Sponsored

Has anyone replaced their 8" screen? If so, how?

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not “it” on the Escape screen lol.

I’ll be the downer. I don’t think it’ll work with the escape screen without basically having a donor vehicle harness for the screen on top of a brand new, non-registered 2023 Escape screen from Ford. And time with Forscan or something else to program or get the vehicle to recognize the new radio and to recognize your Ford Pass account. Plus some functionality won’t work still because the main PCM and harness doesn’t have a pinout for this feature like rear defrost obviously, etc.

Going cheap for let’s say one out of a wrecked 2023 escape only and you hack the wiring. It turns on but either doesn’t start because it doesn’t recognize the vehicle it’s in or has issues with security messages and things not working because the infotainment screen is registered to a 2023 Ford Escape VIN and Ford Pass account and not your Maverick.

These are just my theories and not based in fact so maybe this has been done on other Ford vehicles. When Ford went to the Sync system is when I gave up on OEM head units lol.

I’m holding out hope though, if someone can add ACC and other stuff on here themselves, anything is possible.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not “it” on the Escape screen lol.

I’ll be the downer. I don’t think it’ll work with the escape screen without basically having a donor vehicle harness for the screen on top of a brand new, non-registered 2023 Escape screen from Ford. And time with Forscan or something else to program or get the vehicle to recognize the new radio and to recognize your Ford Pass account. Plus some functionality won’t work still because the main PCM and harness doesn’t have a pinout for this feature like rear defrost obviously, etc.

Going cheap for let’s say one out of a wrecked 2023 escape only and you hack the wiring. It turns on but either doesn’t start because it doesn’t recognize the vehicle it’s in or has issues with security messages and things not working because the infotainment screen is registered to a 2023 Ford Escape VIN and Ford Pass account and not your Maverick.

These are just my theories and not based in fact so maybe this has been done on other Ford vehicles. When Ford went to the Sync system is when I gave up on OEM head units lol.

I’m holding out hope though, if someone can add ACC and other stuff on here themselves, anything is possible.
Here's my thought:
There is a reason the Maverick has a slot that large. In my opinion, they always wanted to put the larger screen there but didn't have it ready in time. I'm thinking it might not take much effort for them to add it as an option for the 2024 model.

Honestly, the only thing likely to keep it from working is the fact Ford adds Sync 4 on the Escape when you select the 13" screen. Given the Maverick currently tops out at Sync 3, that may be the lone limitation.

Not it, either!

@commadorebob practically volunteered! Let us know how it turns out!!
I said I might get bored. Jury is out...

Last edited:

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

New2AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Okay, who's gonna be the guinea pig?
I already failed at trying to replace my APIM module with an F-150 module w/nav. Not because the unit is faulty (I have no idea) but because I am not good at doing things like this.

Sponsored

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's out there on the 2023 Escape. 13.2" diagonal will fit using up the cubby, probably.

1670267351744.png

But only 8" of it is used for nav. The "cubby" area is more for "info".

Car and Driver article.
CarPlay and Android Auto can be expanded to take up the full width of the screen (hiding that info pane on the right), not sure if native Sync 4 navigation can as well.

2020+ Escape 8" has:

Push-button start to the left of the left vent, behind the steering wheel
Same row of buttons below the touchscreen as in Maverick, including power/volume, play/pause, seek, screen off
Same climate module down below the HVAC vents
Drive mode, auto start/stop near gear shift module (dial)

2023+ Escape 13.2" has:

Push-button start, auto start/stop, max defrost, drive mode, power/volume relocated where the climate module was
Climate relocated to the bottom bar on the Sync 4 touchscreen. No physical climate controls other than max defrost
No dedicated controls for track/radio station, no button to turn off the touchscreen
The spot that housed the auto start/stop, drive mode, etc. buttons is now a little sauce packet/change bin

Probably the bare minimum would be to fabricate some sort of bracket to hold the larger screen in place and stick the physical infotainment controls somewhere else - surely you'd want to keep the volume knob and power button. Once you start trying to change all the other control panels to match, it gets more involved.

And that's before even looking at ensuring the modules would be supported.

Last edited:

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Man, all the cubby hate on here....

I love the cubby, my GW Finn wallet fits perfectly in there! I find that more useful than a larger screen. Then again, I like AM radio, so..... đŸ€ 

Lordran_Hollow

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota 86 860 Edition
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I haven't received my Maverick yet, but the second I'm able to tear that screen out, I'm going to. I'm waiting on Metra to make an aftermarket dash kit for the vehicle, then the plan is to put a modular radio like the Pioneer DMH-C5500 NEX in and experiment with the MaestroRR and see if I can get the data features to work on the radio (which is actually really important, as the radio in the truck will most likely help control the air conditioning).

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

That unit is probably north of $1500...easily...

Sponsored

austinzone

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
id be happy with another 8" screen from another ford model that doesnt look like piss.

god the factory screen is washed out with crappy colors.

TpaTruck

Man, all the cubby hate on here....

I love the cubby, my GW Finn wallet fits perfectly in there! I find that more useful than a larger screen. Then again, I like AM radio, so..... đŸ€ 
I like the cubby too, but I think I would like the larger screen more....Probably cuz I like FM radio

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
id be happy with another 8" screen from another ford model that doesnt look like piss.

god the factory screen is washed out with crappy colors.
Some here have already replaced the base system in their Maverick with 8” Sync 3 or 4, which brings with it a better display and image quality. Not sure how the backup cam feed compares, if the camera or the display is the limitation on image quality there.

OP
OP
ClemsonU88

ClemsonU88

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick; 2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I haven't received my Maverick yet, but the second I'm able to tear that screen out, I'm going to. I'm waiting on Metra to make an aftermarket dash kit for the vehicle, then the plan is to put a modular radio like the Pioneer DMH-C5500 NEX in and experiment with the MaestroRR and see if I can get the data features to work on the radio (which is actually really important, as the radio in the truck will most likely help control the air conditioning).
I think I'll try to get a 70in screen in there. I do believe I can get it to fit with some modifications
Ok, Hollow & Commadore are taking the point on this one (whoever gets their Maverick first), and we're gonna put Nunya at the rear...not because we don't want his idea implemented (quite the opposite). I'm just thinking this could go horribly wrong and take out the whole company if he's out front. :)

If the price point is more than $500, ClemsonU88 is out. I'm as cheap as I am ambitious. Those 2 qualities frequently work against each other for me, and the cheapness almost always wins out...unless Nunya can somehow make the 70" screen work. That would be worth it.