Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 Ranger, ‘22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My dad was a Ford loyalist, maybe be his dad owned a dealership at one time. I rode in a lot of Fords, of course.

I just buy whatever best meets my needs. Maverick seems like it would work.
Sponsored

UncleDuke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fusion
About me,;
2 used Fords
2 new Mecury's
10 new Fords
30 years working the floor at Ford Monroe (Mich.) Stamping plant.

I was at my local Ford dealer bright and early on June 8, 2021, got my confirmation from Ford on June 10, 2021

First Edition, Rapid Red, Hybrid

This experience may be my last with Ford. Over 8 months now without a word. I find that unacceptable.

Reactions: TCK

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My original post of the years we have (meaning my entire family) was positive. We have always had Fords since my moms LTD, and while I have not had one for a few years because they stopped making cars aside from the Fiesta and Mustang (nope), I was excited to once again have a Ford fit my needs. I have personally built and restored several old Fords…this company is in my blood.
That was in September, and I was so idealistic. I thought for sure Ford could delete the dealer, and deliver my truck exactly as I ordered it at a great price. They cannot.
Today, I would say this. How would I leave Ford? If they not only could not build my truck as I ordered it, and they allowed dealers who I already cannot stand add an ADM…but that is exactly where I am. No build date (summer order), dealer ADM in spite of saying MSRP was the price. Should have gotten it signed, no other options available…backed against a wall.
This new idea Ford has about how to sell cars is somehow much more slimy than the old way. I will likely still buy the truck (if they ever build it) but at this point only as I ordered it. As competitors make other options available, I dare say my next car after this will not be a Ford.

Paulyz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.churchbelltoweradventure-suspense.com
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My dad is the reason I'm a Ford fanboy he worked at a local dealership for over 40 years. It was basically my second home, loved watching my dad work on cars and the smell of oil and gas lofting through the air. He also got picked on a lot down there by his friends because of our last name if you couldn't tell with my username. People ask him why don't you drive a Dodge. My dad would never answer that question. My dad passed in 2006 and I miss those times with him at the shop. I knew he loved what he did so of course I have to continue driving Fords.

Was there ever a Time that you thought of jumping ship and going to another manufacturer. Or maybe you did, what made you come back for the Maverick.

For me it was when I bought my 1990 Ford probe GT, how Ford thought that would replace the Mustang I will never know. Almost made me think of changing sides but my next car was a 1995 Ford T-Bird and my probe was a forgotten memory.
I grew up when Chevys were the thing by me, but after owning 3 Mustangs & a Ford Ranger, & eventually a Maverick, I prefer Ford's. They have the best Trucks.

RRaynor2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Funny, I see of lot of "My Dad..."

Same for me. My Dad worked at the San Jose Ford plant for 9 years until it closed. He has always driven either a Ranger or F150 (40+ years).

My first real car was a used 2001 Ford ZX2 which was hands down the best car I've had for the money. Cost me $7500 and I drove it for 120k miles with absolutely zero problems. Sold it for $1500, running well.

Today I drive a Fusion that is a great sedan. Love everything about it.

Plus there's the patriotic stuff about a US car company (even if Mav is built in Mexico)

Ford would probably have to be bought by a foreign car company or really start dropping to the bottom of reliability lists for me to jump ship.

Sponsored

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
Was there ever a Time that you thought of jumping ship and going to another manufacturer. Or maybe you did, what made you come back for the Maverick.

For me it was when I bought my 1990 Ford probe GT, how Ford thought that would replace the Mustang I will never know. Almost made me think of changing sides but my next car was a 1995 Ford T-Bird and my probe was a forgotten memory.
I've kind of mentally already left Ford, although once they're more available (6-24 months from now?) I may trip the trigger on a hybrid Maverick. The last 20-ish years I've been a Ford fan but times change and I have too.

Purchased vehicles I remember, kind of/sort of in order of when I bought them:

Used and 2wd, except where noted:
-’69 Camaro manual (1st car, bought used in ’69, 250 in3 straight six, 3-speed manual trans)
-’65 Corvair auto (bought for $250 from mechanic at work, drove a couple years while at college, it was stolen and driven from CA to NY and back again (!?), police recovered it and returned it to me, I then sold it for $250. A great basic transportation car and yes, without a lot of weight in the front trunk it was ‘unsafe’ on the highway in high winds.
-’63 IH Scout 4WD manual (generally a POS as it was driven hard before I bought it)
-’64 Triumph TR4A manual (yes I hate Lucas ignition systems but helped my dating opportunities)
New - ’76 GMC PU reg. cab auto (1st new truck)
-‘80s Volvo 360 auto (bought in England, 1st spouse demanded auto trans, crappy belt-driven CVT)
-‘80s Renault Alliance manual (2nd worst POS I’ve owned)
New – ’84 Toyota Tercel wagon auto (spouse liked it, me not so much)
-‘80s Toyota Corolla manual
-‘80’s Mazda GLC manual
-’84 Oldsmobile Cutlass station wagon auto (best used car I’ve owned)
-‘80’s Dodge Ram PU reg. cab auto (1st worst POS I’ve owned)
-‘80’s Chevy S-10 PU manual
-’88 Mazda 626 auto (bought in Norway, 2nd spouse demanded auto trans)
New – ’89 Honda Prelude auto (spouse loved it)
-‘90s Ford F150 PU reg. cab auto (had a 460 in3 V8, I could literally watch the gas gauge go down as I drove)
-‘90s Ford F150 PU extended cab manual
New -’00 Ford PU reg. cab auto
New – ’04 Toyota Tacoma PU crew cab auto
New – ’06 Ford Escape auto (loudest road noise car I’ve ever owned)
New – ’09 Ford F150 PU reg. cab auto
New – ’12 Ford F250 PU reg. cab auto
New – ’12 Ford Explorer auto
New – ’16 Ford F150 crew cab auto
New – ’16 Ford Fiesta auto (great car, spouse hated it)
New – ’17 Honda CR-V auto
New – ’18 Ford F150 extended cab auto
New – ’22 Honda Civic auto

OP
OP
A Dodge that drives Fords

A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
whether it's for Ford or not, I Love reading the stories. Thanks to everybody who has shared their stories. 750 miles on my Maverick so far I'm loving every minute of it. Hope you all get your Mavericks soon to enjoy the summer with it 💙

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not a fan boy. However i am an american brand car guy. This being said, I cut my teeth on 1960s and mid 1970s chrysler products. I have owned a lot of vehicles over the years. This will be the 3rd ford I have ever owned. My list starts in 1985, and is extensive and pretty chronological starting in 1985. Ones in parentheses I still own.

As you can see from the list I am a mopar guy , but theres been a smattering of chevys and fords in there. Not one foreign car. My real love is in older MoPars. Specifically A body 67-69 barracudas, as well as B body dodge chargers, and G body FWD Daytonas

The daytonas were made in St. Louis Missouri, and the 2.2/2.5 engines were an american design loosely based on the VW 1.6. I used to be a dealer mechanic for Chrysler so I know the ins and outs of them. The closest I came to owning a foreign make was the 90 daytona ES 3.0. That engine was a Mitsubishi engine. The car and trans was not.

This being said, for a daily driver, I buy what fits my needs. My 1994 silverado I have owned since new. A 350 V8 with 5 speed manual. It was special ordered as a loaded truck with a standard shift. I have had her 28 years now. Great truck. My son will get it when I pass away.

My mustang GT was a divorce gift to me. When these came out in 2005 I was floored. It looked like the 67-68 fastback. One of my favorites. Then divorce hit me over the head in 06, and I bought one special order on 07. I love the car. I feel like Steve McQueen every time I slip behind the wheel. Had I known a bullitt edition was coming for 09 I woulda waited for that one.

My HHR daily driver is getting long in the tooth but its ecotec 2.2 5 speed still runs well and returns 29mpg over all. I will keep it as a spare vehicle. When I found out about the maverick, I researched it to death. It's the absolute perfect replacement. It will do everything I need it to do.

I went for the 2.0 turbo AWD since if my list tells you anything I love turbo 4 bangers, and the AWD will be perfect for winter weather. This is like a swiss army knife of a vehicle. It will do the many things I need it to do including running V8 engine blocks to and from the machine shop. The only thing I wish it had was a clutch and a standard shift. Everything I own is a standard shift except for the wifes van. I am a stick shift junkie. This will be the first new vehicle I own in years without one.

1968 dodge charger 383
1966 dodge coronet 440
1977 dodge charger SE 440
1973 ford ranchero GT 351C
1975 dodge charger SE 360
1969 dodge charger R/T 440
1968 barracuda fastback 318
1988 dodge daytona shelby 2.2 Tll
1971 chevy C/10 350
1994 chevy C1500 silverado 350 (bought new still own)
1969 dodge dart WSS 225
1960 chevy El Camino 350
1990 dodge daytona ES 2.5
1990 dodge daytona ES 3.0 V6
1988 dodge daytona shelby 2.2 Tll (still own)
1987 chrysler Lebaron turbo coupe 2.2 (still own)
1979 dodge oil red express truck past father-son project
2007 ford mustang GT 4.6 5 speed (bought new still own)
2008 chevy HHR wagon (bought new daily driver)
1967 plymouth barracuda 408 4 speed (project car)
1969 plymouth barracuda 318 (father-son project car)
2013 grand caravan (wifey mobile)

Last edited:

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Henry Ford was only the 'chief engineer' of the original Ford Motor Company. He was not the owner as most believe. Ford Motor Company was getting ready to build hand made high $ luxury models like the rest of the industry at that time but Henry had a different idea. Henry wanted to improve the lives of rural farm workers and people of more meager means by producing affordable transportation. Henry proposed the Model T. Building cheaper vehicles was not a good business model to the original investors so the idea was rejected. Henry conjured up a plan.

When his plan was ready to go Henry Ford took a full page ad out in the NY Times stating that he was Henry Ford and he was looking for investors to help him start a new company with a better vision. As expected, Ford Motor Company shares tanked as the stock started to get dumped on Wall Street. What good was the Ford Motor Company without a Ford? Henry went into action on his plan. He had shadow companies begin purchasing the shares as value plummeted until he had a majority stake in the original Ford Motor Company. He then took control and fired the two original investors from their leadership positions in the company. The two left on bad terms with their sworn intent to form their own Auto Company and then use it to 'bury the Ford Motor Company.' At least Henry was now free to pursue the Model T and the rest is history.

Oh, the two that left were the Dodge brothers. The company they started was Dodge Motors.

Luckily for us they were not successful in their mission so we get the new Maverick. Both companies are still with us with Dodge part of Fiat-Chrysler. So in the end there is an actual connection between your name Dodge and the Ford Motor Company. The two Dodge brothers funded the original startup!
That was a bit skewed actually. The dodge brothers did invest in ford motor, but they were also a component manufacturer/supplier to ford, along with other makes such as oldsmobile at the same time. They did invest in the company, along with making parts as subcontractors. When ford came out with the model T , the dodge brothers figured they would be on the ground floor of something great as parts maker subcontractors.

Ford decided that everything for the model T would be done in house, and cast the dodge brothers aside. Henry Ford was also a bit of an anti semite. Note the dodge brothers logo on their cars was the star of David. Now because ole Henry was an anti semite, was this the reason he kicked the dodge brothers to the curb? Or was it the convienence of doing everything in house without relying on subcontractors for parts? I mean the Rouge River plant was huge for it's time. As far as Henry's reasons, and the dodge brothers, nobody will ever know. That was over 100 years ago, and none are around today to tell the tale.

Myself I love Chrysler products. 1960s, 70s, and 80s, stuff. As far as daily drivers though, I buy what suits my needs providing it's from a US legacy company such as Ford, Chrysler, or GM. I would love a dodge challenger hellcat, or even an R/T classic with a 6 speed manual, but the cost, practicality, and high fuel consumption make it a loser as a daily driver on my budget.

Now if I was wealthy, ya sure, give me a hell kitty for fun, and a maverick as a daily driver. If the maverick was a Chrysler or a GM idea, I'd be all over it just like I am now with it being a Ford product. Well GM maybe not so much. GM tends to botch shit until the last year or 2 of production. That's when they finally get it right. As far as the maverick goes though, I feel It's the right vehicle, at the right price, at the right time.

Last edited:

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’ve always been ford guy my family has worked for ford they have treated us fair and msrp . I don’t think I’ll ever buy dodge or Honda etc . If they started supply Russia with trucks then I would lol …… Seriously ford has been great to me I got my maverick in 3m at msrp . I know not everyone has had the same experience but that’s mine.

As for other brands I like , the GMC canyon is nice , the Honda Civcs are nice. The s10s is what got rides in highschool.

Am i fanboy ? I guess so , they put out affordable trucks and cars with style . Not ever brand does . Chevy doesn’t anymore , dodge is about to be all trucks at 35k and up. Hyundia is ok.. just not my style in general .

Last edited:
Sponsored

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
the tacoma which is overall a decent truck lacks power on road and mpg and backseat space is horrendous.. The 2023 is no different maybe 2024 will be better but Tacoma is starting fall from grace from consumer standpoint.

Last edited:

TimmH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Only veered away from ford 2x, a 99 Dodge Durango (Spend more time in the shop than i my driveway), and my current 2018 Jeep Wrangler.

1986 Mustang
1989 Thunderbird SC
1994 Ford Explorer
1999 Dodge Durango
2004 Explorer Sport-Trac (Loved that thing)
2006 Ford Mustang
2016 Ford Escape (Hated It) (Transmission Blew at 9k, they gave me a deal on an Edge)
2016 Ford Edge
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Sponsored