Sponsored

Got recalls done and now my Hybrid Mav is full of problems.

Bmr4mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid 23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Had my 2023 for 13 months, 11k miles. First 1yr was 10k miles with zero issues. Got my 10k service done 3/1/24 where 3 recalls were applied, main culprit being the 23P18 PCM recall.

Since then my gas engine has shuddered while turning off about 5 times (never done that before 3/1/24).

On 3/23/24 the truck went into limp mode while on the highway with an engine light and Ford Pass service required message. Was able to wait a couple hours and get the truck back home (was 70 miles into a short road trip). This issue self cleared on 3/25/24.

Iā€™m now also noticing a shake during hard acceleration that is getting worse and worse since yesterday. The truck is going back to Ford this Friday and I have to rent something for my kidā€™s spring break trip to FL. No loaners anywhere but I can get $60 per day rental reimbursed but I must rent a Ford.

I hate to think about selling it but I've owned so many power train/driver-train trouble free new and well used vehicles over the last 25 years. I really hope they can get my Maverick back to normal.

Ford Maverick Got recalls done and now my Hybrid Mav is full of problems. IMG_2451
Sponsored

Last edited:

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That is unfortunate and it's a major issue that is hitting the hybrids after the software updates...

OP
OP

Bmr4mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid 23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's one of my theories also.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
Had my 2023 for 13 months, 11k miles. First 1yr was 10k miles with zero issues. Got my 10k service done 3/1/24 where 3 recalls were applied, main culprit being the 23P18 PCM recall.

Since then my gas engine has shuddered while turning off about 5 times (never done that before 3/1/24).

On 3/23/24 the truck went into limp mode while on the highway with an engine light and Ford Pass service required message. Was able to wait a couple hours and get the truck back home (was 70 miles into a short road trip). This issue self cleared on 3/25/24.

Iā€™m now also noticing a shake during hard acceleration that is getting worse and worse since yesterday. The truck is going back to Ford this Friday and I have to rent something for my kidā€™s spring break trip to FL. No loaners anywhere but I can get $60 per day rental reimbursed but I must rent a Ford.

I hate to think about selling it but I've owned so many power train/driver-train trouble free new and well used vehicles over the last 25 years. I really hope they can get my Maverick back to normal.

IMG_2451.png
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

zach57x

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You would think it's pretty straight forward to download a new software to the vehicle right? Unless they are inputting wrong information about the vehicle, I don't see how they could mess this up

Sponsored

CurtisB

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I think the thing to take note here is the 23P18 PCM recall seems to be the issue. I think we all need to investigate as to why only certain VIN#'s are getting this recall and others are not. The posters vehicle (according to his profile) is a 2023 Hybrid Lariat. I have seen this issue mostly with 2022 Hybrids, so, there must be a VIN# associated with the 23P18 PCM recall. I have a 2023 Hybrid XLT and my VIN# does not require this recall. I wonder why?

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The root issue is really that the entire vehicular computer design is last century. A gazillion decentralized controllers, each with their own software (not written or owned by Ford), communicating over a dated automotive bus. So update one, and then cross your fingers they all still work together. And hope the human doing the updating has a clue what they're doing.

Oh, and when customers report a problems, Ford and the supplier get to point fingers, then negotiate over the fix, and a dozen other stupid and time wasting steps until you see the fix. And then pray it was actually fixed. I have actually been the software engineer in the middle of this glorious (expletive deleted) fest.

I hate to throw out Tesla here (NOT a Tesla fanboy), but they pointed the way. Centralized, over-the-air updates. Slowly but surely killing all those little computers in favor of zonal or even centralized computing. Own all the software yourself. It's the only path that leads to sanity.

It's kind of funny to hear folks complaining about all these newfangled computerized cars. Guys, your cars have been computerized for 50 years now. You just weren't aware.

https://www.chipsetc.com/computer-chips-inside-the-car.html#:~:text=History of Computers in Cars,computer controlled anti-skid system.

Waterick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mav Lariat, '14 Prius, '83 'Stang, more...
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Edit:Re: @Scott Asheville

Enjoyed the article. Reminds me of all the technical advances I've seen over time. Sure seems Ford should have all these systems better integrated than what seems to be happening.

KevCuRaoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

IMG_2451.png

Ford put a pause on 23E09. That pause has now been cleared (as of Friday March 22).
At some point there must have been some fault in the updated software.... my 22 Hybrid XLT had the update in mid-January. I haven't had any issues...and I haven't heard of anyone w/ issues from January updates. So it was likely a later update than mine that cause the issue.

It looks to me like Ford thinks that they have solved the software issue. I think that reupdating all of the modules involved in that recall should solve the problem for most people.

There may have been similar issues w/ other PCM update recalls (like 23P18).
At any rate, have your service dept see if there is a PCM update available for your Maverick. Hopefully that will solve the issue!

Vibration on acceleration may be the CV joint in axles. That was the case w/ mine. I had vibration under load. Especially uphill. Only when ICE running. Both front axles replaced solved the issues for me. Driver side CV joint was worse than passenger side.

nandesho

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Hybrid Lariat BAP, '24 Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think the thing to take note here is the 23P18 PCM recall seems to be the issue. I think we all need to investigate as to why only certain VIN#'s are getting this recall and others are not. The posters vehicle (according to his profile) is a 2023 Hybrid Lariat. I have seen this issue mostly with 2022 Hybrids, so, there must be a VIN# associated with the 23P18 PCM recall. I have a 2023 Hybrid XLT and my VIN# does not require this recall. I wonder why?
Do you have the 23E07 Software calibration update, or 23E09 Reprogram powertrain control module? My 2023 Lariat Hybrid (built 12/22) has both of these listed with a "remedy not yet available" note. But I'm considering never getting it done even if available.

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The root issue is really that the entire vehicular computer design is last century. A gazillion decentralized controllers, each with their own software (not written or owned by Ford), communicating over a dated automotive bus. So update one, and then cross your fingers they all still work together. And hope the human doing the updating has a clue what they're doing.

Oh, and when customers report a problems, Ford and the supplier get to point fingers, then negotiate over the fix, and a dozen other stupid and time wasting steps until you see the fix. And then pray it was actually fixed. I have actually been the software engineer in the middle of this glorious (expletive deleted) fest.

I hate to throw out Tesla here (NOT a Tesla fanboy), but they pointed the way. Centralized, over-the-air updates. Slowly but surely killing all those little computers in favor of zonal or even centralized computing. Own all the software yourself. It's the only path that leads to sanity.

It's kind of funny to hear folks complaining about all these newfangled computerized cars. Guys, your cars have been computerized for 50 years now. You just weren't aware.

https://www.chipsetc.com/computer-chips-inside-the-car.html#:~:text=History of Computers in Cars,computer controlled anti-skid system.
Correct. When fuel injection replaced carburetors, computers came along to control the injectors. No more do-it-yourself shade tree mechanics. Now, we have high school drop outs "fixing" our cars in the oil change bay.
Ford Maverick Got recalls done and now my Hybrid Mav is full of problems. Fubar
Sponsored