Sponsored

How far have you pushed your Hybrid system with amplifiers?

Parrotheadad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat First Edition,2017 Mustang GT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So I must say I neglected to consider the limitations of a hybrid system in supporting additional amplifiers. Has anybody gone past the Crutchfield recommended max of 30 amps current draw? Most decent subwoofer amplifiers go past that by themselves. I wanted to add 2 class D amplifiers one for a sub and one for the mains. The Kicker Key 200.4 draw is only 20 amps. However it’s the sub amps that draw the most current. I did read one thread where someone suggested to go to a higher 500 CCA battery along with a forscan adjustment to increase charging capacity. Apparently the stock battery is only 300 CCA? This user did this to remedy some other battery issues others have experienced. What amps have you successfully added without any electrical issues?
Sponsored

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

You might check the Ford Maverick Customs group on FB. There are several folks with high $ show trucks and I think at least 2 of them are hybrid. So my initial take is that the Crutchfield article you're talking about is pretty old, but if there are issues or concerns those people have probably dealt with it.

One initial question I'd have is whether it's OK to tie a huge fuse directly into the 12V battery under the seat. Normally you would have that in the engine bay, but that's for 2 reasons one being safety beyond the firewall and the second being that the 12V battery is there.

...And your 12V battery isn't there. I don't know, but maybe you'll get more eyes on this thread.

OP
OP
Parrotheadad

Parrotheadad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat First Edition,2017 Mustang GT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sounds good Thx!

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Are you going to run the sound with the key to run? Or not in Run?

I think you have a big difference between the two.

With key to run, the High Voltage Battery is going to power everything, and the engine will spin to recharge the HV battery every 10 or 15 minutes. The 12 volt battery won't be doing much.

Key to off or out, a whole different ball game.

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Hybrid, Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid