First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Focus
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Kia dealerships do that alot. Add paint and fabric protection and a list of other things. They tell you they do it to every car they sell. I walked out and went to another dealer that does not do this.

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Will do...

He said it's already on there and cannot be removed.
That's not your problem though. If my dealer installed something on my vehicle that I didn't ask for, I'm certainly not paying for it. Back in 2017, I negotiated sight unseen for a specific model/color/trim Toyota. I called 5 or 6 dealerships, told them what I was looking for, said I wasn't paying for other add-ons and that I'd buy it from the dealer with the best price. The best price vehicle had a bunch of extras that the sales person marked through on the invoice and subtracted from the price.

When I picked up the car, all of those extras were still there.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's not your problem though. If my dealer installed something on my vehicle that I didn't ask for, I'm certainly not paying for it. Back in 2017, I negotiated sight unseen for a specific model/color/trim Toyota. I called 5 or 6 dealerships, told them what I was looking for, said I wasn't paying for other add-ons and that I'd buy it from the dealer with the best price. The best price vehicle had a bunch of extras that the sales person marked through on the invoice and subtracted from the price.

When I picked up the car, all of those extras were still there.
The difference there is Toyota doesn't do custom orders. And the port companies that distribute them to the dealers are the ones who may install extra accessories (so they can charge the dealers more on invoice).

Rodeoman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0l Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Will do...

I had another dealer, tell me the same. My guess this is a ceramic coating and is thier way of making more cash. I was hustled into window eching and a insurance for a replacement key. What’s the weather the market if I didn’t pay somebody else would’ve

Sponsored

briandefilippo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Can you define surface care? Is this the classic undercoating that they used to scam with 20 years ago?

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The difference there is Toyota doesn't do custom orders. And the port companies that distribute them to the dealers are the ones who may install extra accessories (so they can charge the dealers more on invoice).
If the signed retail order doesn't include it, one could certainly refuse to pay for it. There are bait and switch laws in (probably) every state that address that very thing.

YazYaz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Buyer's order requires a VIN otherwise you are not agreeing on the sale of a specific vehicle. Most people don't have VINs that have an order or DORA because they are not scheduled for production yet.
Correct. A Buyers Order is not a Buyers Order without a VIN. You can use the correct form and have everyone sign it, but it aint no Buyers Order.

YazYaz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just heard back from the owner of the dealership...

"Gary, it is not mandatory. Sorry for misunderstanding. If you see the value in it you can purchase the package but otherwise it is NOT mandatory."
If you really believe this is going on at that dealership without the owner's knowledge and consent,
you're in denial. Sorry, but come on.

OP
OP
EMD_Driver

EMD_Driver

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-350 DRW 6.7 / 2022 Maverick XLT 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Disclosure, I am not a licensed attorney and this does not constitute legal advice. If it were me, I’d let the dealership owner know you’re trying to resolve this matter low key but you do know your rights under SC law and you have a lot of protections. Here’s a quick educational guide below from the FTC. You do get to choose which add ons if any you want to buy.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2020/07/ftc-announces-auto-buyers-study-reports

SC has robust consumer protections, link below.

https://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t39c005.php

Key items, SC adopts Federal Code, defined by the FTC via SECTION 39-5-20. Unfair methods of competition and unfair or deceptive acts or practices unlawful; application of interpretations of Federal act.

And SC has some pretty stiff penalties that a franchise owner would want to avoid.

SECTION 39-5-110. Civil penalties for willful violation or violations of injunction.

(a) If a court finds that any person is willfully using or has willfully used a method, act or practice declared unlawful by Section 39-5-20, the Attorney General, upon petition to the court, may recover on behalf of the State a civil penalty of not exceeding five thousand dollars per violation.

(b) Any person who violates the terms of an injunction issued under Section 39-5-50 shall forfeit and pay to the State a civil penalty of not more than fifteen thousand dollars per violation. For the purposes of this section, the court of common pleas issuing an injunction shall retain jurisdiction, and the cause shall be continued and in such cases the Attorney General acting in the name of the State may petition for recovery of civil penalties. Whenever the court determines that an injunction issued pursuant to Section 39-5-50 has been violated, the court shall award reasonable costs to the State.

(c) For the purposes of this section, a willful violation occurs when the party committing the violation knew or should have known that his conduct was a violation of Section 39-5-20.

HISTORY: 1962 Code Section 66-71.10; 1971 (57) 369.

SECTION 39-5-120. Dissolution, suspension or forfeiture of franchise or charter of corporation violating injunction.

Upon petition by the Attorney General, the court of common pleas may, for good cause shown, order the dissolution or suspension or forfeiture of any franchise or charter of any corporation which violates the terms of any injunction issued under Section 39-5-50.
I let them know all of this!

Sponsored
OP
OP
EMD_Driver

EMD_Driver

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-350 DRW 6.7 / 2022 Maverick XLT 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

If you really believe this is going on at that dealership without the owner's knowledge and consent,
you're in denial. Sorry, but come on.
Issue resolved!

This program was instituted by the general manager and is supposed to be "Disclosed" by each salesman. They cannot and do not force anyone to accept it. It turned out to be a mis-communication on my salesman's part and he apologized. I got the interior and exterior protectant for free and the $795 charge was removed from my invoice.

Problem solved!

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just got off the phone with my dealer and was told that Ford just started requiring Ford surface care for all new vehicles. He said that this just started within the last month. It's a $795 charge..

Anyone else hear of this?
Not No, but Hell NO!!

Ford does not support their dealers with rip-off scams.

That is one of those pad the the salesman’s pocket deals.

Think about it, is FOMOCO going to put out a protect that ’requires’ Surface Production that the dealer has to do and you have to pay for?

LowLeadAV

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Niro
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just got off the phone with my dealer and was told that Ford just started requiring Ford surface care for all new vehicles. He said that this just started within the last month. It's a $795 charge..

Anyone else hear of this?
They tried that with me and I said it’s clear you want me to go elsewhere. Long story short they took 1500 off of things they are “supposed to do on new vehicles”. I can wax, scotch guard and get my own wheel locks….

MattIngram

First Name
Deleteme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deleteme
They tried that with me and I said it’s clear you want me to go elsewhere. Long story short they took 1500 off of things they are “supposed to do on new vehicles”. I can wax, scotch hard and get my own wheel locks….
It’s starting to get really bad again. Dealers used to know where the line was, and yeah they’d dance right up to it with the hard sale but they wouldn’t cross it by calling an add-on mandatory. There were always bad apples but they were the exception, not the rule. That has definitely changed.

And unfortunately dealers have gotten themselves into a bind but it was of their own making by low balling trade-ins, getting greedy on interest rate rebates, lying about incentives and inflating fees to maximize profit on every deal. The consumer is not an idiot, they wake up the next day and know they got hit but not sure by how much. Turns out it’s probably on average about $5k/deal.

Consumers are getting smarter, doing sales to Carvana, effectively turning off the secondary markets and dealers are having to pay more at auction and now coming back with empty car haulers. I’ve even heard the scam commercial about a dealer being set up at the state fair to pay you cash for your vehicle, which is just a lowball by another name.

Ford’s getting smarter, realizing that maximizing output isn’t the way to go because they have to do incentives to clear out that inventory at a loss. And they’re getting a lot of excitement generated about ordering and customizing your ride, look no further than this forum or the Bronco, or the Bronco Sport, or Ranger, F150 forums.

Consumers are getting pre-approved at their banks. BofA will even give you an approval pin, easy peasy and lower rates if you have other products with them. And a smart consumer will check DMV fees to make sure they match up. And ask to see their incentives, including private offers.

And of course Elon Musk is an idiot that makes an inferior product, which is sometimes dangerous but he’s a genius at getting around the franchise model. And he is really showing other auto manufacturers that the direct sales model can be super profitable. Change is coming fast but the dealerships are stuck in the past and haven’t got the message yet.

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/the-future-of-car-shopping-fewer-dealerships-national-chains/

Last edited:

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Will do...

Take them to small claims court for damaging your paint...

I remember the 'coatings' dealers applied to new cars, charging hundreds of dollars extra. The 'protectant' was sold in tubes similar to toothpaste tubes for ~$20, and you could do a couple-three cars with one tube. But they wanted a couple hundred... Greedy creeps. Still doing whatever they can get away with. If you got 'nitrogen filled tires' for a hundred bucks, tell them to take it out and replace it with air(70% nitrogen...)
Sponsored