SamVil

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In my new maverick lariat hybrid at the 1000 mile mark with a mixture of city and highway driving I’m getting about 35mpg. I’ve had some folks report on YouTube and chat rooms crazy numbers like 45mpg etc. am I missing something? Does my driving generally suck or are there better ways to improve fuel economy? :)
Sponsored

Warlord_Zsinj

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My commute to work is around 42 miles round trip on a 75mph freeway and my average fuel economy is 36.1 mpg. When I drive in town I can get over 50 mpg while driving but the highway I take every day really skews the average. I will say though the window sticker for my hybrid said the combined mileage was 37mpg so you are hovering around that. Maybe the reviewers just baby their trucks and only drive them around town.

OP
OP

SamVil

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks so much … I’m wondering if switching to eco or slippery mode might help… didn’t try that? …been seeing some folks referring to that … not critical but just curious if I can boost my mpg ..

Waterick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mav Lariat, '14 Prius, '83 'Stang, more...
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The secret to long term fuel economy is to avoid short trips where the truck never fully warms up. The Maverick because the ICE operates so little, can take several miles to reach normal operating temperature. Until it does your gas mileage will be reduced. More noticeable in cold weather, not so much when it's hot.

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Use the EV coach to stay in electric mode when feasible. I mostly use Eco mode.
My average is 43mpg after 25,000 miles.

Current tank, probably 30/70 highway/city.

Ford Maverick Best Fuel economy on a hybrid IMG20240305103632

Sponsored

Mc_Flier

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Area 51 Maverick Hybrid, Street Glide Special
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I’m about the same as the above post. About 500 miles into this tank of fuel and it shows 47.3 currently

Last edited:

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Give Eco mode a try. I use it exclusively and am averaging 44 mpg over 25k miles. The extra regen makes me feel way more in control too.

OP
OP

SamVil

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks so much … is there a way to default this mode or do I need to change it everytime I get into the truck … seems like I have to set it as it always defaults to normal… sorry still figuring things out …

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Thanks so much … is there a way to default this mode or do I need to change it everytime I get into the truck … seems like I have to set it as it always defaults to normal… sorry still figuring things out …
You have to select it every time. Just hit the button 5 times before you clear the OKs or 4 times after clearing.

Sponsored

csuh13

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have been getting a reliable 40mpg on my 15 mile commute in the morning on the freeway, and about 51 on the way home (mostly downhill in that direction.)

I'm always in Eco mode and always use the EV coach.

hdave

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Alto Blue Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There are lots of good helpful tips from others here. I'm sure you'll get there once you learn to use a hybrid more.

A short summary:
- use eco or slippery mode (i prefer eco and get better mileage using it, I'm still trying to learn slippery mode properly to get me better mileage)
- longer trips tend to be better because the ICE warms up to operating temperature
- city trips tend to be better since you're traveling at lower speeds
- try to have a 'pulse and glide' driving style where you speed up to a bit over the limit, let off the gas, and glide along in electric as much as possible before pulsing again
- try not to glide with the power meter near the top of the electric power limit which uses the electric motor, it tends to be better when you glide close to the area between charge and drive
- look way ahead and do as much coasting as possible, let off the gas pedal early and glide towards red lights, etc.
- don't pulse towards your speed super slowly, its OK to give it a bit of gas to get there quicker (hard to say by how much)
- limit HVAC usage if possible. the heat uses engine heat and will cause the ICE to kick in much more often. the AC uses the high voltage battery and will drain it faster which will cause the ICE to turn on

Last edited:

lajlmt

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Maverick XLT LUX
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

In my new maverick lariat hybrid at the 1000 mile mark with a mixture of city and highway driving I’m getting about 35mpg. I’ve had some folks report on YouTube and chat rooms crazy numbers like 45mpg etc. am I missing something? Does my driving generally suck or are there better ways to improve fuel economy? :)
39 here.. got 40 in Hawaii but it was downhill and then traffic there, in Rio Rancho, NM trying to get that back.. I’m going to clear my trip feature 😂

Master Blaster

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Master
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm in Canada, so I'm converting kilometers and liters to U.S. measurements for most of the readers here. I think that the truck is pretty well past its break-in period now. I now have 5100mi on the odo, and I'm still on the factory oil and the factory Michelin Primacy tires. I use nothing but Costco 87-octane fuel. The weather swings are pretty wild in March around here, but averages about 40F. I'm getting 54mpg driving like a granny and doing some simple hi-miler tricks like extended slowdown coming to a red light and watching the brake coach to recover 100% energy when braking, with about 50lbs in the bed. If I'm on the highway I keep it to about 65mph max. I'm usually at about 45% electric. The dash says 511 miles to empty after the last fillup 50mi ago, so assuming its relatively accurate, its estimating about 560mi to empty.

BuddyS

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 R Design & 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I don't think you're far off "normal" real-world use. I've got about 12K on mine and the lifetime MPG is about 38.5. That's a mix of very short local trips, moderate all-day running around locally (errands), a dozen or so 45-mile highway trips to the airport, and two 2,000K+ mile trips. Usually doing around 80 on the highways. I'm in Florida, so not a lot of hills to help/hurt mileage.

All of the above driving is me just getting in the truck and driving -- never racing and never babying it. (I'm just a boring 50-something guy...). On the few occassions that I HAVE tried to get crazy good MPGs I can often get 50mpg over 20 or so miles at 45-50 mph.
Sponsored