Hiding the fire extinguisher in plain sight

AbnRgr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 944NA, Mazda Miata, PT Cruiser Conv.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Today I installed a bracket and quick release mechanism for my vehicle fire extinguisher under the driver’s seat. The bracket holding the extinguisher I obtained from AliExpress at a cost of about $10. When the silver knob shown in the photos is pulled out, the extinguisher, still attached to the upper portion of the bracket, can be rotated up and out of the bracket’s fixed base. The lower bracket is secured to an L-shaped metal angle piece. It in turn spans and is anchored by two bolts that are screwed to the truck floor replacing OEM bolts found on either side at the front of the seat’s rails. My L-shaped item was repurposed from another product. What I like is that the extinguisher is readily available once I roll the seat to the rear. Until I need it, it is basically out of sight. What do you think?
Ford Maverick Hiding the fire extinguisher in plain sight IMG_1550
Ford Maverick Hiding the fire extinguisher in plain sight IMG_1549
Ford Maverick Hiding the fire extinguisher in plain sight IMG_1548
Sponsored

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I'd love a closer view on the hardware and installation. I've considered something like this, but the brackets have tended to be over $100 and not specific to the Maverick.

OP
OP
AbnRgr

AbnRgr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Rather than dismantling what I put together today, these screen grabs from eBay should provide what you need. The first is the product I repurposed to serve as the base for the extinguisher bracket. I had reviewed the original product, an underseat storage box for an umbrella, for a program Amazon has to conduct blind product reviews. I found the product a waste of money. Until today, the pieces were sitting in a box in the corner of my garage. The second photo, again from eBay, shows the bracket holding the extinguisher. I actually purchase it from AliExpress for around $10. Delivery took two weeks. Take a look at the photos and let me know what additional questions you have.

Ford Maverick Hiding the fire extinguisher in plain sight IMG_0664

Ford Maverick Hiding the fire extinguisher in plain sight IMG_0665

Last edited:
Reactions: bgn
OP
OP
AbnRgr

AbnRgr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You see what I used to span between the two anchor bolts. If I was starting from scratch to mirror what I did, I would go to a big box store and pick up a piece of sturdy flat stock to do the job of the angled piece I used.

Sponsored

BLDDONR

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nicely done.

However, personally I went with an Element E50 extinguisher. Clean, no mess, non-toxic, easy to use, never expires, lasts 50 seconds and can be mounted or stored in a variety of locations. I chose to simply put it in the existing slot between the rear seat and the door, held in by a pair of leather gloves that could be super handy to have when actually fighting a fire.

https://elementfire.com/

Ford Maverick Hiding the fire extinguisher in plain sight IMG_5071

Ford Maverick Hiding the fire extinguisher in plain sight IMG_5149

OP
OP
AbnRgr

AbnRgr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My man got that shag carpet mod on the seats :ROFLMAO:
Australian sheepskin. I reserve the shag carpet for my living room along with the clear plastic slip covers.

Last edited:

Markii56

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the Avalon 12/22/23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I know it ain't elegant, but it's a perfect fit. The wadded-up white paper napkin is to keep it from rattling.

Ford Maverick Hiding the fire extinguisher in plain sight 20240304_102643

Last edited:

Old Fart

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT; 2016 Prius ECO
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I know it ain't elegant, but it's a perfect fit. The wadded-up a white paper napkin is to keep it from rattling.

20240304_102643.jpg
Holy sh*! Something that fits in that worthless slot.

Skulls Road

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nicely done.

However, personally I went with an Element E50 extinguisher. Clean, no mess, non-toxic, easy to use, never expires, lasts 50 seconds and can be mounted or stored in a variety of locations. I chose to simply put it in the existing slot between the rear seat and the door, held in by a pair of leather gloves that could be super handy to have when actually fighting a fire.

https://elementfire.com/

IMG_5071.jpeg

IMG_5149.jpeg
Every video I've seen that wasn't produced by the manufacturer shows how ineffective those are.

Sponsored

BLDDONR

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Every video I've seen that wasn't produced by the manufacturer shows how ineffective those are.
I’ve watched quite a few also. Thank you for your input.

dlhort1955

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Holy sh*! Something that fits in that worthless slot.
With my luck that thing would let loose when I least expect it and spray all over the interior. Like the idea though.

Krys

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Krys
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Today I installed a bracket and quick release mechanism for my vehicle fire extinguisher under the driver’s seat. The bracket holding the extinguisher I obtained from AliExpress at a cost of about $10. When the silver knob shown in the photos is pulled out, the extinguisher, still attached to the upper portion of the bracket, can be rotated up and out of the bracket’s fixed base. The lower bracket is secured to an L-shaped metal angle piece. It in turn spans and is anchored by two bolts that are screwed to the truck floor replacing OEM bolts found on either side at the front of the seat’s rails. My L-shaped item was repurposed from another product. What I like is that the extinguisher is readily available once I roll the seat to the rear. Until I need it, it is basically out of sight. What do you think?
IMG_1550.jpeg
IMG_1549.jpeg
IMG_1548.jpeg
Unfortunate that Ford never thought of giving us a place to install the fire extinguisher mount. I looked behind the rear seat, there is a plenty of space, but I didn't want to drill into metal. You found a good solution, but I tried a different tack making a dense foam holder to fit the storage space at the bed. This is hard to measure irregular space, I repurposed a 2" kneeling pad and cut it with a jigsaw to fit 3 1/4" x 14" fire extinguisher. Since the sharp edge at the a bottom of the bottle could cut into plastic storage box bottom, I cut a 1/2" thick insulation pad. Seems to work well, and the fire extinguisher stays tight.

Ford Maverick Hiding the fire extinguisher in plain sight 20240317_150910

Ford Maverick Hiding the fire extinguisher in plain sight 20240317_151346

Ford Maverick Hiding the fire extinguisher in plain sight 20240317_151316
Sponsored