Sponsored

GPS trackers installed by lenders

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
Anyone ever find a tracker on their truck? I did! - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans
Auto Lenders | GPS for Car Finance and Credit Unions - Spireon

I suppose there are more privacy intrusion methods out there that I don't really want to think about (Sync, the Fordpass app, and smart phones in general) but it was news to me how mainstream GPS trackers (LoJack) seem to be. I can understand for fleet operations but didn't realize level of usage by some lenders. Guess I'll have to root around under the Maverick dash to see if I've been "tagged".
Sponsored

SpacemanSpiff

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tyreese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-15 Eagle
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I mean if "they" really want to track your vehicle they will. Most tires have RF chips in them, it would take very minimal effort to install a tracker at intersections that would power up the RF chip and record it. And conveniently tire dealers are required by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to offer tire registration to customers when they buy brand new tires, linking your name/address to the RF chip in the tires in the process.

That's all the conspiracy theory nut I have in me for today.

Also, man never landed on the moon, it was the lunar module that landed.

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just another thing tracking our location. Like you say, phones already know everything about us and where we are at all times. The phones even tell us with their useless “allow GPS while using this app.” No chance it’s actually turned off when we say so.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Probity's Weekend Plans Dramatization:

Meh, I mean it is their car, not yours. Trackers help reduce your costs because there are people that knowingly get loans for cars they never plan to pay and just duck. Easiest way to steal a car if you aren't worried about your credit.

Ford Maverick GPS trackers installed by lenders 2022-Maverick-Build-Window-Sticker-Blend-Date-Production-Rotation-Number-Built-Shipped-Emails-

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Probity's Weekend Plans Dramatization:

Meh, I mean it is their car, not yours. Trackers help reduce your costs because there are people that knowingly get loans for cars they never plan to pay and just duck. Easiest way to steal a car if you aren't worried about your credit.
Nothing to hide no need to worry.

Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nothing to hide no need to worry.
Europe has good laws on this. They allow the entity with a reasonable and disclosed vested interest to collect information, such as tracking your vehicle, but only to the extent that they have to show they had a good business reason it had to be collected and only collect specifically what is reasonably warranted, and they can't sell that information to third parties and have to ensure any collected data is deleted after wards and follow certain security protocols to ensure that data isn't easily distributed online via hackers. So they can't share your driving habits to some company or feds years after you've already paid the vehicle off so its yours.

After all, you may not care that some company that presently owns the vehicle wants to be able to track it, but you might care if your wife can pay them $5 for access to it and a recorded history of everywhere its been and use that in divorce court, lol! "See Judge Judy, every Friday he went over to that ho Becky's house when he said he was going to work, and I didn't even know he worked a 4-day week with Friday's off!"

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Europe has good laws on this. They allow the entity with a reasonable and disclosed vested interest to collect information, such as tracking your vehicle, but only to the extent that they have to show they had a good business reason it had to be collected and only collect specifically what is reasonably warranted, and they can't sell that information to third parties and have to ensure any collected data is deleted after wards and follow certain security protocols to ensure that data isn't easily distributed online via hackers. So they can't share your driving habits to some company or feds years after you've already paid the vehicle off so its yours.

After all, you may not care that some company that presently owns the vehicle wants to be able to track it, but you might care if your wife can pay them $5 for access to it and a recorded history of everywhere its been and use that in divorce court, lol! "See Judge Judy, every Friday he went over to that ho Becky's house when he said he was going to work, and I didn't even know he worked a 4-day week with Friday's off!"
Interesting about the Europe laws. I wonder if GB has their own law now that they are outside the EU.
Hahahahahaha About the divorce court. I could see that happen here in the states.

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How is your social credit score?
I don’t know. We don’t live in that world yet. But I’m sure we will soon. Heard stories China has one in some sort of fashion.

Sponsored

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
America is quickly heading down that road. ....“act nice and we will allow you to access your money so you may eat.”

I have been to China many times and they have more cameras pointed at the sidewalks watching the people, than they do watching the roads.
Welp, get some Bitcoin.

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you navigate from your vehicle, the vehicle is being tracked by one or more entities. If you have a phone, your phone connection is tracked. If you log into social media or a forum or Google, your location is tracked. It's just nearly impossible to avoid all of that without deep hermit conspiracy level planning on your part.

So, while I'm not going to add some insurance company's 'speed monitoring' device in order to theoretically save a few bucks on my car insurance, I acknowledge that it's pretty nearly impossible to legitimately go off the grid, nor do I want to.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If any of you are on Allstate Milewise Auto Insurance they provide a device that plugs into the OBD II port. That device monitors your travel and uploads data about sudden braking, over 80 MPH time, late night driving and your mileage driven. The mileage driven is used to bill you at the per mile rate. The other info can affect what they bill you (daily rate, mileage cost) at the next renewal.

The milewise program offers great savings if you drive very little. You pay a daily rate and a per mile rate. Both myself and wife are on the program. I only drive about 4500 miles yearly and the wife only about a 1000 mile per year. Our insurance costs were reduced by about 40%.

You are giving up a lot of data and the GPS data is extremely accurate. I have seen it map a trip from my driveway into my garage which was about 20 ft.

This is an example of a short trip from lunch to the hardware store.

Went 0.9 miles in 4 minutes and cost 3 cents.

Google shows about the same detail with their timeline maps.

Ford Maverick GPS trackers installed by lenders Milewise - Hardware Store Trip.JPG

Last edited:

Lone Star Proud

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anyone ever find a tracker on their truck? I did! - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans
Auto Lenders | GPS for Car Finance and Credit Unions - Spireon

I suppose there are more privacy intrusion methods out there that I don't really want to think about (Sync, the Fordpass app, and smart phones in general) but it was news to me how mainstream GPS trackers (LoJack) seem to be. I can understand for fleet operations but didn't realize level of usage by some lenders. Guess I'll have to root around under the Maverick dash to see if I've been "tagged".
Wearing a tin foil hat defeats all GPS tracking devices while driving.

Ford Maverick GPS trackers installed by lenders 1631591702471
Sponsored