Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
some months ago there was a confirmed by mainstream media dealer's only internal presentation (probably ZOOM type meeting) that announced the compact truck was coming, with few other details. THAT information was leaked on internet and widely circulated. IIRC this was around the time that MAVERICK tailgate rendering was leaked and info surfaced of trademarking of the name. So, no nothing confirmed in mainstream media or directly by Ford, but still believable until proven false. Also, there was a crackdown by Ford on suppliers after Hermosillo assembly line pix leaked so I would not be expecting actual pricing until official specs at least announced by Ford during debut or reveal. To me, this probably follows same info confirmation path as when "C-truck" was leaked from an internal production report and then 21 units built in Hermo and shortly after July 2021 production start reported.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Russell

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Rio5 lx
Just wondering what price range this truck will fall into, many of the pick-up prices today are very hard to swallow. Even the used ones in good condition don't appear to be worth the price. The last Ford truck I owned was a 1997 F-150 at 126,000 miles the engine went even when the vehicles maintenance was followed. Who came up with the idea of cheap manifold metal. That is where my problem started, overheating the catalytic converters causing them to collapse, thus there goes a perfectly good truck. Would like to own another truck, but may be forced to buy Toyota or Nissan, When a Ranger with extended cab may be just right except for the price.

Reactions: Doc

Mox

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just wondering what price range this truck will fall into, many of the pick-up prices today are very hard to swallow. Even the used ones in good condition don't appear to be worth the price. The last Ford truck I owned was a 1997 F-150 at 126,000 miles the engine went even when the vehicles maintenance was followed. Who came up with the idea of cheap manifold metal. That is where my problem started, overheating the catalytic converters causing them to collapse, thus there goes a perfectly good truck. Would like to own another truck, but may be forced to buy Toyota or Nissan, When a Ranger with extended cab may be just right except for the price.
There isn't a definitive answer yet.

Some expect the base/fleet model to start at $20K. There are a couple of approaches to estimate the various trim levels. Most common are to match the trims in the Escape or Bronco Sport, since the Maverick will share the same platform as these vehicles. The other option is to price out an equivalent Ranger and subtract $X000, since it would be unlikely Ford would want two truck vehicles in the same price range.

My opinion is that we'll see a base model around the $21-22K range with a fully-loaded trim running as high as $34K.

Sponsored

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For me, if the Maverick wins against this new Hyundai Santa Cruz, it will have to be because of price. The Santa Cruz has a lot of really nice features, (love the sliding tonneau cover and built-in trunk), some fancy electronics, and loads of style. If they can offer the Mav close to the $20k mark, I might decide I don't need the extras. If about the same price, it'll be a real shoot-out.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
For me, if the Maverick wins against this new Hyundai Santa Cruz, it will have to be because of price. The Santa Cruz has a lot of really nice features, (love the sliding tonneau cover and built-in trunk), some fancy electronics, and loads of style. If they can offer the Mav close to the $20k mark, I might decide I don't need the extras. If about the same price, it'll be a real shoot-out.
But we don’t even know yet what the features are in the upper trim levels of the Maverick.

They are also aimed at two entirely different customer sets.. I expect the Maverick to have capabilities of a “truck” whereas Hyundai has already dampened expectations in that dept by declaring “it’s not a truck”

Meanwhile, the Santa Cruz styling, even on their fan pages, is controversial at best judging from the comments.

To me it looks like a Korean El Camino

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
But we don’t even know yet what the features are in the upper trim levels of the Maverick.

They are also aimed at two entirely different customer sets.. I expect the Maverick to have capabilities of a “truck” whereas Hyundai has already dampened expectations in that dept by declaring “it’s not a truck”

Meanwhile, the Santa Cruz styling, even on their fan pages, is controversial at best judging from the comments.

To me it looks like a Korean El Camino
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 😀 The Maverick looks like just another pickup. Some people want the traditional, others like more pizzazz. Nice that between the two we get a choice.

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Maverick DOES look boring as hell honestly. I havent seen anyone but outliers not loving the Santa Cruz styling. Shockingly good power and tow ratings from the thing too. I was actually very surprised. There is no chance Ford can surpass their numbers, probably only meet them at best.

For the Maverick to be a contender to me its gotta be priced at least $4-5k under a base Santa Cruz. Thankfully the fleet market is a far better suited beast for the Maverick so i think i may be in luck for a stripper model. Ford cant match Hyundai for tech quality either honestly, they havent been able to for years. If the Mav comes similarly specced to the Santa Cruz (and more expensive than expected, near the Santa Cruz pricing) theres no chance Id go Maverick head to head. Of course by that point I probably wont buy either because fancy tech is awful and i wouldnt put any money towards it. Ill just revert back to looking for a 4 banger manual Frontier at that point.

Sponsored

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
The Maverick DOES look boring as hell honestly. I havent seen anyone but outliers not loving the Santa Cruz styling. Shockingly good power and tow ratings from the thing too. I was actually very surprised. There is no chance Ford can surpass their numbers, probably only meet them at best.

For the Maverick to be a contender to me its gotta be priced at least $4-5k under a base Santa Cruz. Thankfully the fleet market is a far better suited beast for the Maverick so i think i may be in luck for a stripper model. Ford cant match Hyundai for tech quality either honestly, they havent been able to for years. If the Mav comes similarly specced to the Santa Cruz (and more expensive than expected, near the Santa Cruz pricing) theres no chance Id go Maverick head to head. Of course by that point I probably wont buy either because fancy tech is awful and i wouldnt put any money towards it. Ill just revert back to looking for a 4 banger manual Frontier at that point.
Ford can’t beat Hyundai in tech? You obviously haven’t read any reviews of the tech in the Mustang Mach E. Automotive and technology press were pretty blown away by it.

The head unit in the Santa Cruz is awful! As others have noted they made the same gawdawful mistake that Honda did in the Ridgeline that they just somewhat corrected by sticking a volume knob on the head unit. (I know, I have one. It’s awful)

The Santa Cruz has NO off-road chops, not even light off-road like the Ridgeline.. and they didn’t design it to have any. Not w 20” wheels.

it’s a small, modern-day, Korean El Camino. By Hyundai’s own words, it’s NOT a truck... the Maverick IS a truck..

Going after totally different market segments. Ford is going after those who want a small “truck”. Ford is planning off-road versions, Timberline, Tremor, etc., something Hyundai couldn’t dream about doing w the Santa Cruz.

It is not about one having to be cheaper than the other, it’s about one being designed for one market segment and another designed for a different market segment.

Ford knows trucks. I’m sure they did their homework for which is the larger market. (The Ridgeline serves as the test case for “non-truck” vehicles w a bed, and the sales numbers are tepid at best).

I’d gladly fork over $35K if I can get a Timberline or Tremor trim, GOAT mode, AT tires, 2” lift, etc, whereas I wouldn’t even bother looking at a Santa Cruz.

Hyundai has said “It’s not a truck”, how much more clear could they be?

Hyundai is going after the skinny-Jean wearing, soy-latte drinking urban crowd BY THEIR OWN WORDS.

The Santa Cruz is a more stylized Subaru Baja, but wo the light off-road Subaru chops..

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2020 HPP mustang
Really Negative Forum ...
Im buying a Maverick as soon as they put out the build sheet ....
Regards

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Man Ive never seen someone as worked up by a vehicle they dont care about as truckguysc is about the Santa Cruz :LOL:

Realistically they're going to be the same vehicle between the two. Light duty non-truck trucks. Hyundai doesnt sugar coat it, we'll see if Ford does. I honestly think the Hyundai is in the far better market position also since they dont have the Ranger that they need to aim to spec under. They can just do whatever they want for specs. The Maverick is going to for sure be held down by the new Ranger generation coming out. It may match some of the Santa Cruz capabilities but they wouldnt dare try to cut into the sales of their new Ranger. I hope they do buy into the sport adventure vehicle trope with a side focus on pushing fleet sale trucks. It satisfies both the markets the truck is realistically aimed towards. I dont understand why some people are saying it needs to be more truck-like and what not. No one is buying these things as a full capability towing/hauling truck and it would be absurd to even try to use them for that. They're both just a natural evolution of the Baja. They have to rely on the outsdoory folk to push this thing, otherwise theres no point for it to exist alongside their real trucks.

Also if they make a $35k+ Maverick I find it utterly ludicrous that anyone would buy it. Thats FX4 Ranger pricing there. Hell, thats base Gladiator pricing even. I cant fathom how much alcohol I would need to imbue buying a $35k Maverick over something far more capable and cool like a Ranger FX4/Gladiator.

Edit: @Doc Im not trying to be negative about the Maverick in the slightest, on the contrary Im absolutely in love with the attention that manufacturers are putting into light duty trucklets like the Maverick/Santa Cruz. I was just starting to drive when the Baja came out and I LOVED those things but obviously couldn't afford getting one. I also love the concept of the Ridgeline but the cost is outrageous for those things. A lighter duty, cheaper Ridgeline is perfect for me so the Santa Cruz or Maverick will be my next purchase for sure IF the price is right. If its priced near the Ranger I just dont see the point when the Ranger wins on all capability fronts and honestly isnt all that much larger of a footprint. Plus, as you know Doc, they're really cool trucks in general arent they?

Last edited:

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Man Ive never seen someone as worked up by a vehicle they dont care about as truckguysc is about the Santa Cruz :LOL:

Realistically they're going to be the same vehicle between the two. Light duty non-truck trucks. Hyundai doesnt sugar coat it, we'll see if Ford does. I honestly think the Hyundai is in the far better market position also since they dont have the Ranger that they need to aim to spec under. They can just do whatever they want for specs. The Maverick is going to for sure be held down by the new Ranger generation coming out. It may match some of the Santa Cruz capabilities but they wouldnt dare try to cut into the sales of their new Ranger. I hope they do buy into the sport adventure vehicle trope with a side focus on pushing fleet sale trucks. It satisfies both the markets the truck is realistically aimed towards. I dont understand why some people are saying it needs to be more truck-like and what not. No one is buying these things as a full capability towing/hauling truck and it would be absurd to even try to use them for that. They're both just a natural evolution of the Baja. They have to rely on the outsdoory folk to push this thing, otherwise theres no point for it to exist alongside their real trucks.

Also if they make a $35k+ Maverick I find it utterly ludicrous that anyone would buy it. Thats FX4 Ranger pricing there. Hell, thats base Gladiator pricing even. I cant fathom how much alcohol I would need to imbue buying a $35k Maverick over something far more capable and cool like a Ranger FX4/Gladiator.

Edit: @Doc Im not trying to be negative about the Maverick in the slightest, on the contrary Im absolutely in love with the attention that manufacturers are putting into light duty trucklets like the Maverick/Santa Cruz. I was just starting to drive when the Baja came out and I LOVED those things but obviously couldn't afford getting one. I also love the concept of the Ridgeline but the cost is outrageous for those things. A lighter duty, cheaper Ridgeline is perfect for me so the Santa Cruz or Maverick will be my next purchase for sure IF the price is right. If its priced near the Ranger I just dont see the point when the Ranger wins on all capability fronts and honestly isnt all that much larger of a footprint. Plus, as you know Doc, they're really cool trucks in general arent they?
actually, Ford pioneered the segment in the 1950s with the Ranchero. The Maverick is more naturally a rebirth and modernizing of the car/truck concept that is perfect for many people that have less than heavy duty truck type needs full time and prefer a more car like ride, handling and size than even a Ranger in Ford's lineup.

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I think the question is whether a 35k Ranger will be more capable for what an individual wants to do with it. Will it be more fuel efficient? No. Will it handle as well on road? No. Will it be more comfortable? Likely no. Will the back seat be more comfortable? Probably not. Will it be as easy to park? No. Will it be as easy to load? No (assuming you don't need the 6 in longer bed).

The Ranger will be better off road, capable of towing more, and likely has higher payload. But if you aren't maxing out those capabilities on the Maverick, why get a truck that's worse at what you are doing in the name of capability?
Sponsored