Sponsored

How bad are these electronics issues?

3JB

2.5L Hybrid
Active member
First Name
Joe
Joined
Sep 2, 2026
Threads
3
Messages
31
Reaction score
32
Location
Florida
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A couple of days ago, I was running errands, everything great, as usual. Then, I got into the 2026 Maverick XLT, and I had no electronics. The big screen was black. Console screens were OK. Turned it off and back on a couple of times - no change. So I decided to drive on to next stop. Put it in reverse, had backup camera - but none of the usual guidance - just a camera of what was behind me. Parked at next stop, went in, came out, cranked the truck - everything working fine!

Since then, I had one event where, on startup, things hesitated while the screen said couldn't find the key. Then that went away immediately and everything was OK.

Before that, I had an event where I went to get in the truck and it wouldn't recognize my touch and open up. Tried several times. Then just stood there for a few minutes pondering this. Tried again and it opened up.

On another occasion, got in truck, cranked up, went to put it in reverse, and the gear selector would not turn. Tried rotating the steering wheel a bit, and then it let me put it in gear.

I also discovered by accident that if you open the door to lock the truck, and don't let go of the doorhandle while pushing the lock button, the next time you try to get in it won't let you. I went around to the passenger door to get the truck to unlock.

So... Is this normal stuff? Or do I have serious problems developing in my 2 month old truck?
Sponsored

 

Ranko Kohime

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
Ranko
Joined
Jul 21, 2025
Threads
10
Messages
281
Reaction score
445
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
2025 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unfortunately they simply don't put the quality control into the software that they should, nor do they release source code so we can fix bugs after the fact.

RELEASE THE SOURCE CODE, FORD! #Stallman

The hardware is probably fine. You can reboot the center display and it's associated modules by holding the power button (in the volume knob, not vehicle power button), and the forward skip button either under the vents or on the steering wheel. Doesn't always help, but clears some weirdness.
 
OP
OP

3JB

2.5L Hybrid
Active member
First Name
Joe
Joined
Sep 2, 2026
Threads
3
Messages
31
Reaction score
32
Location
Florida
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unfortunately they simply don't put the quality control into the software that they should, nor do they release source code so we can fix bugs after the fact.

RELEASE THE SOURCE CODE, FORD! #Stallman

The hardware is probably fine. You can reboot the center display and it's associated modules by holding the power button (in the volume knob, not vehicle power button), and the forward skip button either under the vents or on the steering wheel. Doesn't always help, but clears some weirdness.
Yeah - the electronics in ALL of the new cars scares heck out of me. But what are you gonna do? They all have it now - can't be avoided.

The biggest problem IMHO is that (in this case) Ford is the supplier of the electronics and the software. But they are car makers, not IT people, and have not a clue as to what they have created and how to maintain/fix it. Source code? Doubt they even know what that is.

I was shocked to find that there is no manual for a new Maverick except for the electronic thing that doesn't really tell you how to do anything, but does an excellent job at telling you what NOT to do and repeatedly tells you you are responsible if you do it wrong. My guess is that the integration of electronics with vehicle has finally resulted in a vehicle that they CAN'T issue a manual for because they don't really know themselves, and it would cost a ton to hire the right folks to create a real manual.

Will try to remember that reboot sequence for the screen - thanks for that! In the meantime, I will just keep going as if everything is OK - until it won't go anymore, and then decide what to do.
 

Sponsored

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
First Name
Craig
Joined
Dec 5, 2021
Threads
39
Messages
3,994
Reaction score
6,538
Location
Alabama
Vehicle(s)
11 F150 Lariat, 24 Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah - the electronics in ALL of the new cars scares heck out of me. But what are you gonna do? They all have it now - can't be avoided.

The biggest problem IMHO is that (in this case) Ford is the supplier of the electronics and the software. But they are car makers, not IT people, and have not a clue as to what they have created and how to maintain/fix it. Source code? Doubt they even know what that is.

I was shocked to find that there is no manual for a new Maverick except for the electronic thing that doesn't really tell you how to do anything, but does an excellent job at telling you what NOT to do and repeatedly tells you you are responsible if you do it wrong. My guess is that the integration of electronics with vehicle has finally resulted in a vehicle that they CAN'T issue a manual for because they don't really know themselves, and it would cost a ton to hire the right folks to create a real manual.

Will try to remember that reboot sequence for the screen - thanks for that! In the meantime, I will just keep going as if everything is OK - until it won't go anymore, and then decide what to do.
I get what your saying and understand the frustrations. I can say I'm one of the fortunate ones that hasn't had any real issues with my truck, its a MY22 EB. I do have the recall on the trailer towing light issue but I haven't had any issues when towing or not towing so I haven't bothered taking it to the dealer. So far thats it, zero issues other wise. I'm an old fart so back in the 60's when i started driving the big 3 did make their own audio hardware (and most of all the other stuff) in house or by their divisions dedicated to the radio, i.e. Philco-Ford, Delco (GM), Mopar was Motorola & Philco I think. Nowdays (from my understanding) all of the Big 3 outsource the hardware to outside suppliers and the Big 3 writes the software. And in my opinion they, especially Ford SUCKS on their software engineering/code writing.
As for the manual, yep it's about unheard of now days to have a full printed owners manual in the glove box. However, you can download it to your pc, etc in a pdf format, which i use fairly often, all though, I did purchase the full manual in printed form online - there's several sources if you want the full printed manual.
Hang in there, it'll be alright. There's a lot of good stuff about the little truck. I know, easy to say until you have a problem. Anyways, Good Luck
 

El Kabong

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
Joined
Apr 1, 2026
Threads
15
Messages
455
Reaction score
926
Location
Carnation, WA
Vehicle(s)
2026 Maverick Lariat Hybrid AWD, 2017 VW Golf Wolfsburg
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
RELEASE THE SOURCE CODE, FORD! #Stallman
Well, it would be (according to the Google) C, C++, or Python on a QNX OS for the Sync 4, not sure if prior Sync versions are QNX or Microsoft or what.

I for one would love to have a look.
 
OP
OP

3JB

2.5L Hybrid
Active member
First Name
Joe
Joined
Sep 2, 2026
Threads
3
Messages
31
Reaction score
32
Location
Florida
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I get what your saying and understand the frustrations. I can say I'm one of the fortunate ones that hasn't had any real issues with my truck, its a MY22 EB. I do have the recall on the trailer towing light issue but I haven't had any issues when towing or not towing so I haven't bothered taking it to the dealer. So far thats it, zero issues other wise. I'm an old fart so back in the 60's when i started driving the big 3 did make their own audio hardware (and most of all the other stuff) in house or by their divisions dedicated to the radio, i.e. Philco-Ford, Delco (GM), Mopar was Motorola & Philco I think. Nowdays (from my understanding) all of the Big 3 outsource the hardware to outside suppliers and the Big 3 writes the software. And in my opinion they, especially Ford SUCKS on their software engineering/code writing.
As for the manual, yep it's about unheard of now days to have a full printed owners manual in the glove box. However, you can download it to your pc, etc in a pdf format, which i use fairly often, all though, I did purchase the full manual in printed form online - there's several sources if you want the full printed manual.
Hang in there, it'll be alright. There's a lot of good stuff about the little truck. I know, easy to say until you have a problem. Anyways, Good Luck
Mostly what I am seeing right now are glitches - overall, still enjoying the truck. But glitches can add up and become more than a glitch, so I thought it was a good time to throw these experiences out for comment - and I appreciate the responses!

What I have seen in the way of an online manual is essentially the same thing that is built into the truck software. I don't really need a printed copy of that - it's useless. And I rather suspect that there is no REAL manual out there. But thanks!
 

HeyBales

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
Mike
Joined
May 3, 2024
Threads
5
Messages
5,648
Reaction score
5,501
Location
KC Metro area
Vehicle(s)
2005 Toyota RAV4, 2024 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Mostly what I am seeing right now are glitches - overall, still enjoying the truck. But glitches can add up and become more than a glitch, so I thought it was a good time to throw these experiences out for comment - and I appreciate the responses!

What I have seen in the way of an online manual is essentially the same thing that is built into the truck software. I don't really need a printed copy of that - it's useless. And I rather suspect that there is no REAL manual out there. But thanks!
That is the manual.

Get past all the warnings for stupid things - which is there because there are idiots driving vehicles that did exactly those things - and you'll find all the normal manual things.

Same as the printed version.
Except they can make online corrections.
 
Sponsored

smoreho2

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Sep 28, 2022
Threads
4
Messages
207
Reaction score
135
Location
Virginia
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Hybrid (October 2023)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A couple of days ago, I was running errands, everything great, as usual. Then, I got into the 2026 Maverick XLT, and I had no electronics. The big screen was black. Console screens were OK. Turned it off and back on a couple of times - no change. So I decided to drive on to next stop. Put it in reverse, had backup camera - but none of the usual guidance - just a camera of what was behind me. Parked at next stop, went in, came out, cranked the truck - everything working fine!

Since then, I had one event where, on startup, things hesitated while the screen said couldn't find the key. Then that went away immediately and everything was OK.

Before that, I had an event where I went to get in the truck and it wouldn't recognize my touch and open up. Tried several times. Then just stood there for a few minutes pondering this. Tried again and it opened up.

On another occasion, got in truck, cranked up, went to put it in reverse, and the gear selector would not turn. Tried rotating the steering wheel a bit, and then it let me put it in gear.

I also discovered by accident that if you open the door to lock the truck, and don't let go of the doorhandle while pushing the lock button, the next time you try to get in it won't let you. I went around to the passenger door to get the truck to unlock.

So... Is this normal stuff? Or do I have serious problems developing in my 2 month old truck?
Are you able to read any codes it may be throwing? That is a good place to start
 

Dave O

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
Dave
Joined
Jan 25, 2025
Threads
33
Messages
1,743
Reaction score
2,365
Location
New Smyrna Beach Florida
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ford Maverick Lariat AWD Hybrid, 2025 Subaru Forester, 04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs
 
I would expect all current issues to be resolved in the 2027 / 2028 Model Years - Ford must increase their spending in AI it’s the future of resolving the engineering failures we experience today
 

Old Young Man

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
First Name
Patrick
Joined
Apr 27, 2024
Threads
5
Messages
171
Reaction score
251
Location
Ormond Beach
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In the incident of only the drivers door locked it could be from hitt the manual door lock when exiting, not an electrical glitch.
 

ZABSMAV

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
Gary
Joined
Mar 7, 2024
Threads
6
Messages
708
Reaction score
890
Location
Utah
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
"I also discovered by accident that if you open the door to lock the truck, and don't let go of the doorhandle while pushing the lock button, the next time you try to get in it won't let you. I went around to the passenger door to get the truck to unlock.

So... Is this normal stuff? Or do I have serious problems developing in my 2 month old truck?

This one is on you. There have been dozens of similar comments about this. You are in fact pushing the MANUAL door lock lever (not the electric door lock button) when you pulled on the door lever to exit the vehicle. By doing so, when you exited the vehicle, you proceeded to manually lock just the driver's door. The problem is not the vehicle. The problem is yourself not being careful when exiting the vehicle.
 
OP
OP

3JB

2.5L Hybrid
Active member
First Name
Joe
Joined
Sep 2, 2026
Threads
3
Messages
31
Reaction score
32
Location
Florida
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Are you able to read any codes it may be throwing? That is a good place to start
No, sorry - don't have access to codes.
Sponsored

 
 







Top