First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yup, this is a great state to purchase a car and it's only getting worse. For grins, listen to or read Earl Stewart on Cars Mystery Shopping reports. They send buyers into South Florida Dealerships based upon advertising and many times get hit with high fees, dealer add ons, etc....
Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
From my fairly recent experience buying a new Ford (F-150) in 2018- there's absolutely no need to buy the extended warranty at same time as vehicle purchase. Ford itself starts sending you mailers about extending the warranty maybe 6 mos after purchase. They keep sending them approximately every 6 months with information on your current standard warranty remaining and end date and options for a couple different levels of plans. No hard sell or intimidation or lies, just useful info FROM FORD, NOT a 3rd party. There's always been a school of thought that you get a better deal if you don't wait, but I haven't found that to be true as long as you purchase before the standard warranty expires. In my case I took the Ford offer letter to my sales rep before the 3/36 was to expire and he asked if we had any problems so far (none) and reminded me the Powertrain warranty actually covered 5yrs/60k miles- and that is where the majority of big ticket repair/replacement items are.

Bottom line, we let the deadline for 3/36 pass with no issues, and Ford STILL sends me offers to extend my FORD warranty and we know the vehicle well enough now for reliability and will just deal with it shortly before the 5/60 is going to expire.

YMMV

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
From my fairly recent experience buying a new Ford (F-150) in 2018- there's absolutely no need to buy the extended warranty at same time as vehicle purchase. Ford itself starts sending you mailers about extending the warranty maybe 6 mos after purchase. They keep sending them approximately every 6 months with information on your current standard warranty remaining and end date and options for a couple different levels of plans. No hard sell or intimidation or lies, just useful info FROM FORD, NOT a 3rd party. There's always been a school of thought that you get a better deal if you don't wait, but I haven't found that to be true as long as you purchase before the standard warranty expires. In my case I took the Ford offer letter to my sales rep before the 3/36 was to expire and he asked if we had any problems so far (none) and reminded me the Powertrain warranty actually covered 5yrs/60k miles- and that is where the majority of big ticket repair/replacement items are.

Bottom line, we let the deadline for 3/36 pass with no issues, and Ford STILL sends me offers to extend my FORD warranty and we know the vehicle well enough now for reliability and will just deal with it shortly before the 5/60 is going to expire.

YMMV
Usually the warranty cost is less when you purchase early. It would be interesting to calculate the difference between early purchase and the cost of what Ford was offering after 3 years.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Usually the warranty cost is less when you purchase early. It would be interesting to calculate the difference between early purchase and the cost of what Ford was offering after 3 years.
That was the conventional wisdom... I purchased extended warranty from MOPAR 2 consecutive times on my Jeep and pricing was always the same as long as you extended before original ran out. I've gone on-line to get a Ford quote for the F-150 and asked my local sales rep and he told me there's no reason to buy early. Remember, the original warranty is bumper to bumper with no deductible. Extended or 3rd party always have a deductible. The average buyer should have a really good feel for the reliability of the vehicle within 3 years and most catastrophic failures happen in that time. If you have no problems but want peace of mind, extend the warranty towards the end of your original. Some people recommended "self warranty" of putting away $ exclusively for later repairs which also is good for peace of mind in the future. If the vehicle is unreliable and needs repairs from the start- sell it or trade it before 3 years, 36 months runs out (y)

Sponsored

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
That was the conventional wisdom... I purchased extended warranty from MOPAR 2 consecutive times on my Jeep and pricing was always the same as long as you extended before original ran out. I've gone on-line to get a Ford quote for the F-150 and asked my local sales rep and he told me there's no reason to buy early. Remember, the original warranty is bumper to bumper with no deductible. Extended or 3rd party always have a deductible. The average buyer should have a really good feel for the reliability of the vehicle within 3 years and most catastrophic failures happen in that time. If you have no problems but want peace of mind, extend the warranty towards the end of your original. Some people recommended "self warranty" of putting away $ exclusively for later repairs which also is good for peace of mind in the future. If the vehicle is unreliable and needs repairs from the start- sell it or trade it before 3 years, 36 months runs out (y)
You certainly don't have to do it at the time of purchase and there's not a HUGE difference but there ABSOLUTELY IS increased cost if you wait. Playing around with Flood Ford's ESP calculator and comparing a 2020 Escape with zero miles vs one with 35,000 miles and looking at a $0 deductible, 6 year/100k mile ESP jumps the base price from $1,560 to $1,660. Again, not insurmountable but definitely noticeable. Also, as highlighted here, you also CAN get an extended warranty without a deductible.

Of course, those price increases scale as you get further away from new. So, in the example above, the price is exactly the same at 0 miles as it is at 10k miles. I believe the prices start increasing in this example at around 12k-13k miles.

Last edited:

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You certainly don't have to do it at the time of purchase and there's not a HUGE difference but there ABSOLUTELY IS increased cost if you wait. Playing around with Flood Ford's ESP calculator and comparing a 2020 Escape with zero miles vs one with 35,000 miles and looking at a $0 deductible, 6 year/100k mile ESP jumps the base price from $1,560 to $1,660. Again, not insurmountable but definitely noticeable. Also, as highlighted here, you also CAN get an extended warranty without a deductible.

Of course, those price increases scale as you get further away from new. So, in the example above, the price is exactly the same at 0 miles as it is at 10k miles. I believe the prices start increasing in this example at around 12k-13k miles.
Who buys a warranty with NO deductible? Never heard of such a thing- and you certainly would pay extra for that. When we bought our RV many years ago, we added a 7 yrs/ 70K mi Platinum Warranty with deductible which was included in purchase price. I'd guess most people add them that way? So, in your example there's exactly a $100.00 penalty for using up most of your FREE warranty before deciding if there's any real reason to extend it based on your time with the vehicle- BUT you already paid (financed?) $1560.00 for the privilige of using your free standard warranty? In that scenario, I'll take that $100 penalty 24/7, 365

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
Who buys a warranty with NO deductible? Never heard of such a thing- and you certainly would pay extra for that. When we bought our RV many years ago, we added a 7 yrs/ 70K mi Platinum Warranty with deductible which was included in purchase price. I'd guess most people add them that way? So, in your example there's exactly a $100.00 penalty for using up most of your FREE warranty before deciding if there's any real reason to extend it based on your time with the vehicle- BUT you already paid (financed?) $1560.00 for the privilige of using your free standard warranty? In that scenario, I'll take that $100 penalty 24/7, 365
I'm not arguing for or against anything, I was just letting others know that when you said that there is no penalty for waiting and that all extended warranties have a deductible, you were mistaken on both points.
And to correct you again, no, my example had nothing to do with the ESP being financed in or not, it ONLY addressed the two points above that you'd misspoken on; comparing a purchase at time of sale to a purchase further down the road but before the base warranty expired.

I actually agree with your overall point to a degree. If I deem a warranty to be necessary, I don't finance it and I only get it at time of purchase if the dealer will beat the best online price I can find, although I've always been able to get them to match that. But my last response had nothing to do with those topics.

TooManyVehicles

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 XLT, 21 BS Badlands, 22 Mav Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You are missing the point. Fords ESP pricing goes up by $100 after the vehicle reaches the 12 month point. This is regardless of the deductible chosen, and has been discussed numerous times on the F150 forums.

To all out there who are considering an extended service plan. Places like Ziegler, Flood, are legit and are usually a lot cheaper than doing this at a dealer.

To the Florida folks, Zeigler is licensed for Florida: https://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/default.aspx, so is an alternative to buying from a local dealer.

I have a 6 yr/100K ESP on my F150, bought on-line just before the 12 month period ends. As has been noted, the basic warranty is 3/36K (longer on certain components), so I essentially bought service for 3 additional years (and 64k miles).

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
Don't finance a warranty, and if you are smart take the money for the warranty and invest it, knowing you will need it eventually. Insurance hasa great markup, for the dealer. Muslims often consider it gambling, but as someone whose stepdad was in the re-insurance business for decades once he left the Corps, yes, insurance is a great moneymaker for the insurance company.

Sponsored

Fakegrownup

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Ecoboost AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I know this is a bit off topic, but be careful how you pay for the extended warranty and gap insurance. I have a close friend who is dealing with a lot of nonsense because he bought it all through a dealership and financed it all. He got a loan through a local credit union and bought an SUV, gap insurance, and extended warranty through a local dealership (not Ford). Last fall, he was in an accident that totaled his SUV. His insurance company paid for the remaining value of the SUV and sent a check to the credit union. He was still upside down by about $5,000. The gap insurance company refused to pay the difference until he received reimbursement from the warranty company for the remainder of the warranty and refused to start the process for that reimbursement until the dealership requested it. And the dealership refused to do so. Now he's being sued by the credit union for the remaining balance on his loan.

As far as I can tell, the best way to avoid all of this is to a.) pay cash for the extended warranty as a separate transaction and b.) get the gap insurance through your regular insurance company.
if you get gap through your insurance company (and have to use it) you get hit with the surcharge for 2 major claims in 1 year. Your rates skyrocket. Gap is something you actually should get through the dealer.

as-for your friend's case, that is messed up. I don't know about the insurance laws in your state, but I'd get a good insurance lawyer stat.

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
After a lot of thinking, I believe I'll pass on the Extended Warranty. But I am considering the Maintenance Program. At 67 (will be when truck arrives) I don't climb under things too good anymore. And I know zero about electronics and how to fix them when they break. So I'm considering the maintenance plan for sure.

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
After a lot of thinking, I believe I'll pass on the Extended Warranty. But I am considering the Maintenance Program. At 67 (will be when truck arrives) I don't climb under things too good anymore. And I know zero about electronics and how to fix them when they break. So I'm considering the maintenance plan for sure.
I'd be curious to know how much it ends up running. Last time I bought new, I looked into one and it wasn't nearly worth it in my estimation. The years have been hard on me too, so I'm done doing it myself, but finding a reputable, local shop to do my work made a TON more financial sense to me at the time, based on cost/coverage.

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
I'd be curious to know how much it ends up running. Last time I bought new, I looked into one and it wasn't nearly worth it in my estimation. The years have been hard on me too, so I'm done doing it myself, but finding a reputable, local shop to do my work made a TON more financial sense to me at the time, based on cost/coverage.
https://www.floodfordesp.com/

I think the rates are great... I'm looking at this truck as a long-term buy , but I only put on about 5-6,000 miles a year on a vehicle. So the length of the warranty means more to me These plans go up to 8 years in 8 years I might put on 50,000 so me its peace of mind for 8 years or until I'm 72 years old......... I should know if this will be reliable after that 8 years or I dump it for an all Elec truck ?
No I am going to spend the $800 for the peace of mind :)
Sponsored