First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 STX, 2016 Ford Fiesta SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just got off the phone with my dealer and was told that Ford just started requiring Ford surface care for all new vehicles. He said that this just started within the last month. It's a $795 charge..

Anyone else hear of this?
I’m sure we need that and when I purchase it I’ll get a New Finnegan Pin too;). What freaking jerks some of these dealers are. Don’t put up with that crap!!!!!

Mainer500

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 STX, 2016 Ford Fiesta SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is 100% not Ford... I've already confirmed that. I know the dealership owner personally and have already reached out to them. I will follow up with what I find out.

Since I know the owner, I trusted that this wouldn't be an issue.
Someone once said “Trust but verify” I live by the Mantra of “Distrust till proven wrong, each and every time.”

olie64

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Order maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks, but I already have one. And a fully signed buyer's order.

As I said, I'm just trying to nail down what paperwork is sufficient to force a dealer's hand. It's been talked about a lot on this forum but a bit more data wouldn't hurt and might help people going forward.

Do you have any info related to that question?
Honestly i was being a smartass.

But i would guess a buyers order is what you need. I have a signed order sheet with what im paying because of the discount I get and if they dont honor it i can get in contact quick with the owner so dealership.

jbpoole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Engine
Undecided
I just got off the phone with my dealer and was told that Ford just started requiring Ford surface care for all new vehicles. He said that this just started within the last month. It's a $795 charge..

I'm told that a local Ford dealer charges the following as "mandatory" items:
First place finish 795.00
Synchronize at 699.00
Secure Etch 299.00

I imagine most buyers just go along with it because it's "mandatory."

Sponsored

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
But i would guess a buyers order is what you need.
That would be my guess too (as I have written elsewhere).

But I was thinking that by now (or maybe soon) quite a few folks will have picked up their trucks and either been successful in getting the price they were quoted... or not.

I'm hoping some of those folks will weigh in and tell us what happened. Particularly the ones who got a surprise price increase and then either did or didn't manage to get it removed.

V2WIN

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I can't tell you how much I like & want the truck I ordered, BUT I will walk out on dealer B.S. If Ford allows this crap they can forget their order & hope plans. I'll find a older Chevy truck & put a ls in it with updated suspension, brakes & be thousands ahead. Low mileage ls can be bought for $1000 or less. Ford better hope they can control their greedy dealers. The whole order no inventory plan goes if not.

Fx4hOok

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2.0 FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Stealership. Hate going there lol

xXChartmanXx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F150 Lariat Powerboost, 2021 VW ID.4
The only things you are required to pay for is the car with all standard equipment assigned by the manufacturer (And if it is a requirement it has to be on the sticker). Federal and state regulations can require certain other items like emission things (again, these have to be on the sticker). If you order a car/truck you do not have to order options you do not want, whether they are dealer/manufacturer installed options and if any dealer tries to tell you that you must, walk away. If you sign an order and they try and add it afterwards, you can get an attorney involved as that is not legal.

The only way this is legal is a stock order for the lot where they have it on every car on the lot as a built in profit margin beyond their holdback money. If they ordered it, they can decide the options.

Deleted member 6544

Thanks OP. I'll be on the lookout for this nonsense although I don't think the dealer I'm with will do such things.

Sponsored
OP
OP
EMD_Driver

EMD_Driver

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-350 DRW 6.7 / 2022 Maverick XLT 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I did some more looking and found that this isn't just a extended warranty, it's also a surface protectant that is applied to the exterior and interior surfaces.

I sure hope they didn't apply it without my asking.

TSAINTS1115

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I did some more looking and found that this isn't just a extended warranty, it's also a surface protectant that is applied to the exterior and interior surfaces.

I sure hope they didn't apply it without my asking.
If they did you got it for free.

And in the theme of your thread this is why I walked from the original dealer I ordered from and bought off the lot from a reputable dealer.

801Mav

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Golf VW Alltrack
I would love to hear the dealership’s explanation lol.

If they have a dealer stock ordered vehicle, yes they can spray some stuff on the seats and add a door protection film and charge you since it’s already on “their” vehicle. If you retail order there is absolutely no reason for them to do it unless you agree to it… otherwise it’s a gross scammy move.

My dealer rep was cool and told me about their $700 protection package but confirmed if I didn’t want it they wouldn’t do it. Then the finance guy I talked with while putting in the official order tried to convince me it wasn’t optional. Sheissty.
My dealer
I'm told that a local Ford dealer charges the following as "mandatory" items:
First place finish 795.00
Synchronize at 699.00
Secure Etch 299.00

I imagine most buyers just go along with it because it's "mandatory."
My dealer said the security etch was mandatory. I wouldn't drive to their lot until they said they would take it off. It delayed my pickup by a few days.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I see lots of variations on the theme "The dealer better not try that on me or I'll walk out of there."

Really? That's the plan?

You walk out and (1) you lose the value of your deal and all the time you've waited, and (2) the dealer comes out thousands ahead reselling your truck.

That'll teach that dealer a thing or too, right?

Here's a different plan. Just go down and tell the dealer you want to sign a contract (Buyer's Order) laying out the original terms, like should have been done when you first ordered.

If they will, then no more worries. If they won't, then you know that there is at least a potential problem.

And maybe you can find a way to work with Ford (pre-delivery) to at least threaten to cancel the order and prevent delivery. (Warning: No one has done that yet that I know of.)

Last edited:

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks like you are ready to pick up your first Mav based on your signature. Sounds like your dealer is trying to skate in some extra profit on their end right before you pick it up. Call Ford Customer Care and confirm (which I'm sure they'll be clueless as to what you're talking about), go to your dealer and let them know you spoke to Ford and they know nothing of this sham, slap down your DORA and let em know that's what you agreed to and not a penny more.
I have a email confirmation from my dealer that they will not have any ADM above MSRP but I'm still trying to get a order confirmation agreement, Just to double cover my ass so I don't get any surprises when and if I ever get my hybrid
Sponsored