Sponsored

Fully Electric Maverick EV hint dropped by Ford??

BullyHayes

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Frontier Pro-4X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm actually really hopeful that an an all electric (or at least PHEV) Maverick appears in the next 3 years. Not buying any car for at least that long, but at that time that's what I'd like to drive.
Sponsored

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry I can not have a vehicle that requires more than 10 minutes to re-fuel for my next 400 mile drive. Around the city ok.

GT500

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500
No interest in purchasing an EV Maverick, put the 2.3L in it!

BMCGC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65/67 Mustang 22 Santa Cruz 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Lots of factual information, misinformation, speculation and opinion in this thread.

Here's my .02, most of my information comes off web searches.

The average one way commute to work is 16 miles. (FACT)

In September, the average new car cost was $45,031. (FACT)

Escape hybrid base MSRP is over 28k, plug-in MSRP is over 33k. (FACT)

Electricity cost is based on what your utility charges. (FACT)

I am on Flint Energy, a co-op. I pay 10.55 cents a KW, 24/7. No peak charges. (FACT)

The electrical grids ability to supply enough electricity to recharge thousands of EV's is based on the region you live in. (OPINION)

Sometime in the future, the current fuel tax will be scrapped as more EV's are sold and less ICE vehicles are on the road. (OPINION)

In our current situation, one EV with a 35 mile range will meet all of our daily driving needs. Anything beyond a "daily driving need" we can own a second vehicle, (hybrid or ICE) or rent a vehicle.

On long trips we usually rent. When we get home, our cars are in the garage, clean, full of gas and ready to go. We hand the keys back to Enterprise and say thank you. They clean off the bugs and dig the french fries out from under the seats, we go home and relax.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
On long trips we usually rent. When we get home, our cars are in the garage, clean, full of gas and ready to go. We hand the keys back to Enterprise and say thank you. They clean off the bugs and dig the french fries out from under the seats, we go home and relax.
So you pay, or at one time paid, a significant amount of your money for a depreciating asset designed solely to take you to places far and near. And when you go to far places, you leave this depreciating asset sitting in the garage and pay more of your hard earned money to rent an unfamiliar vehicle?

This seems completely pointless. A car is meant to be driven - that is literally its sole purpose. What are you doing, preserving the car for the next owner? We're about to put 4500 miles this month on our Genesis. We paid for it to enjoy it. I can't imagine paying more to rent a lesser car just to preserve it for no reason.

Sponsored

BMCGC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Mlowe05, your reply is the beauty of living in America.

We choose to rent for long trips because it is what we want.

We pay cash for everything. I have not paid interest or finance charges for over 10 years. Dropping $400 to rent a car for two weeks once or twice a year is chump change considering most people pay more than that for a car payment for 60-72-84 months.

Do you feel the need to be critical of the choices we make because our choices are not the same choices you make?

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We choose to rent for long trips because it is what we want.

We pay cash for everything. I have not paid interest or finance charges for over 10 years. Dropping $400 to rent a car for two weeks once or twice a year is chump change considering most people pay more than that for a car payment for 60-72-84 months.
I was simply trying to wrap my mind around the logic of it all. I don't really understand the idea that since you paid cash, that makes it different. Regardless of how you pay for a car, it will depreciate unless it is something special (like your Mustang, but not your Accord). It's not really any different than buying a separate stove to make a big meal on so you don't get your primary stove dirty.

But you are, of course, free to do anything you like - you know, America and all.

BMCGC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Next June we are leaving our home in Middle Georgia and driving to Denver.

What would we do if we are in the middle of nowhere Kansas and get in a wreck or have a breakdown? What I am going to do is call Enterprise and ask them to bring me another car.

We took a trip to Key West. Ever drive through Love Bugs? It's like throwing marbles at your car at 70 mph. They often damage paint. When we got home it looked like the rental lost a paintball fight, it was full of sand and french fries. I'm glad I didn't spend a weekend cleaning up that mess. The rental cost us $225 for the week.

It works for us, peace of mind and our cars stay new for as long as we own them.

PCL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline (stopped waiting on Maverick)
I hope it takes a few more years to launch a Maverick Lightning or Maverick Mach-E (Ford has to start consolidating that branding at some point, right?)... so that I don't regret buying my Maverick Hybrid.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Lots of factual information, misinformation, speculation and opinion in this thread.

Here's my .02, most of my information comes off web searches.

The average one way commute to work is 16 miles. (FACT)

In September, the average new car cost was $45,031. (FACT)

Escape hybrid base MSRP is over 28k, plug-in MSRP is over 33k. (FACT)

Electricity cost is based on what your utility charges. (FACT)

I am on Flint Energy, a co-op. I pay 10.55 cents a KW, 24/7. No peak charges. (FACT)

The electrical grids ability to supply enough electricity to recharge thousands of EV's is based on the region you live in. (OPINION)

Sometime in the future, the current fuel tax will be scrapped as more EV's are sold and less ICE vehicles are on the road. (OPINION)

In our current situation, one EV with a 35 mile range will meet all of our daily driving needs. Anything beyond a "daily driving need" we can own a second vehicle, (hybrid or ICE) or rent a vehicle.

I am on PEC electric co op in Texas. Overall rate can vary due in part by the amount used
1. Meter availability fee (charged because you may want service as if your solar panels don't have batteries or batteries run short etc) =22.50/mo.
2. $0.028405/KWH
3. $0.044500/KWH
4. $0.013560/KWH
5. $0.00700/KWH For 24 months to make up unexpected expenses incurred during ice storm and allowed bean counters to maintain figures needed to maintain best interest rates on any money borrowed. So my monthly works out to just under $0.1063 this month less any earned amount held and dispersed by bean counters. Amount varies but can receive $ annually for several years even after you move and no longer an active member.
In Texas DMV collects odometer milage at time of annual inspection. This allows them to track milage driven in all vehicles ice & elec. I expect in the near future the legislature will convert in whole or in part to a milage tax instead of gasoline tax. I believe it would have already happened but federal fuel tax is probably compounding issues.
EV would have to have about 120 mile range due to rural situation and keep me out of rental car except 6-8 times/year.

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I hope it takes a few more years to launch a Maverick Lightning or Maverick Mach-E (Ford has to start consolidating that branding at some point, right?)... so that I don't regret buying my Maverick Hybrid.
If the 2023 maverick EV launches with an 80 mile range I will jump on it and keep maverick hybrid as my Tripper vehicle.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
money sucking government will never stop collecting gas tax, but will surely add miles driven tax.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
money sucking government will never stop collecting gas tax, but will surely add miles driven tax.
I Believe the MSG will implement the milage tax for all, while keeping the gas tax plus adding a "carbon" tax to it and collecting the milage tax possibly daily as reported by your car and deducted from your government Issued and monitored cash free debit card.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This seems completely pointless. A car is meant to be driven - that is literally its sole purpose. What are you doing, preserving the car for the next owner? We're about to put 4500 miles this month on our Genesis. We paid for it to enjoy it. I can't imagine paying more to rent a lesser car just to preserve it for no reason.
I often rent cars for drive-intensive trips. When I go to visit family in Texas I usually end up putting about 2500 miles on the car in a week. Until COVID hit, if I planned ahead I was often able to rent a car for less than $200.

By renting, I get to put all that wear-and-tear on someone else's nearly new car, not mine. Plus... I get to try out a different kind of car now and then. It worked for me...
Sponsored