1500 mile round trip road trip. So far Iā€™ve not had the dreaded Hybrid Dead on Road issue, and was wondering about my comfort level that everything will be ok. Last thing I want is to be going through the WV mountains and have everything quit on me.

I havenā€™t tracked it, but it seems like those who have had the issue had them early on. The NHTSA web site lists 20+ some complaints on the issue.

Whatā€™s everyoneā€™s comfort level that once you clear a certain point you wonā€™t see the issue?
I do not even ever think of those things. 4,900 flawless miles

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just got back from a 12-day 3200 mile trip through New Mexico and Colorado. Other than the barreling down interstates at 80+mph with three bikes strapped to it and loaded down with 1000+lbs of people and gear killing my overall MPG averages, I didn't worry about anything. Overall, the experience was great.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.