MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
If I'm still not sold, I'll probably have to find a nice restored 1964/65 Falcon Ranchero with V-8 and manual :cool:
When I was in high school in the '80s my auto shop teacher had a '64 Ranchero. My project was an engine rebuild on a '74 Jeep Cherokee. I'd go in after school to work on the Jeep and the teacher would be in the shop working on that Ranchero. It was his daily driver and at that point he was having to make parts for it. The Ranchero is a sweet little ride, but I think the Santa Cruz, a new Ranger, the Maverick, or a Frontier would all be less trouble as a daily driver. But I could be wrong.

theek

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
My problem remains is that the only truck that fits in my driveway is the short wheelbase Frontier, and I'm not buying a goddamn Nissan due to the horrible dealers around here.

Old Ranchero

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
When I was in high school in the '80s my auto shop teacher had a '64 Ranchero. My project was an engine rebuild on a '74 Jeep Cherokee. I'd go in after school to work on the Jeep and the teacher would be in the shop working on that Ranchero. It was his daily driver and at that point he was having to make parts for it. The Ranchero is a sweet little ride, but I think the Santa Cruz, a new Ranger, the Maverick, or a Frontier would all be less trouble as a daily driver. But I could be wrong.
notice I said a RESTORED Ranchero ;) You ever see what Gas Monkey Garage can do updating a classic with a modern crate motor, new trans, new suspension, brakes and electrical system? I did as much restoration/upgrades as I could on my 1964 in 1979, but too old, tired, and smart for that now, lol. It's still the perfect car/truck utility vehicle for my needs today and with none of the tech babysitter junk added on :p

zeketolliver

First Name
Jake
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Insight
I'm not so sure it's been a "Ford has silenced the media" as much as it's just that there's nothing new to talk about. If pre-production vehicles aren't driving around being photographed and there isn't any new leaked information, there is no reason for writing a new article or creating a new video with nothing new to say or show.

And I'll also second, or third, the statement that it's much too late in the process to make design changes. Ford is well into the final certification testing at this point. As an engineer who has been a part of a handful of certification phases, both clean sheet and refresh, I can assure that these processes take a long time. Heck, look at the full-size Bronco. The fans wanted the manual to be offered with the Sasquatch package. Ford is making that change for them, but it won't be available as an option until next year. A full year and a half after announcing the change. That should give an idea of just how long it takes to incorporate a design change. Even a relatively minor one, as far as the engineering goes, like that.

I definitely (and obviously) have zero idea what goes into vehicle design, or what the timelines look like.

You are correct in that no new information leads to no new news stories.

My question for you, and the other folks more in-tune to the design process: How close do you think Ford is to officially announcing the Maverick?

zeketolliver

First Name
Jake
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Insight
I think there is a great deal more market overlap between potential Maverick and Santa Cruz buyers. Outside of "brand loyalists," and "truck purists," I'm thinking the Santa Cruz and Maverick will largely compete for the same customers.

I think you are correct in that most of the potential buyers for this segment will take a wait and see approach.

Gary in NJ

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
Ford will not announce the Maverick until they have line of sight to a production schedule. With the current chip shortage, it is unlikely that we will get any official data until that issue is resolved and Ford planning can schedule parts for delivery and labor.

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I definitely (and obviously) have zero idea what goes into vehicle design, or what the timelines look like.

You are correct in that no new information leads to no new news stories.

My question for you, and the other folks more in-tune to the design process: How close do you think Ford is to officially announcing the Maverick?
Based on my experience, I'm convinced the design is 99.9% done at this point in the game. Maybe a few tweaks here and there based on the final certification testing currently happening. Probably more like programming changes to try and increase fuel economy or make the shift points more smooth or things like that which are relatively easy to do. Or maybe some accessory attachment ideas kind of things. But certainly not a re-engine or bodylines change or anything like that. Certainly not for the first year of production.

At this point I have a feeling the only thing keeping an announcement or reveal from happening is marketing. They want to find the most opportune moment to announce, and make sure they have all their fancy videos and pictures and website animations ready to go. I'm still thinking later this spring or early summer.

STDriver03

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford Sport Trac
I was at a Ford dealership today and struck up a conversation with a salesperson there. I told him I was waiting to see the new Maverick. I don't think he'd ever heard of it. I have had this happen before when at different dealerships . It's always amazing to me how salespeople at these places know far less about upcoming vehicles then do fans like you might find on this site.

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I was at a Ford dealership today and struck up a conversation with a salesperson there. I told him I was waiting to see the new Maverick. I don't think he'd ever heard of it. I have had this happen before when at different dealerships . It's always amazing to me how salespeople at these places know far less about upcoming vehicles then do fans like you might find on this site.
Salespeople have a hard enough time knowing anything useful about the current vehicles on their lot, so no way they'd have the time and brain space for something that doesn't even officially exist yet.

STDriver03

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford Sport Trac
Salespeople have a hard enough time knowing anything useful about the current vehicles on their lot, so no way they'd have the time and brain space for something that doesn't even officially exist yet.
In fairness, I was also at a Hyundai lot and they didn't know much about the Santa Cruz either. Car salesmen don't seem to be the brightest bulbs in the string if you catch my drift. 😁

The One

First Name
Doc
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2015 Mustang Ecoboost converti
In fairness, I was also at a Hyundai lot and they didn't know much about the Santa Cruz either. Car salesmen don't seem to be the brightest bulbs in the string if you catch my drift. 😁
Every time I go looking for a new car I always know more than any salesman they have. When I went looking at 2015 Mustangs a salesman was getting a GT for me to drive it wasn't a GT it was a V6 I could tell that by looking at the taillight panel. 🤦‍♂️

ghost1986

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Girlfriend and I went to test drive a base Bronco Sport last night and the guy didnt know what the Maverick was really (which is sorta expected honestly). But then he said when I popped the hood it had the same 1.5 4 cylinder turbo as the Escape and I was like... what? How dont you know which engine is in your most popular models?

They got an attached Hyundai dealer to them and at least that guy there knew what a Santa Cruz was. I looked into a new Tucson to see when the interior of the Santa Cruz would be like and he seemed quite excited to get the Santa Cruz's in and see them in person.

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
You never know what you are going to get. I've talked to some dealer employees who were total enthusiasts and were very knowledgeable. But I've also talked to some folks who probably should not have been allowed to get a driver's license.

I called a dealer once after finding the exact vehicle I was looking for on their website. I talked to a salesman and asked if they still had the vehicle. He put me on hold for 10 minutes to go look for it. Came back and assured me they had it. I told him I was on my way to pick up my wife so we could look at it. He promised to pull the vehicle right up front and have it waiting for me. He could smell a sale, and rightly so. I got there and the vehicle was not up front. I had to have the salesman paged. When he comes out he says "So I did some more checking and that vehicle was delivered to a customer yesterday." No apology, no offer to look for another one. My wife and I ended buying from a dealer over 300 miles away who delivered the vehicle to us for free. So, if the sales people can't even keep track of what's on the lot right now, it is no surprise they have no idea what might be on the lot in six months.