First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F150, 2001 F350 Diesel Dually, 2019 Kia Soul
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm with you dude. That twin clutch rear is pretty damn awesome. I don't think it's going to make the maverick into a rock crawler nor do I think it's intended to be. I get the vibe it's more of a soft trail bomber.

I put that twin clutch rear to the test and it impressed me alot.

20220730_153757_exported_22177.jpg
This is the reason the twin clutch rear is important on the Maverick platform. There is very little flex in the suspension. It will have wheels off the ground much more than a traditional truck. I wouldn't take much of a built rig to have all 4 on the ground in that exact spot
Sponsored

Jraoffroad

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Be mindful that even ford didn't fix the wheel moving forward when lifting the Tremor.
I'm hoping, but not hopeful, that Ford did fix this. Remember all the pics we have seen are of a pre production unit. It appears issue is the short trailing arm that's being used and the steep angle it's at. In theory moving the front of the arm down the same amount as the lift should recenter the wheel. But at full compression the wheel may move to far rearward. We will need a production unit in hand to figure it all out.

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Mav, 15' KTM 1190 ADV R, 19' Husq TE250i
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is the reason the twin clutch rear is important on the Maverick platform. There is very little flex in the suspension. It will have wheels off the ground much more than a traditional truck. I wouldn't take much of a built rig to have all 4 on the ground in that exact spot
Probably a sway bar unlinked new big bronco could do it tbh.

Yea I have no doubts it'll help the maverick but I still just don't see it as a crawler. Ford seemingly doesn't either seeing how they didn't give it a rock crawl mode or front camera like other models. If the suspension is tuned as I hope, I could see it blasting some decent trails and feeling fun doing so. Rear clutch lock helps if you come across any off camber weird spots and also digging out of some softer dirty and or sand/snow.

Also good point about preproduction. The jury is still in session and we'll see. Not holding my breath though tbh.

Jraoffroad

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I mean there's not a proper low gear so anything too crazy will be a no go. Tremor has a trans cooler as well right? Is it the same as fx4 tow package cooler?
May take is it's a bigger cooler then 4k or FX4. They list aux trans cooler, tremor list HD aux cooler. Another thing will have to see in person.

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I mean there's not a proper low gear so anything too crazy will be a no go. Tremor has a trans cooler as well right? Is it the same as fx4 tow package cooler?
Yes on the trans cooler, I think. No proper low gear but neither does the BS badlands. Just the L which is just s lockout really.

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Yea that's why I said at a smarter angle/approach. That take and approach was intentionally to show off what the rear can do. I just don't think the extra
foot or so on the tremors wheel base would inspire confidence three wheeling at that height.
A longer wheelbase will inspire tip-over confidence in a wheel up climbing situation, confidence that you wont roll, even if that fact keeps you from the confidence of traversing the obstacle. But yeah approach is everything. Which is why the Tremor has a nice tucked bumper.

Be mindful that even ford didn't fix the wheel moving forward when lifting the Tremor. I'd shop the after market for companies that have a resolution to either re-enter that wheel or keep it from further creeping cause I'd hate to see you smack fenders every time you do anything remotely pushing it.
Im not worried about that rear wheel center. Its placed that wayfor load and compression. When the suspension is compressed it travels backwards. That being said one of the big things I think we will eventually see if people do offrad these alot is a revised rear radius arm. I dont personally like the single thickness stamped construction of it. On 60s and 70s cars that used to get rallied and baja'd, and even just racing, they would box the single plate stampings. I think I will be doing something along those lines aswell as possibly cutting and turning them similar to whats required in a long travel lifted TTB Ford. Pretty simple if you can weld and a good opportunity to increase strength.

Of course I will wait a while till I do anything like that. Probably after the warranty phase. When parts are cheap and plentiful. I will look at modifying all the rear control arms(since they are steel) and finding larger compatible arms for the front from different vehicles. Also Im sure there will be CVs of some sort that fit a longer travel and slightly wider track. I learned that from my AMC Eagle, you can lift its IFS 3+ inches but anything over 2" requires CV shafts from a 80s s10 or caddy fwd. 70s AMC racing coilover conversions are also compatible with Eagles. Even the old 70s Maverick could use disc brakes from the later Granada if it was built with 4 wheel drums like my old 400hp death machine in my profile pic.

Thing are limited now but a decade from now this will be one of those vehicles that is highly hacked, with all kinds of swaps and tricks. It may be one of the last to be modified more mechanically then electonically. Speaking of electronics, who wants to retrofit GMs magneride from old busted caddys and camaros onto their Maverick in 10 years? Why lift or lower when you can do both?

Jraoffroad

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The lack of low range isn't as huge as people make it sound. Low gears are a fairly recent thing. Lets take a 1980 Chevy K10, just because I know in 1980 the NP205 was the only tcase you could get in a Chevy truck. The NP205 is very desirable case still today. It has a 1.96:1 low range. A little googling shows 3.08 axle gears as the only option with the V8 that year and the only V8 was the 305 with 160HP and 235 ft lb in it's best trim. The auto trans was a TH350. So we have a 2.52 1st gear, 1.96 low and 3.08 axle. 2.52x1.96x3.08= a whopping 15.09 crawl ratio.

The Maverick has 4.69 1st and a 3.63 axle. 4.69x3.63=17.02

So lower gearing without low range then a Square body chevy in low.

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A longer wheelbase will inspire tip-over confidence in a wheel up climbing situation, confidence that you wont roll, even if that fact keeps you from the confidence of traversing the obstacle. But yeah approach is everything. Which is why the Tremor has a nice tucked bumper.
My hesitation comes from greater force of impact in a scenario like I posted with the BS. I could see a longer wheel base helping with rolling backwards but when three wheeling and the eventual tipping point comes a longer wheel base will have the tipping ends drop and lower at great velocity. Im clearly thinking worst case scenario and this most likely not be an issue for anyone. Hopefully that tremor suspension handles and dampens that well.

I've just seen guys in 1 ton long beds think it's the best thing off road because it has a Cummins. Later to only do a 84 point Austin powers style turn to get back towards the trail head. Some times with a sweet rear bumper crunched up.

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The lack of low range isn't as huge as people make it sound. Low gears are a fairly recent thing. Lets take a 1980 Chevy K10, just because I know in 1980 the NP205 was the only tcase you could get in a Chevy truck. The NP205 is very desirable case still today. It has a 1.96:1 low range. A little googling shows 3.08 axle gears as the only option with the V8 that year and the only V8 was the 305 with 160HP and 235 ft lb in it's best trim. The auto trans was a TH350. So we have a 2.52 1st gear, 1.96 low and 3.08 axle. 2.52x1.96x3.08= a whopping 15.09 crawl ratio.

The Maverick has 4.69 1st and a 3.63 axle. 4.69x3.63=17.02

So lower gearing without low range then a Square body chevy in low.
Yea I never really understood the hate on that. If you needed any lower gearing than what the 8 spd gives you, you are probably going into something way out of league.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

My hesitation comes from greater force of impact in a scenario like I posted with the BS. I could see a longer wheel base helping with rolling backwards but when three wheeling and the eventual tipping point comes a longer wheel base will have the tipping ends drop and lower at great velocity. Im clearly thinking worst case scenario and this most likely not be an issue for anyone. Hopefully that tremor suspension handles and dampens that well.

I've just seen guys in 1 ton long beds think it's the best thing off road because it has a Cummins. Later to only do a 84 point Austin powers style turn to get back towards the trail head. Some times with a sweet rear bumper crunched up.
Ohh yeah bumpers are a trucks enemy for sure. The BS is actually a genius design to enthuse novice offroaders. It has a better departure angle than approach. That way anything you can get your nose in and your belly over is home free. Also a reason why I think leveling kits are silly on a Maverick. If you dont put a bigger tire on its actually possible to lower the departure angle ensuring getting hung up. When it comes time to lift I plan on mixing and matching spacers to make a level lift to keep my rear bumper nice and high.

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Yea I never really understood the hate on that. If you needed any lower gearing than what the 8 spd gives you, you are probably going into something way out of league.
And a L button to hold that low gear when needed. An 8spd trans is like a AOD(E4OD) with automatic low range transfer case built in.

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
And a L button to hold that low gear when needed. An 8spd trans is like a AOD(E4OD) with automatic low range transfer case built in.
E4OD takes me back!

Ford Maverick Fx4 + 4k tow vs Tremor Screenshot_20220527-130416_Instagram

Ford Maverick Fx4 + 4k tow vs Tremor Screenshot_20220527-130435_Instagram

Jraoffroad

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
E4OD takes me back!

Screenshot_20220527-130416_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20220527-130435_Instagram.jpg
I have memory's of E4OD's, but none are good. Hell the built 4R100 in my tow rig scares me enough that We have a talk before every long trip.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Having pushed the FX4 through deep snow, mud, and some pretty crazy ruts, I can't say its limitation is in getting grip with decent tires. The limiting factor is ground clearance and angles.

Sure, the Tremor is "better" on paper, but I would guess few really will see the difference between it and the FX4.

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have memory's of E4OD's, but none are good. Hell the built 4R100 in my tow rig scares me enough that We have a talk before every long trip.
Oddly enough I never had a trans issue on this truck. Glow plugs and cold starting absolutely along with CPS and fuel bowl heater shorts. Outside of that it purred like a kitten.
Sponsored