Sponsored

Got recalls done and now my Hybrid Mav is full of problems.

VicRattlehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Couple ford cars and a truck
Engine
Undecided
You would think it's pretty straight forward to download a new software to the vehicle right? Unless they are inputting wrong information about the vehicle, I don't see how they could mess this up
If it’s the lube idiot they’re the ones that often forget to put oil in forget to tighten drain pan plug forget to tighten oil filter.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I hate to throw out Tesla here (NOT a Tesla fanboy), but they pointed the way. Centralized, over-the-air updates. Slowly but surely killing all those little computers in favor of zonal or even centralized computing. Own all the software yourself. It's the only path that leads to sanity.
Until your MCU fails and bricks most of the functionality of the vehicle. Having a single point of failure has its own downsides.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

If it were built in America it wouldn't have higher quality, just be more expensive.

Vehicles are built to specs. The fact that Ford is the most recalled brand in America 3 years in a row speaks volumes to how well those specs are followed by suppliers and Ford themselves. And they're working very, very hard at being top dog for the 4th year as well.

OP
OP

Bmr4mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid 23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford put a pause on 23E09. That pause has now been cleared (as of Friday March 22).
At some point there must have been some fault in the updated software.... my 22 Hybrid XLT had the update in mid-January. I haven't had any issues...and I haven't heard of anyone w/ issues from January updates. So it was likely a later update than mine that cause the issue.

It looks to me like Ford thinks that they have solved the software issue. I think that reupdating all of the modules involved in that recall should solve the problem for most people.

There may have been similar issues w/ other PCM update recalls (like 23P18).
At any rate, have your service dept see if there is a PCM update available for your Maverick. Hopefully that will solve the issue!

Vibration on acceleration may be the CV joint in axles. That was the case w/ mine. I had vibration under load. Especially uphill. Only when ICE running. Both front axles replaced solved the issues for me. Driver side CV joint was worse than passenger side.
Thanks for the details and your vibration under load exactly matches what I am experiencing with gas engine running and uphills is much worse. I guess my next question is will the new set last longer than 10k miles?

Sponsored

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If it were built in America it wouldn't have higher quality, just be more expensive.

Vehicles are built to specs. The fact that Ford is the most recalled brand in America 3 years in a row speaks volumes to how well those specs are followed by suppliers and Ford themselves. And they're working very, very hard at being top dog for the 4th year as well.
Amen. Getting built by the UAW will not necessarily translate to a trouble free life time vehicle. I think the bigger problem is all the off shore Chinese made parts that are flooding our shelves nowadays.

CurtisB

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Do you have the 23E07 Software calibration update, or 23E09 Reprogram powertrain control module? My 2023 Lariat Hybrid (built 12/22) has both of these listed with a "remedy not yet available" note. But I'm considering never getting it done even if available.
It appears that also the 23E07 Software calibration update, or 23E09 Reprogram powertrain control module are causing this issue with 2022 builds. I would wait until the engine/power shut off issue is corrected. My VIN# also does not require these two updates.

NeedForSteve

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Fusion 2.3; 2023 HPR XLT EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When the dealer prints your RO, any outstanding recalls should be added as repair lines. Any recalls that qualify as safety are done automatically, usually by whoever is servicing the vehicle. Obviously if someone is very new or isn't tech literate, they probably won't be allowed to program but most folks in the shop can handle it. In reality, it's pretty hard to screw up a module reprogram with IDS or FDRS outside of the battery dying halfway through or there being a problem with the actual program.

Now module replacements that involve As-Built data programming? That's a whole nother bag but I don't remember many, if any, recalls requiring As-Built. If it's a recall, there's usually a step-by-step guide.

OC-D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Similar boat but I waited too limited warranty was almost done to get all the recalls, in the short experience since getting all the recalls on my ‘22 Hybrid, a ton of the little issues got resolved. Weird braking issue solved, the shutter on acceleration solved (not a recall issue but apparently they a heat pump)…. Only issue now is hyper flashing blinkers but got to replace a bulb to confirm it’s anticipated behavior. It’s really hard to beat the original value (even at newer pricing it still makes sense) so I’m hoping to keep this for awhile.

tl;dr - never had to worry about a new car so early on but to be on the safe side I ended up getting the warranty (granger pricing). The ’22 Hybrid XL is cheap enough up front that including a warranty for a longer period still makes sense to me.

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
A gazillion decentralized controllers, each with their own software (not written or owned by Ford), communicating over a dated automotive bus. So update one, and then cross your fingers they all still work together.
Just had an issue along that line with a Toyota steering angle sensor. Once the steering angle sensor goes out-of-range one time, the chip in the sensor bricks itself and returns a permanent reading of -850.5 degrees.

There's a backdoor way to solder a USB cable to the board with the sensor and clear the brick, but the official procedure is to replace the steering angle sensor/spiral cable (clock spring) assembly, at a price of $625 for parts.
Sponsored