2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Vehicle: 2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid, all stock, nothing add, nothing taken away.

Distance: 2800 miles and change.

Route: Eastbound: Eugene, Lakeview, Adel, Sheldon Wildlife Refuge, Winnemucca, Elko, east side of the Ruby Mountains, Ely, Delta, Fremont Indian Petroglyph Park, Panguitch, Bryce Canyon, Escalante.

Westbound: Escalante, Panguitch, Beaver, Fillmore, Delta, Ely, Austin, Fallon, Sparks, Susanville, Klamuth Falls, Chemult, Eugene.

Travel Summary: A comfortable ride with impeccable handling. This was mostly twisty roads through the outback of Oregon, Nevada, and Utah, and the truck handled asphalt, snow, dirt, and some mud with ease.

Mileage Summary: I never let the tank get below 1/2, so I stopped fairly frequently. Most of the stops showed the expected highway MPG, since I was traveling 75-80 mph. Calculated trip MPG overall of 35.7. The worst is when I was battling a very strong headwind on US-50 from Delta, UT to Ely, NV at 26.7 MPG.

The truck is showing lifetime 39.1 MPG.

The Good: The comfortable ride, and the competent handling. On the straightaways, just point the truck and turn on the cruise control. On the twisty roads, enjoy the low center of gravity and the grip of the Continental tires.

On dirt, the continuous torque of the electric motors was quite welcome, and allowed travel on trails that I would not consider with a standard front-wheel drive vehicle. Push the 'L' button, engage Slippery mode, and crawl your way to your destination. Washboard roads were loud and obnoxious, though.

Apple Car Play played my tunes, and allowed Google Maps when I had signal (surprisingly good coverage). Stock speakers were enough for what my hearing is capable of.

MPG at slow speeds, and on the dirt was consistently in the high 30's to mid 40's.

The Bad: Let's face it: Ford does not have a magical formula for defeating physics. The Maverick is not all that slippery, and pushing air at high speeds will drop your range. If you are doing 75+ MPH on the regular, get the EcoBoost since you won't realize the benefits of the Hybrid system. I did this trip in a hurry, and that's what I got. But, for the journey as a whole, the truck did better than EPA estimate for the highway, but less than the combined EPA estimate.

Pictures:
Outside Adel, Oregon:
Ford Maverick Eugene to Escalante and Back: Back Roads and Dirt Roads, A Hybrid Truck Trip IMGP8748

Great Basin National Park:
Ford Maverick Eugene to Escalante and Back: Back Roads and Dirt Roads, A Hybrid Truck Trip IMG_1052.JPG

Bryce Canyon:
Ford Maverick Eugene to Escalante and Back: Back Roads and Dirt Roads, A Hybrid Truck Trip IMG_1094.JPG

Grand Staircase Escalante Monument after getting out in the mud and the rain on the Hole in the Rock and Egypt Canyon roads:
Ford Maverick Eugene to Escalante and Back: Back Roads and Dirt Roads, A Hybrid Truck Trip IMG_1108.JPG

Egypt Canyon Overlook next to my sister's Jeep Renegade:
Ford Maverick Eugene to Escalante and Back: Back Roads and Dirt Roads, A Hybrid Truck Trip IMG_1139.JPG

Thank you for checking out my story!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great feedback! Sounds like a fun trip. I lived in Northern Nevada for 16 years. Spent a lot of time in the areas you traveled through. Many happy camping trips out to Sheldon NWR and Great Basin National Park.

Thanks for posting, and love seeing your Cyber Orange XLT Hybrid photos!

Adospeed

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid in Shadow Black
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
@saffrontruck This is awesome! I'm going to be doing similar road travels here in Colorado in my XLT Shadow Black Hybrid. I already swapped out to All Terrain tires in anticipation. It's cool to see another hybrid owner take it off the pavement. Thx for sharing the pics, I'll make sure to post mine in upcoming trips.

OP
OP
saffrontruck

saffrontruck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

@saffrontruck This is awesome! I'm going to be doing similar road travels here in Colorado in my XLT Shadow Black Hybrid. I already swapped out to All Terrain tires in anticipation. It's cool to see another hybrid owner take it off the pavement. Thx for sharing the pics, I'll make sure to post mine in upcoming trips.
What tires did you settle on? And are you doing any rack/bed mods? Thanks!

Adospeed

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid in Shadow Black
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What tires did you settle on? And are you doing any rack/bed mods? Thanks!
@saffrontruck My AT Tires: https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...o-245-65-17-all-terrain-tires-110-each.11552/ These turned out to work well in the snow too, and it was reassuring.

No racks or mods at the moment as I have two young boys, so going to do the ground tent for a while. I think I could do a soft topper (if they ever return my inquiry) for the Mav, so I have some shelter and less unpacking for camping on my own if I'm boondocking somewhere.

Sponsored

Laricat

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Honda Fit
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
@saffrontruck - looks like a blast of a trip! And loads of fun in your Mav too.

I'm going to be in Escalante in mid-July (hoping to have my truck by then) - anything you particularly enjoyed? Hole on the Rock road is definitely on my list. How did the Mav handle it?

OP
OP
saffrontruck

saffrontruck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

@saffrontruck - looks like a blast of a trip! And loads of fun in your Mav too.

I'm going to be in Escalante in mid-July (hoping to have my truck by then) - anything you particularly enjoyed? Hole on the Rock road is definitely on my list. How did the Mav handle it?
You will have no problem on Hole in the Rock road. There were road crews working on it, and some minivans creeping over the washboards. The Egypt Canyon road, though, took some careful crawling over larger rocks that had been exposed over the winter. Make sure to take a friend (and water, and gas, and a full-service spare tire) if you are going on some of the lesser-travelled roads.

Lower Calf Creek Falls was a beautiful hike! It's seven miles round-trip, but so worth it. Pictographs, ancient Fremont architecture, follows a stream with fish, and a waterfall into a blue-green pool. A magical place.

Enjoy your trip!

Laricat

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Honda Fit
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You will have no problem on Hole in the Rock road. There were road crews working on it, and some minivans creeping over the washboards. The Egypt Canyon road, though, took some careful crawling over larger rocks that had been exposed over the winter. Make sure to take a friend (and water, and gas, and a full-service spare tire) if you are going on some of the lesser-travelled roads.

Lower Calf Creek Falls was a beautiful hike! It's seven miles round-trip, but so worth it. Pictographs, ancient Fremont architecture, follows a stream with fish, and a waterfall into a blue-green pool. A magical place.

Enjoy your trip!
Great information - thank you!

I haven't heard of Egypt Canyon road so I'll definitely look into that one.

Pacman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great photos & good write up. I’m giving up 4x4 to go with the hybrid, so it’s good to hear it’s reasonably capable on dirt roads. You & your sister have matching vehicles!

Sponsored
OP
OP
saffrontruck

saffrontruck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Great photos & good write up. I’m giving up 4x4 to go with the hybrid, so it’s good to hear it’s reasonably capable on dirt roads. You & your sister have matching vehicles!
I think it's the red rock that's causing that illusion? Her Jeep is definitely yellow!

I'm looking forward to @Adospeed report on how their all-terrain tires affect ride and mileage. That alone would make the hybrid more capable off the asphalt.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sounds like a fun trip. You'll remember that way past the FE, which was certainly pretty good also, all things considered. Thanks for sharing the pix, too!

nlt

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
toyota prius
@saffrontruck My AT Tires: https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...o-245-65-17-all-terrain-tires-110-each.11552/ These turned out to work well in the snow too, and it was reassuring.

No racks or mods at the moment as I have two young boys, so going to do the ground tent for a while. I think I could do a soft topper (if they ever return my inquiry) for the Mav, so I have some shelter and less unpacking for camping on my own if I'm boondocking somewhere.
Try messaging Softopper on Facebook - I asked them about a topper for the Maverick and they got back to me right away, said they are working on it and got my email address to add to a contact list.

Adospeed

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid in Shadow Black
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Try messaging Softopper on Facebook - I asked them about a topper for the Maverick and they got back to me right away, said they are working on it and got my email address to add to a contact list.
Oh...wow, good to know. Only I dont have Facebook, and dont plan on it again. I sent them emails and voicemails.....nada. I was offering to let them use my truck since I'm in Colorado. Havent heard from them yet.
Sponsored