First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
The more leaks I see of the maverick, the more I feel there's gonna be a huge gulf between the pricing of the base tradesman model and the 'consumer' models, it looks like more car than the escape, how is it not supposed to surpass it in pricing? Unless they're taking that money from interior comforts? Or maybe the consumer trims will be more expensive than the escape?
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
The actual structure of any vehicle doesn't really cost that much. If it's built in the normal ways with normal materials. An extra panel here and there or a different shaped panel is not that much more. It's all the electronics and computers and gizmos that make the BOM jump. That's one of the main reasons why vehicles these days aren't proportionally more expensive than vehicles in the past. They're exponentially more expensive, because they're more complex. The base Escape and Bronco Sport still include quite a few technological things and creature comforts. The only way to reduce the cost of a vehicle is either reduce the use of high priced components or use the same components that would otherwise be used somewhere else. Depends if Ford feels comfortable putting out a vehicle with very few creature comforts and technology.
But then wouldn't by those standards the escape and bronco sport also be much cheaper? I get the BS has the name, but the escape can really get up there, especially if you want the 2.0, with the Maverick possibly having the 'truck tax' added on it the same way new trucks ballooned in price, I could see this surpassing both for AWD+2.0

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
But then wouldn't by those standards the escape and bronco sport also be much cheaper? I get the BS has the name, but the escape can really get up there, especially if you want the 2.0, with the Maverick possibly having the 'truck tax' added on it the same way new trucks ballooned in price, I could see this surpassing both for AWD+2.0

Unless the maverick truly will be the cheapest way to get into the 2.0

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What I would have expected at the $20k base model price point is a 2-door with a manual transmission, rubber floors, maybe even crank windows. Steel wheels and one color - Oxford White. The strictly fleet vehicle. You can get an F-150 like this so why wouldn't the do that with the Maverick? I'd think for companies just looking for a delivery vehicle they would sell like hotcakes. I'm surprised the bare bones Transit Connect sells for what it does.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
The base Escape and Bronco Sport still include quite a few technological things and creature comforts. I don't expect the AWD 2.0L to be cheap. But the base, under $20k, will all but surely not include AWD or a 2.0L. With the Escape and Bronco Sport, when you get up to the 2.0L level you're already adding a bunch of other technology and creature comforts as well. So the price jump isn't just for the powertrain.
I would expect them to offer this truck much like the Ranger: XL, XLT, Lariat, and whatever they want to call the off road version (Tremor, Timberline, etc.)

As the American manufacturers learned in the 70s-80s, that having mile long options lists leads to increased production costs and lowers quality. Hence trim-levels which they learned from Toyota and Honda. It also helps make the upsell easier and more lucrative.

Itā€™s not that hard to figure out that Ford is in this to make money, as they should be.

Iā€™m pretty sure (matter of fact, Iā€™d put money on it) that Ford sees this as a lifestyle vehicle as opposed to a fleet vehicle, and they donā€™t expect to sell many at the sub-$20K price..

Hereā€™s Car & Driverā€™s guesses at pricing

Ford Maverick Ford Maverick Pricing Will Start Under $20,000 MSRP 7272CA9D-61B8-4AFD-8F53-988770DF06D4

Last edited:

Sponsored

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
"In most European countries" meaning "Within most European countries." So if I live in GB, the tax I pay when buying something isn't going to be different if I do it in Corwall or Orkney. Where I live now in Southern Nevada, I pay different sales tax here vs. CA vs. AZ vs. UT, all of which I can drive to for an afternoon. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

My FICA contribution rate? Zero. In my current position I neither pay into or gain FICA credit. I'm not sure that's relevant to retail purchase pricing though, unless you're proposing we transfer all taxes to consumption taxes, which would be a much larger shakeup.
How are you avoiding paying FICA? Unless you have taxable income of zero, I donā€™t see how youā€™re avoiding FICA.

My point about it is, when you hide taxes, ppl lose track of how much exactly theyā€™re paying to the govt., which is exactly what the politicians want! They want voters who donā€™t know how much theyā€™re being fleeced.

As far as VAT being national, remember that in continental Europe, itā€™s very easy to drive from one country to another as well. They are the sizes of our states! And the Europeans do it all the time! Especially driving over to the Eastern European countries to pay less.

rtcraft89

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes E-500
I would expect them to offer this truck much like the Ranger: XL, XLT, Lariat, and whatever they want to call the off road version (Tremor, Timberline, etc.)

As the American manufacturers learned in the 70s-80s, that having mile long options lists leads to increased production costs and lowers quality. Hence trim-levels which they learned from Toyota and Honda. It also helps make the upsell easier and more lucrative.

Itā€™s not that hard to figure out that Ford is in this to make money, as they should be.

Iā€™m pretty sure (matter of fact, Iā€™d put money on it) that Ford sees this as a lifestyle vehicle as opposed to a fleet vehicle, and they donā€™t expect to sell many at the sub-$20K price..

Hereā€™s Car & Driverā€™s guesses at pricing

7272CA9D-61B8-4AFD-8F53-988770DF06D4.jpeg
I really hope Ford doesnā€™t make this mistake. I can buy a Colorado which is a traditional truck at this price point and itā€™s really close the Ranger price. Hereā€™s what Iā€™m hoping:

XL/S/Base Whatever you want to call it trim:

Ford Maverick Ford Maverick Pricing Will Start Under $20,000 MSRP B5CB24EF-0A48-488D-80B0-81E4D25012DF

This one has Steelies, Door Handles and Mirrors that donā€™t match the body, etc. 1.5 L. Capability to upgrade to AWD. Iā€™d assume very basic functions inside. No power seats, basic cloth etc. Regular SYNC, no Apple car play or anything like that. 20k starting price.

XLT, SE, 2nd Tier Trim:

Ford Maverick Ford Maverick Pricing Will Start Under $20,000 MSRP C699643E-9E92-4357-8C99-277C59B5A392

Upgraded Wheels and grill. Still no matching handles or mirrors. 1.5 L base with the capability to upgrade to 2.0 and AWD. SYNC 3, maybe power drive/heated seats. Push button start etc. I think this is where most consumers would start out. Base Price 23-24k.

SEL/3rd Trim:
Ford Maverick Ford Maverick Pricing Will Start Under $20,000 MSRP 06C046C3-0565-4BD3-B313-7E786D1B7FD5

LED lights, Matching Mirrors, Non Matching Door Handles. 1.5 or 2.0, AWD add on. Active X Leather type seating. Dual Zone AC, more safety features, heated steering wheel etc. base price 26-28k.

Lariat/Tremor/Titanium/High End Trim.

Ford Maverick Ford Maverick Pricing Will Start Under $20,000 MSRP 43367B24-DB2F-439C-9A81-AB253281D710

Top of the line. 2.0 AWD base. All tech and safety features. Matching exterior features. Premium Interior Etc. 32-36k base.

These are guesses and hopes. The last thing I want/think Ford will do is price this anywhere near the Ranger. Whatā€™s the point of this vehicle at that point outside of MPG and a few tech features?

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What do we expect a 20k model to look like?

FWD, 1.5L, LX/S type of trim? I wouldnā€™t imagine it being any less?
In a base Maverick there has been speculation all along by the media that the base engine will be the Duratec 20 non-turbo 4 cylinder, rather than the 1.5 Ecoboost. Iā€™m guessing that engine might even be the standard engine in the next trim level up (XLT?) with the 1.5 becoming an option at that level and then the 1.5 becoming standard at the next level (Lariat?). The folks who are hoping for 2.0 Ecoboost in anything but the top level are bucking the way Ford does it with the Bronco Sport and Escape... but it sure would be nice to get the Maverick at any level with top engine!

John Galt

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Nissan, Porsche
Iā€™m not sure. My only thought is the Escape is the correct pricing & the Bronco Sport has a lot of extra research & development pricing added onto it as well as the hype. If you do a search in your favorite car website you can find some new 2021 Escapeā€™s for as low as $17K. Now that is the S and for $18K the SE, but that is a big difference than the Bronco Sport pricing. I think this may be how they will do it. Maverick FWD will be using the Escape parts bin. If we get an AWD version it will be using the Bronco Sport parts bin.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021-ford-bronco-sport-escape-suspension-awd-systems-explained/amp/

32CB645A-4AE8-41B2-9BB2-9F174275527E.jpeg

66A8E3C0-6F38-4FCE-8537-A1961AC282C5.jpeg
Based on this ^ I don't see much chance of a sub $20k offering. My guess is the base model will start at at least $22k and climb to the mid $30's in high end trims.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I really hope Ford doesnā€™t make this mistake. I can buy a Colorado which is a traditional truck at this price point and itā€™s really close the Ranger price. Hereā€™s what Iā€™m hoping:

XL/S/Base Whatever you want to call it trim:

B5CB24EF-0A48-488D-80B0-81E4D25012DF.jpeg

This one has Steelies, Door Handles and Mirrors that donā€™t match the body, etc. 1.5 L. Capability to upgrade to AWD. Iā€™d assume very basic functions inside. No power seats, basic cloth etc. Regular SYNC, no Apple car play or anything like that. 20k starting price.

XLT, SE, 2nd Tier Trim:

C699643E-9E92-4357-8C99-277C59B5A392.png

Upgraded Wheels and grill. Still no matching handles or mirrors. 1.5 L base with the capability to upgrade to 2.0 and AWD. SYNC 3, maybe power drive/heated seats. Push button start etc. I think this is where most consumers would start out. Base Price 23-24k.

SEL/3rd Trim:
06C046C3-0565-4BD3-B313-7E786D1B7FD5.jpeg

LED lights, Matching Mirrors, Non Matching Door Handles. 1.5 or 2.0, AWD add on. Active X Leather type seating. Dual Zone AC, more safety features, heated steering wheel etc. base price 26-28k.

Lariat/Tremor/Titanium/High End Trim.

43367B24-DB2F-439C-9A81-AB253281D710.png

Top of the line. 2.0 AWD base. All tech and safety features. Matching exterior features. Premium Interior Etc. 32-36k base.

These are guesses and hopes. The last thing I want/think Ford will do is price this anywhere near the Ranger. Whatā€™s the point of this vehicle at that point outside of MPG and a few tech features?
For those more worried about features than price (i.e. people like me), it's size... I would much rather have the conveniences and capabilities of say the Ranger Lariat 4WD in a smaller package. And I would want it to be a smaller Ranger, not a smaller Ridgeline type of vehicle.

Sponsored

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just need a truck that fits in my friggin' driveway and garage both of which were designed for a Ford Model T.

Not kidding. I found Model T parts in the rafters of the garage.

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was thinking about this earlier today. Where the did the $20K starting price come from? I can't find any official statement from Ford. Is this just a rumor or was it actually stated somewhere from an official source?

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In a base Maverick there has been speculation all along by the media that the base engine will be the Duratec 20 non-turbo 4 cylinder, rather than the 1.5 Ecoboost. Iā€™m guessing that engine might even be the standard engine in the next trim level up (XLT?) with the 1.5 becoming an option at that level and then the 1.5 becoming standard at the next level (Lariat?). The folks who are hoping for 2.0 Ecoboost in anything but the top level are bucking the way Ford does it with the Bronco Sport and Escape... but it sure would be nice to get the Maverick at any level with top engine!
I heard that idea floated somewhere else too back when this was a rumored Transit Connect based truck and Id be all for it. I think that non turbo 2.0 is fine overall. Nothing fancy at all but it does work.Unfortunately I think were only getting a 1.5/2.0 choice. I dont think they would try to do three engines in one model like this either (2.0/1.5/2.0).

I was thinking about this earlier today. Where the did the $20K starting price come from? I can't find any official statement from Ford. Is this just a rumor or was it actually stated somewhere from an official source?
I think it was just a rumor that caught a lot of ground but nothings been even vaguely confirmed yet by Ford. The absolute best indicator you would have for this price would be the Ranger starts at $24k and this thing would HAVE to be a good chunk cheaper to make it competitive otherwise Id happily just buy the more capable Ranger instead (and in a better extended cab body style).

I also think the $20k starting point is absurd since thats what the little Ecosport starts at. You're telling me its gonna cost the same to start as a lifted 1.0 front wheel drive Fiesta based crossover?

Its a very tight price point to fit into. If they can make it significantly cheaper than the Ranger in a tradesman trim Ill be on board 100%. Im hoping they make a super super low tech model for fleet purposes for $20k. Ill absolutely love it.

Mox

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I heard that idea floated somewhere else too back when this was a rumored Transit Connect based truck and Id be all for it. I think that non turbo 2.0 is fine overall. Nothing fancy at all but it does work.Unfortunately I think were only getting a 1.5/2.0 choice. I dont think they would try to do three engines in one model like this either (2.0/1.5/2.0).

I think it was just a rumor that caught a lot of ground but nothings been even vaguely confirmed yet by Ford. The absolute best indicator you would have for this price would be the Ranger starts at $24k and this thing would HAVE to be a good chunk cheaper to make it competitive otherwise Id happily just buy the more capable Ranger instead (and in a better extended cab body style).

I also think the $20k starting point is absurd since thats what the little Ecosport starts at. You're telling me its gonna cost the same to start as a lifted 1.0 front wheel drive Fiesta based crossover?

Its a very tight price point to fit into. If they can make it significantly cheaper than the Ranger in a tradesman trim Ill be on board 100%. Im hoping they make a super super low tech model for fleet purposes for $20k. Ill absolutely love it.
Agreed with everything here. If you look at the F-150 and Ranger, the F-150 starts at ~$29K and the Ranger starts at ~$25K (a bit of rounding here). Sub $20K would be a great starting point for Maverick, but I agree it seems difficult to achieve. Perhaps I'm a bit pessimistic, but $21-22K seems like a more reasonable starting price. That said, I hope they keep the trim levels very reasonable. A lot of people will be wanting the mid- or high-trim package (XLT/Lariat?) and I can't see them pushing those types of units if they're costing $32k/$35K. In my opinion, I'd hope a fully-loaded variant would be <$32k.

dano0726

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
After seeing this Bronco Sport Badlands (took delivery yesterday) with an MSRP of just under $35K = let's say that will be the Lariat level pricing...
Ford Maverick Ford Maverick Pricing Will Start Under $20,000 MSRP Badlands
Sponsored