First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wanted to make this thread because I figured there are a lot of people looking at both vehicles since there is a lot of overlap between the two vehicles. Even though one is a crossover and the other is a "non traditional" pickup truck (yeah that's what I'll call it lol), they are both marketed as practical daily driving vehicles with extra utility and offroad capabilities above what typical crossovers offer, and plus they are priced competitively and offer a lot of similar features despite the drastically different body appearance. I'm sure there are a lot of others like myself who are between the two of them

So just to give a little backstory, the Subaru Crosstrek was a car I had my eyes on for years as my first choice for an upgrade when the time came to get a new vehicle. I was looking for something with good gas mileage, comfortable to drive, affordable, reliable, and more utility than your standard crossover (super demanding I know lol) specifically something capable of handling she snow as well as the local beaches on Long Island where I live and the Crosstrek Sport hit all those marks for me.

When Ford unveiled the Maverick and I started looking into what they were offering with them, it was a no brainer and I immediately fell in love with it. I found a dealer that had one in stock that a customer had backed out of and I was very close to pulling the trigger, but it had a $1500 markup and also some options I didn't want (what a great deal considering the circumstance and I regret not taking it at the time) I ended up ordering one in November 2021 but I had already sold my other vehicles thinking I was going to buy that one so I was car-less (oops 😅)

Finally in March of 2022 still with no car and with no sign of it being built, I decided to go to a local Subaru dealer to see if my (now second) choice for a vehicle happened to be available. Like most dealers they were asking for above sticker price on all of their vehicles but offered to order one and get for sticker price. My dealer had also advised me that she ordered the exact Crosstrek I was looking at for someone else and it took about 6 weeks to arrive at the dealer so I decided to take a chance, and behold I ended up having a brand new Crosstrek Sport in about 7 weeks. Take notes Ford

I had my Crosstrek for about 6000 miles before I got the call that my Mav had arrived at the dealership, they offered me what I paid for the Crosstrek out the door and I finally ended up getting the Maverick in November 2022. The Crosstrek Sport is another super desirable car so I had no worries about being able to resell it if I wanted to get the Maverick when it came it, So I basically rented a Crosstrek for free for 6 months

I wanted to put some miles on the Maverick so I can get a full comparison and I now have about 2400 miles so I feel like I can now comfortably make a comparison

So I will start with the Subaru. The exact model I ordered was a Crosstrek Sport with 3 options: the trailer hitch, remote start, and the crossbars. (I consider this trim along with the limited to be the closest competition to the Maverick) The reason I wanted the Sport trim is because this is the lowest level trim that offers the upgraded engine to the 2.5L boxer engine which is the same one that's in the Forester and Outback. It's a proven engine that's been around for a very long time and it also has 182 HP Vs the 152 HP that the lower trims have which was the biggest complaint of earlier Crosstreks. The extra power alone makes the upgraded trim worth it if you plan on doing any light offroading and foul weather driving, or if you just want extra power for general merging and pickup. The sport trim also comes with some extra features like Subaru's X mode and StarTex weatherproof (fake leather) seats, hill descent control etc and a few other minor things. This Crosstrek also came equipped with EyeSight with I believe is Subaru's version of the CP360 Package which has things like adaptive Cruise Control, lane keep assist, adaptive breaking/throttle etc. I drove this exact car for about 6k miles between May 2022-Nov 2022

Ford Maverick Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost 2.0 vs. Subaru Crosstrek Sport 2.5 Back to Back Comparison (With Pictures) 310511473_8461689040538190_8964045526680929238_n
Ford Maverick Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost 2.0 vs. Subaru Crosstrek Sport 2.5 Back to Back Comparison (With Pictures) 311022001_5712397918820829_8211384017798310627_n
Ford Maverick Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost 2.0 vs. Subaru Crosstrek Sport 2.5 Back to Back Comparison (With Pictures) 310996022_5892582240773921_8173351817581548405_n
Ford Maverick Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost 2.0 vs. Subaru Crosstrek Sport 2.5 Back to Back Comparison (With Pictures) 310544061_5062721447166928_5659425261059330711_n
Ford Maverick Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost 2.0 vs. Subaru Crosstrek Sport 2.5 Back to Back Comparison (With Pictures) 310253825_5435934869788623_974870396413965189_n

Ford Maverick Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost 2.0 vs. Subaru Crosstrek Sport 2.5 Back to Back Comparison (With Pictures) IMG_0556.JPG

The Maverick I ordered was an XLT Ecoboost with the 4k tow package, fx4 package, Luxury package, and rear sliding window. The XLT is the best value for the money for what it offers imo, The Lariat is nice but once you start getting above the 32-33k mark it defeats the purpose of getting a "small & cheap" pickup truck but that's just my personal opinion. I'm not going to go super in depth as to what this Maverick offers considering I'm on a Maverick form and most people probably already know what this is 😂. I will say though if I had to make one change to my order I would have gotten the CP360 package, I ended up not getting it just to try and cut down on the constrained options to get it sooner but that didn't work out very well lol. Currently at 2.4k miles

Ford Maverick Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost 2.0 vs. Subaru Crosstrek Sport 2.5 Back to Back Comparison (With Pictures) IMG_9809.JPG
Ford Maverick Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost 2.0 vs. Subaru Crosstrek Sport 2.5 Back to Back Comparison (With Pictures) IMG_9810.JPG
Ford Maverick Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost 2.0 vs. Subaru Crosstrek Sport 2.5 Back to Back Comparison (With Pictures) IMG_9813.JPG
Ford Maverick Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost 2.0 vs. Subaru Crosstrek Sport 2.5 Back to Back Comparison (With Pictures) IMG_9815.JPG
Ford Maverick Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost 2.0 vs. Subaru Crosstrek Sport 2.5 Back to Back Comparison (With Pictures) IMG_0557.JPG

So first thing I will say is I love both of these cars and wish I could have kept both of them. They had their own unique perks that I liked but unfortunately it just didn't make sense to have two similar vehicles.

The first area I'll talk about is the overall quality and interior. I have some concerns about the overall longevity and quality control of the Maverick just because it's a newer vehicle but it didn't worry me too much to put me off from getting one. The Subaru 100% felt more refined and a notch up in quality from the Maverick interior. Everything felt really solid and the materials just felt higher quality in general. The buttons and switches also felt a little more sturdy whereas the Maverick buttons for the temp control/heated seats feel slightly lower quality and a little more flimsy. The Subaru also used softer plastics and more soft touch materials in certain areas and also had keyless entry and push button start which were two things I liked and wish I had but not a dealbreaker for me.

I am not a huge fan of leather seats because they don't breathe as well and really show their wear and tear over time but I found myself really liking the star tex seats in the Subaru, they aren't real leather but they felt super high quality and have all the same perks as leather seats without the downsides. They breathed well and you can tell that they weren't going to wear or crack over time like traditional leather. I even spilled an entire cup of coffee on my passenger seat the night before I traded it in which sat there for over 20 mins and literally pooled up into a puddle on the seat (don't tell my dealer) but cleaned up so easily with just some towels that you couldn't even notice it. This is the first time I actually wish more cars offered fake leather seats like this.

As for the Maverick, I felt like Ford did a better job working with what they had to put together a unique and overall good looking interior for using lower quality materials. I love the orange accents in the cab and the "jeans" colored cloth they used for the seats as well as the orange stitching. The Subaru was nice with the gray/black/yellow stitching as well but felt more typical and "bland" which to be honest is not necessarily a bad thing, I felt like they took the safe route vs Ford trying to break the mold a little bit. If you took the badges out of both cars you can easily tell the Maverick vs the Subaru which you can easily confuse with any other japanses automaker. The Maverick also feels more rigid and durable with its hard plastics and more like a truck where the Subaru feels more like a car. One thing I was a little disappointed about with the Subaru is lack of power seats, for being almost 30k I would figure it would at least be an option but I guess not.

Believe it or not the Maverick feels like it has more interior room between the front and back seat. I feel like I have more leg room and more like I'm actually driving in a larger vehicle whereas the Crosstrek feels more like I'm driving in a smaller vehicle despite them being roughly the same size. I also feel like I'm sitting more upright and in a more comfortable posture in the Maverick, but I never had any issues feeling like I was uncomfortable in the Subaru either. I'm a smaller guy, only 5'9 apx 160 lbs so maybe this becomes an issue with larger individuals. there is also a ton more storage space built into the cabin of the Mav. The backseat has an enormous amount of room under the seats that the Subaru doesn't have. This is a really big selling point for me since I can keep all my beach equipment under the rear seats and have room to spare where when I had the Subaru I had to keep them in a tote in the trunk which took up space, either that or I'd have to take it out and put it in as I needed it. Overall I like them both for their own reasons but I probably slightly prefer the Maverick interior because it fits more of my needs for what I do, not necessarily because one is better than the other.

For the radio and infotainment system, the Subaru was better which isn't really saying much. They are both pretty basic but the Maverick is literally barebones and designed for apple carplay an android auto. It is also glitchy but overall it gets the job done. this is one area where I'm a simple guy and don't really care about bells and whistles. as long as my radio works and I can plug my phone in I'm good. One other thing to note is the Subaru has no usb-c ports which are a nice thing to have for a quick charge. It feels like the Subaru is a more refined system that is a few years behind if that makes sense.

The Maverick has the 2.0 Ecoboost AWD with 250HP combined and the 8 speed automatic transmission and the Crosstrek has the 2.5 Boxer AWD with 182HP and the CVT transmission. Overall the maverick is more powerful but for such a large gap in Horsepower it didn't feel as large as you would expect. I'm not sure if there is a substantial weight difference, or maybe the tow package on the Maverick, or difference in transmission, but maybe one of them had something to do with it? Regardless neither are putting you in the back of your seat but both feel like they have enough power for what you're paying and the class of vehicle they are. one thing to note is the gas mileage, even though the 2.5 advertises better overall mpg, it is a hog when you go above 65-70 mph and I felt like I got overall less mpg then advertised where the Mav I'm finding that I'm getting better mpg then advertised and consistently getting 32-34 on the highway and 25-26 combined

The turbo on the EB had me a little sketched out at first since I never had a turbo engine before and the earlier version of the engine were really bad, but it does not appear to be a major concern with the modern ones as long as you keep up with the maintenance. Both the 2.5 boxer engine and the 2.0 Ecoboost have been around for a long time and the general consensus from what I've read is that they are both reliable as long as you don't abuse them. The Ecoboost is definitely noisier and much more whiny whereas the 2.5 is smoother and less clunky feeling but this could just be due to the lack of sound dampening in the engine bay and the turbo. Not a huge concern for me considering the price point but something to take into consideration.

As for the transmission, people really like to knock the CVT in the Subaru and this is probably biggest knock that people have with the Crosstrek. I never had any major gripes about it but supposedly the maintenance and longevity is a concern and people in the Subaru community highly recommended to be serviced every 60-70k miles even though Subaru doesn't have it in their required maintenance schedule. I guess this is a question more for people who have a lot of miles on a Subaru CVT. As for the 8 speed on the Maverick It's exactly what you would expect, nothing special but gets the job done. I've never noticed any wonky shifting or anything like that. The Subaru is definitely more refined and is a smoother ride but it isn't a honda vs mercedes level of difference here. The Subaru is more car-y and the Mav is more truck like but relative to each other. The mav feels more like a crossover than a truck and the subaru feels more like a car-crossover hybrid. The Maverick also feels a lot bigger to drive even though they are relatively the same size, I think it's because of the bed and the boxier hood

The Subaru X mode is comparable to the drive modes of the FX4 package. X mode has "snow & dirt" and "deep snow & mud" I have yet to take my Maverick offroad in the sand where I am, but the Subaru handled it perfectly after the tires were aired down in Deep Snow & Mud. It did not hesitate at all and this is where that extra 30 HP makes a big difference. The one time I drove my Maverick in foul weather was during a snowfall in Pennsylvania where the roads were super icy and there were accidents all over the place. I put it in Slippery mode and slowly cruised home for a few hours without any issues at all on route 80 and I have no doubt the Subaru would have been just as good as the Maverick in this situation. I'm waiting to get my beach pass in the mail to test out the Maverick in the sand but I will update once I am able to, but from what I've seen is that they handle great in the sand when properly aired down and with the right equipment. For 99% of situations both are probably going to do everything you need them to and this is probably one area where I'd not worry about if one is better then the other. They both also have the same ground clearance and skid plates for the 1% of times you may need them. Another thing of note, but the Maverick comes with LED headlamps where the Subaru comes with regular halogen headlamps which is another cost cutting feature that I feel Subaru should have included for this price point. It definitely makes a difference when driving offroad with no lights or in foul weather.

The biggest area where the Maverick trounces the Subaru and the biggest reason for me choosing is it's utility. Having the bed and 4k towing capability is something no one else offers for the price point minus maybe the santa cruz, and will be an absolute deal breaker for some people. I've used it for things that I would never have thought I would have needed it for like hauling a picnic bench, a couch, stones around my yard, large amounts of luggage etc. You don't realize the usefulness of a bed until you actually have one, and without compromising cabin space is a huge perk. The Subaru having the hatchback and being able to lock everything inside the cabin out of the weather without having to buy a cap or tonneau cover is nice but does not outweigh the overall utility of the bed. Not to mention the 4k tow package allowing me to tow a trailer, small boat, jet skis, etc if I ever decide in the future. The Maverick also offers a 2" hitch vs the 1 1/4" offered on the Subaru. To be fair the Subaru isn't towing anything and it's mostly just for accessories but I've found some accessories only have a 2" option. The fact that Ford offers so much in such a cheap package still blows my mind. I have people asking me all the time about it and how they can get one.

I can't really speak much about this aspect since I don't have the CP360 package but the Eyesight from Subaru seems to be a more advanced system from what I read and I regret not getting the 360 package with lane keeping.

I think that overall they both have their own benefits and I would be perfectly happy with either one of them, but despite my concerns with the quality and longevity of the Maverick I still prefer the utility of the Maverick. If I were looking for a vehicle that I wanted to use solely for commuting and for occasional bad weather driving I think I may prefer the subaru but in the grand scheme of things the Maverick is such a good value for what it does that It far outweights any other aspect.

I tried to cover as much as I could remember, if anyone has any questions that I didn't address feel free to ask and I can answer them.

TL;DR

SUBARU:

-Nicer Materials
-More refined
-Drives a little better, more like a car
-Less concern about longevity
-Quieter engine
-Slightly more tech
-Would prefer as a strict daily driver

Maverick
-Much More utility
-Much more space
-Better styling
-Drives more like a crossover
-More Power
-Overall better value for the $
-Better suits my needs as a "do everything" vehicle

Ford Maverick Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost 2.0 vs. Subaru Crosstrek Sport 2.5 Back to Back Comparison (With Pictures) IMG_9814.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ragtime Billy Peaches

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 f250 Crew Diesel 4x4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Excellent,,, i ordered a Crosstrek a month after ordering my Maverick, (sept 16) because i wanted a pland B. A week after ordering the Subaru i got scheduled for the maverick. Crosstrek arrived in 45 days from Japan the same day my Mav was built. I passed on the Subaru Crosstek sport because the Mav is a Cartruk which i need. I would not hesitate to buy a Crosstrek sport in the future.

Bill Quattlebaum

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Ranger XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wanted to make this thread because I figured there are a lot of people looking at both vehicles since there is a lot of overlap between the two vehicles, plus they are priced competitively and offer a lot of similar features.

So just to give a little backstory, the Subaru Crosstrek was a car I had my eyes on for years as my first choice for an upgrade when the time came to get a new vehicle. I was looking for something with good gas mileage, comfortable to drive, affordable, reliable, and more utility than your standard crossover (super demanding I know lol) specifically something capable of handling she snow as well as the local beaches on Long Island where I live and the Crosstrek Sport hit all those marks for me.

When Ford unveiled the Maverick and I started looking into what they were offering with them, it was a no brainer and I immediately fell in love with it. I found a dealer that had one in stock that a customer had backed out of and I was very close to pulling the trigger, but it had a $1500 markup and also some options I didn't want (what a great deal considering the circumstance and I regret not taking it at the time) I ended up ordering one in November 2021 but I had already sold my other vehicles thinking I was going to buy that one so I was car-less (oops 😅)

Finally in March of 2022 still with no car and with no sign of it being built, I decided to go to a local Subaru dealer to see if my (now second) choice for a vehicle happened to be available. Like most dealers they were asking for above sticker price on all of their vehicles but offered to order one and get for sticker price. My dealer had also advised me that she ordered the exact Crosstrek I was looking at for someone else and it took about 6 weeks to arrive at the dealer so I decided to take a chance, and behold I ended up having a brand new Crosstrek Sport in about 7 weeks. Take notes Ford

I had my Crosstrek for about 6000 miles before I got the call that my Mav had arrived at the dealership, they offered me what I paid for the Crosstrek out the door and I finally ended up getting the Maverick in November 2022. The Crosstrek Sport is another super desirable car so I had no worries about being able to resell it if I wanted to get the Maverick when it came it, So I basically rented a Crosstrek for free for 6 months

I wanted to put some miles on the Maverick so I can get a full comparison and I now have about 2400 miles so I feel like I can now comfortably make a comparison

So I will start with the Subaru. The exact model I ordered was a Crosstrek Sport with 3 options: the trailer hitch, remote start, and the crossbars. (I consider this trim along with the limited to be the closest competition to the Maverick) The reason I wanted the Sport trim is because this is the lowest level trim that offers the upgraded engine to the 2.5L boxer engine which is the same one that's in the Forester and Outback. It's a proven engine that's been around for a very long time and it also has 182 HP Vs the 152 HP that the lower trims have which was the biggest complaint of earlier Crosstreks. The extra power alone makes the upgraded trim worth it if you plan on doing any light offroading and foul weather driving, or if you just want extra power for general merging and pickup. The sport trim also comes with some extra features like Subaru's X mode and StarTex weatherproof (fake leather) seats, hill descent control etc and a few other minor things. This Crosstrek also came equipped with EyeSight with I believe is Subaru's version of the CP360 Package which has things like adaptive Cruise Control, lane keep assist, adaptive breaking/throttle etc. I drove this exact car for about 6k miles between May 2022-Nov 2022

310511473_8461689040538190_8964045526680929238_n.jpg
311022001_5712397918820829_8211384017798310627_n.jpg
310996022_5892582240773921_8173351817581548405_n.jpg
310544061_5062721447166928_5659425261059330711_n.jpg
310253825_5435934869788623_974870396413965189_n.jpg

IMG_0556.JPG

The Maverick I ordered was an XLT Ecoboost with the 4k tow package, fx4 package, Luxury package, and rear sliding window. The XLT is the best value for the money for what it offers imo, The Lariat is nice but once you start getting above the 32-33k mark it defeats the purpose of getting a "small & cheap" pickup truck but that's just my personal opinion. I'm not going to go super in depth as to what this Maverick offers considering I'm on a Maverick form and most people probably already know what this is 😂. I will say though if I had to make one change to my order I would have gotten the CP360 package, I ended up not getting it just to try and cut down on the constrained options to get it sooner but that didn't work out very well lol. Currently at 2.4k miles

IMG_9809.JPG
IMG_9810.JPG
IMG_9813.JPG
IMG_9815.JPG
IMG_0557.JPG

So first thing I will say is I love both of these cars and wish I could have kept both of them. They had their own unique perks that I liked but unfortunately it just didn't make sense to have two similar vehicles.

The first area I'll talk about is the overall quality and interior. I have some concerns about the overall longevity and quality control of the Maverick just because it's a newer vehicle but it didn't worry me too much to put me off from getting one. The Subaru 100% felt more refined and a notch up in quality from the Maverick interior. Everything felt really solid and the materials just felt higher quality in general. The buttons and switches also felt a little more sturdy whereas the Maverick buttons for the temp control/heated seats feel slightly lower quality and a little more flimsy. The Subaru also used softer plastics and more soft touch materials in certain areas and also had keyless entry and push button start which were two things I liked and wish I had but not a dealbreaker for me.

I am not a huge fan of leather seats because they don't breathe as well and really show their wear and tear over time but I found myself really liking the star tex seats in the Subaru, they aren't real leather but they felt super high quality and have all the same perks as leather seats without the downsides. They breathed well and you can tell that they weren't going to wear or crack over time like traditional leather. I even spilled an entire cup of coffee on my passenger seat the night before I traded it in which sat there for over 20 mins and literally pooled up into a puddle on the seat (don't tell my dealer) but cleaned up so easily with just some towels that you couldn't even notice it. This is the first time I actually wish more cars offered fake leather seats like this.

As for the Maverick, I felt like Ford did a better job working with what they had to put together a unique and overall good looking interior for using lower quality materials. I love the orange accents in the cab and the "jeans" colored cloth they used for the seats as well as the orange stitching. The Subaru was nice with the gray/black/yellow stitching as well but felt more typical and "bland" which to be honest is not necessarily a bad thing, I felt like they took the safe route vs Ford trying to break the mold a little bit. If you took the badges out of both cars you can easily tell the Maverick vs the Subaru which you can easily confuse with any other japanses automaker. The Maverick also feels more rigid and durable with its hard plastics and more like a truck where the Subaru feels more like a car. One thing I was a little disappointed about with the Subaru is lack of power seats, for being almost 30k I would figure it would at least be an option but I guess not.

Believe it or not the Maverick feels like it has more interior room between the front and back seat. I feel like I have more leg room and more like I'm actually driving in a larger vehicle whereas the Crosstrek feels more like I'm driving in a smaller vehicle despite them being roughly the same size. I also feel like I'm sitting more upright and in a more comfortable posture in the Maverick, but I never had any issues feeling like I was uncomfortable in the Subaru either. I'm a smaller guy, only 5'9 apx 160 lbs so maybe this becomes an issue with larger individuals. there is also a ton more storage space built into the cabin of the Mav. The backseat has an enormous amount of room under the seats that the Subaru doesn't have. This is a really big selling point for me since I can keep all my beach equipment under the rear seats and have room to spare where when I had the Subaru I had to keep them in a tote in the trunk which took up space, either that or I'd have to take it out and put it in as I needed it. Overall I like them both for their own reasons but I probably slightly prefer the Maverick interior because it fits more of my needs for what I do, not necessarily because one is better than the other.

For the radio and infotainment system, the Subaru was better which isn't really saying much. They are both pretty basic but the Maverick is literally barebones and designed for apple carplay an android auto. It is also glitchy but overall it gets the job done. this is one area where I'm a simple guy and don't really care about bells and whistles. as long as my radio works and I can plug my phone in I'm good. One other thing to note is the Subaru has no usb-c ports which are a nice thing to have for a quick charge. It feels like the Subaru is a more refined system that is a few years behind if that makes sense.

The Maverick has the 2.0 Ecoboost AWD with 250HP combined and the 8 speed automatic transmission and the Crosstrek has the 2.5 Boxer AWD with 182HP and the CVT transmission. Overall the maverick is more powerful but for such a large gap in Horsepower it didn't feel as large as you would expect. I'm not sure if there is a substantial weight difference, or maybe the tow package on the Maverick, or difference in transmission, but maybe one of them had something to do with it? Regardless neither are putting you in the back of your seat but both feel like they have enough power for what you're paying and the class of vehicle they are. one thing to note is the gas mileage, even though the 2.5 advertises better overall mpg, it is a hog when you go above 65-70 mph and I felt like I got overall less mpg then advertised where the Mav I'm finding that I'm getting better mpg then advertised and consistently getting 32-34 on the highway and 25-26 combined

The turbo on the EB had me a little sketched out at first since I never had a turbo engine before and the earlier version of the engine were really bad, but it does not appear to be a major concern with the modern ones as long as you keep up with the maintenance. Both the 2.5 boxer engine and the 2.0 Ecoboost have been around for a long time and the general consensus from what I've read is that they are both reliable as long as you don't abuse them. The Ecoboost is definitely noisier and much more whiny whereas the 2.5 is smoother and less clunky feeling but this could just be due to the lack of sound dampening in the engine bay and the turbo. Not a huge concern for me considering the price point but something to take into consideration.

As for the transmission, people really like to knock the CVT in the Subaru and this is probably biggest knock that people have with the Crosstrek. I never had any major gripes about it but supposedly the maintenance and longevity is a concern and people in the Subaru community highly recommended to be serviced every 60-70k miles even though Subaru doesn't have it in their required maintenance schedule. I guess this is a question more for people who have a lot of miles on a Subaru CVT. As for the 8 speed on the Maverick It's exactly what you would expect, nothing special but gets the job done. I've never noticed any wonky shifting or anything like that. The Subaru is definitely more refined and is a smoother ride but it isn't a honda vs mercedes level of difference here. The Subaru is more car-y and the Mav is more truck like but relative to each other. The mav feels more like a crossover than a truck and the subaru feels more like a car-crossover hybrid. The Maverick also feels a lot bigger to drive even though they are relatively the same size, I think it's because of the bed and the boxier hood

The Subaru X mode is comparable to the drive modes of the FX4 package. X mode has "snow & dirt" and "deep snow & mud" I have yet to take my Maverick offroad in the sand where I am, but the Subaru handled it perfectly after the tires were aired down in Deep Snow & Mud. It did not hesitate at all and this is where that extra 30 HP makes a big difference. The one time I drove my Maverick in foul weather was during a snowfall in Pennsylvania where the roads were super icy and there were accidents all over the place. I put it in Slippery mode and slowly cruised home for a few hours without any issues at all on route 80 and I have no doubt the Subaru would have been just as good as the Maverick in this situation. I'm waiting to get my beach pass in the mail to test out the Maverick in the sand but I will update once I am able to, but from what I've seen is that they handle great in the sand when properly aired down and with the right equipment. For 99% of situations both are probably going to do everything you need them to and this is probably one area where I'd not worry about if one is better then the other. They both also have the same ground clearance and skid plates for the 1% of times you may need them. Another thing of note, but the Maverick comes with LED headlamps where the Subaru comes with regular halogen headlamps which is another cost cutting feature that I feel Subaru should have included for this price point. It definitely makes a difference when driving offroad with no lights or in foul weather.

The biggest area where the Maverick trounces the Subaru and the biggest reason for me choosing is it's utility. Having the bed and 4k towing capability is something no one else offers for the price point minus maybe the santa cruz, and will be an absolute deal breaker for some people. I've used it for things that I would never have thought I would have needed it for like hauling a picnic bench, a couch, stones around my yard, large amounts of luggage etc. You don't realize the usefulness of a bed until you actually have one, and without compromising cabin space is a huge perk. The Subaru having the hatchback and being able to lock everything inside the cabin out of the weather without having to buy a cap or tonneau cover is nice but does not outweigh the overall utility of the bed. Not to mention the 4k tow package allowing me to tow a trailer, small boat, jet skis, etc if I ever decide in the future. The Maverick also offers a 2" hitch vs the 1 1/4" offered on the Subaru. To be fair the Subaru isn't towing anything and it's mostly just for accessories but I've found some accessories only have a 2" option. The fact that Ford offers so much in such a cheap package still blows my mind. I have people asking me all the time about it and how they can get one.

I can't really speak much about this aspect since I don't have the CP360 package but the Eyesight from Subaru seems to be a more advanced system from what I read and I regret not getting the 360 package with lane keeping.

I think that overall they both have their own benefits and I would be perfectly happy with either one of them, but despite my concerns with the quality and longevity of the Maverick I still prefer the utility of the Maverick. If I were looking for a vehicle that I wanted to use solely for commuting and for occasional bad weather driving I think I may prefer the subaru but in the grand scheme of things the Maverick is such a good value for what it does that It far outweights any other aspect.

I tried to cover as much as I could remember, if anyone has any questions that I didn't address feel free to ask and I can answer them.

TL;DR

SUBARU:

-Nicer Materials
-More refined
-Drives a little better, more like a car
-Less concern about longevity
-Quieter engine
-Slightly more tech
-Would prefer as a strict daily driver

Maverick
-Much More utility
-Much more space
-Better styling
-Drives more like a crossover
-More Power
-Overall better value for the $
-Better suits my needs as a "do everything" vehicle

IMG_9814.JPG
Very good review! Thanks for taking the time to write this!

Clive

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have both of these vehicles right now too. I have to say, despite higher quoted mpg in the Crosstrek the Maverick 2.0 consistently beats it. I’m averaging around 26mpg in the Subaru and over 28 mpg the Maverick.

The Crosstrek (mine is the Limited trim) is definitely more refined. Drive is smoother, and quieter. Inside is way nicer.

I agree that the Maverick feels more spacious. There is a real lack of storage compartments in the Subaru, but the Maverick has storage for days.

Obviously the Maverick has way more utility.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Loffredom

Loffredom

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have both of these vehicles right now too. I have to say, despite higher quoted mpg in the Crosstrek the Maverick 2.0 consistently beats it. I’m averaging around 26mpg in the Subaru and over 28 mpg the Maverick.

The Crosstrek (mine is the Limited trim) is definitely more refined. Drive is smoother, and quieter. Inside is way nicer.

I agree that the Maverick feels more spacious. There is a real lack of storage compartments in the Subaru, but the Maverick has storage for days.

Yes I find it very interesting how much worse mpg I was getting in my Subaru vs the Maverick compared to what is advertised. To get the advertised highway MPG I would have to set the cruise control to 65 and be on completely flat highway with no grade to get the 34 advertised mpg. The Maverick on the other hand I've driven between 70-75 through mountain highways going up and down grades and consistently get better than average MPG.

Clive

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes I find it very interesting how much worse mpg I was getting in my Subaru vs the Maverick compared to what is advertised. To get the advertised highway MPG I would have to set the cruise control to 65 and be on completely flat highway with no grade to get the 34 advertised mpg. The Maverick on the other hand I've driven between 70-75 through mountain highways going up and down grades and consistently get better than average MPG.
Yes, I don't know how the EPA figures are so off for the Subaru. It's supposed to get 34 highway and 27 city, but I can't even get 27 combined.

wvpc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6, 1999 Mazda Miata.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Excellent report. I have a Hybrid ordered last Sept which I am not sure I will even get. I am cross shopping the '24 Crosstrek as plan B. Your write up helps me a lot. If FORD screws me over this fall and does not carry over my order to '24 then I will order the Crosstrek. I may still re-order the Mav for '25. I really hope FORD come thru for me tho.

Old Hickory Trojan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Crosstrek Spt ,23 SC AWD,02 Jeep 4x4, 17 Winbgo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I have the Crosstrek Sport with a Thule Cargo Carrier on the roof and Wildpeak AT Trail tires and have never gotten below 29.7 MPG. Before I mounted the Cargo Carrier it got me between 31-34 MPG.. and thats in combined highway and city driving. Surprising your mileage is that low and by the way my Cargo Carrier is filled with bug out gear up to it's weight limit.

RobCannaday

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
i have a 13 subaru outback that i bought new in 2013,,,still have it. i'm only getting a maverick because i 5 drivers in the house now. Have not had a single repair on the subaru so far...just maintenance

Sponsored

Nighowl2000

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford Maverick lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
We got a 2018 crosstrek 6spd as well as the maverick.

I disagree about rear space. I think the crosstrek has more. The 2.0 boxer is under powered. Stock speakers are crap but really easy to upgrade (put 6x9 kickers in front and 6.5 kickers in the rear door. Wish they made the crosstrek with 2.5 manual.

Maverick EcoBoost is fun especially in sport mode.

Ford Maverick Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost 2.0 vs. Subaru Crosstrek Sport 2.5 Back to Back Comparison (With Pictures) IMG_20221022_123919

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150, 2023 Maverick on Order
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice review, Thank You ! As I will be trading in a 2020 Outback 2.5 (2.0 Ecoboost AWD FX4 Maverick ordered) I really appreciated your review. Have nothing bad to say about the Subaru and am trading mainly because I live 325 miles from a dealership so any service is a hassle. I can echo your experience with the gas mileage on the Subaru as have noticed that at higher speeds, especially at speeds over 70 mph, the gas mileage goes down to the 22-24 mpg range. For me, the Subaru averages 27-28 mpg but I rarely drive above 65 mph. The suspension on the Outback is wonderful, it soaks up the bumps and rides smooth even on the rough dirt/gravel roads here in rural Montana. I do worry that I will sacrifice ride quality by getting the Maverick. Sure wish the Maverick would finally come.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Ford has done a fantastic job with the 2 liter turbo.

S. fisher

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 2500 HD, 15 Santa Fe, 94 XJ
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Maintenance is less on the ecoboost. Every 60,000 miles the timing belt has to be replaced on the boxer. The ecoboost has a double roller chain, good for 100,000+.
It runs about $2000 every time you have to replace the boxer timing belt. If you don’t, you run the risk of a piston going through the block when the belt breaks. Then you need a new motor.
Sponsored