First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Do a little research, listen to others with experience, knowledge is power.
Watch videos of towing failures. I'm serious. Not to scare people or make fun of others (who may have been harmed) but go see what happens in real world. In real world dashcams, fish tailing pops up more often that I'd like, and sadly it often ends with total loss of control of the vehicle and a crash. A smart person will start looking at 'how to prevent fish tailing while towing".

There's lots of vids of toy trailers on treadmills to demonstrate fish tailing at various weights, but this Dutch one below adds a unique point IMO. It shows the affect of adding payload to the towing vehicle. Most vids about fish tailing only redistribute weight on the towed trailer. You don't need to speak Dutch to get the idea: adding payload to towing vehicle instead of adding that weight back to the towed trailer also reduces fish tailing. And yes, like the English speaking videos say, adding weight behind the axle of the towed trailer is just inviting fish tailing. So my general rules are:

1) pack the truck cabin 1st (front axle)
2) pack the truck bed (rear axle)
3) lightly pack/load the trailer -- go ahead of its axle / towards the tongue
4) resist urge to heavily pack/load the trailer, and behind trailer's axle = Just Say NO!
5) check tongue weight / sag (measure sag, or I just bought a Weigh Safe ball to be safer)

Sponsored

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I see that many on here are getting their first truck. Since it comes with a trailer hitch, many will probably get a trailer as they see a need. So, those that have never pulled a trailer, need some tips from those of us that have. I will start it off and everyone else will add their experience to the thread.
1. If you have never pulled a trailer and plan on getting a 2 wheeled trailer, find an empty parking lot and practice backing the trailer into a parking spot. You will soon learn that you will need to turn the steering wheel the opposite direction you want the trailer to go. I hope this gets you off to a good start. Now, here are some tips from others:
Spot on requirement for me... I have never towed anything. I have driven a School bus - but not the same and that was in 1978 - drove one 2 times as I recall, had a class C license and all! Anyhow, I respect and appreciate any other advice. Point in fact, today on these forum threads I read a few comments regarding the Tow capability as it aligns to the durability of the 2.0 L EcoBoost engine - hairline cracks etc. More comments sent my way or in general threads... I will devour reading about them!

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Watch videos of towing failures. I'm serious. Not to scare people or make fun of others (who may have been harmed) but go see what happens in real world. In real world dashcams, fish tailing pops up more often that I'd like, and sadly it often ends with total loss of control of the vehicle and a crash. A smart person will start looking at 'how to prevent fish tailing while towing".

There's lots of vids of toy trailers on treadmills to demonstrate fish tailing at various weights, but this Dutch one below adds a unique point IMO. It shows the affect of adding payload to the towing vehicle. Most vids about fish tailing only redistribute weight on the towed trailer. You don't need to speak Dutch to get the idea: adding payload to towing vehicle instead of adding that weight back to the towed trailer also reduces fish tailing. And yes, like the English speaking videos say, adding weight behind the axle of the towed trailer is just inviting fish tailing. So my general rules are:

4) resist urge to heavily pack/load the trailer, and behind trailer's axle = Just Say NO!
5) check tongue weight / sag (measure sag, or I just bought a Weigh Safe ball to be safer)

Yes.. I was doing this already one week ago... frankly it was uncomfortable viewing... These packing recommendations are great! Thanks!

A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Love those pictures 🤣

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So what would you say is a safe towing limit for the Hybrid with two people in it (say 350lbs) plus another 300lbs of equipment in the truck bed?

I'm building something called a pocketship that should weigh about 800lbs all in, plus the 300lb aluminum boat trailer. I'm curious if the Hybrid can safely tow the boat.

Sponsored

bobtheslob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Escape Titanium, 17 Flex Base
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's always handy for a newly licensed semi driver to drive the "one stack Mack with a window in the back"

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Good advice. Do a little research, listen to others with experience, knowledge is power.
Lots of sources for both what to do / what not to do. For fun, some examples of the latter:

"Guess I shoulda tightened my straps a bit more...but my brakes worked fine..."
boat strap.jpg

"Let's see...are IBC totes rated for gasoline? Is it DOT legal to carry this much gas? What's it weigh? Ah screw it there's a gas shortage now I gotta get home..."
truck ibs gas.jpg

"Tongue weight, schmongue weight, I gotta get this to the garage..."
truck tongue load.jpeg

"Honey, I trip-checked the trailer before I left the house didn't I?..."
check your trailer.png

"Payload? Doorjam sticker? What that?..."
payload problem.jpeg

"Well I can't rig a 5th wheel hitch to my tow vehicle, maybe this will work..."
5th wheel.JPG

"You mean my Subaru don't have a heavy duty payload package? Who cares..."
subaru.JPG
I just noticed the one without the tire. Whoever took this has not had a trailer tire go down. You can slowly make your way if a 4 tire trailer loses 1 tire. It'd just enough to get you to saftey or a tire store.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So what would you say is a safe towing limit for the Hybrid with two people in it (say 350lbs) plus another 300lbs of equipment in the truck bed?

I'm building something called a pocketship that should weigh about 800lbs all in, plus the 300lb aluminum boat trailer. I'm curious if the Hybrid can safely tow the boat.
Refer to the Ford towing guide or search the forum for posts on towing calculations. They will show you how to determine what you can tow with your hybrid.

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
Tow mirrors are not needed unless your trailer is wider than the tow vehicle at it's mirror height, or the tow vehicle you're driving happens to be a Ram pickup. In the case of the latter, it seems mandatory to flip up your tow mirrors even if all you're towing is sailboat fuel.

When I refer to "mirror height", I am referring to the side mirrors on the tow vehicle. For example, while an 8.5' wide flat deck trailer is wider than the tow vehicle's side mirrors, it is lower than the tow vehicle's side mirrors, so it doesn't significantly increase blind spots, as you can easily see across and behind the trailer.

An 8.5' wide enclosed trailer is wider than the tow vehicle's side mirrors, so it will increase your blind spots if the trailer is also taller than the tow vehicle's side mirrors. The same applies if you had that flat deck in the first example, but loaded cargo that was taller than the tow vehicle's side mirrors.

A 5' wide enclosed trailer is taller than the tow vehicle's side mirrors, but it's narrower than the tow vehicle itself, so it doesn't increase your blind spots significantly unless the trailer is very long. But 5-foot-wide trailers that are more than ten feet long are uncommon.

The $1 stick-on blind spot mirrors are a good addition though. As you round corners in parking lots, they make it easy to watch the trailer tires and be sure you're going to clear curbs and such.

I prefer to hang a large quick link from each safety chain eye on the trailer hitch. They work two-fold.

If the trailer's safety chains are too long, instead of twisting the trailer's safety chains to shorten them, I pull the safety chain hooks through the quick links and hook the safety chain hooks back along the safety chains.

If the trailer's safety chains are too short, the large quick links are usually enough added length to allow the chains to have enough slack.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tow mirrors are not needed unless your trailer is wider than the tow vehicle at it's mirror height, or the tow vehicle you're driving happens to be a Ram pickup. In the case of the latter, it seems mandatory to flip up your tow mirrors even if all you're towing is sailboat fuel.

When I refer to "mirror height", I am referring to the side mirrors on the tow vehicle. For example, while an 8.5' wide flat deck trailer is wider than the tow vehicle's side mirrors, it is lower than the tow vehicle's side mirrors, so it doesn't significantly increase blind spots, as you can easily see across and behind the trailer.

An 8.5' wide enclosed trailer is wider than the tow vehicle's side mirrors, so it will increase your blind spots if the trailer is also taller than the tow vehicle's side mirrors. The same applies if you had that flat deck in the first example, but loaded cargo that was taller than the tow vehicle's side mirrors.

A 5' wide enclosed trailer is taller than the tow vehicle's side mirrors, but it's narrower than the tow vehicle itself, so it doesn't increase your blind spots significantly unless the trailer is very long. But 5-foot-wide trailers that are more than ten feet long are uncommon.

The $1 stick-on blind spot mirrors are a good addition though. As you round corners in parking lots, they make it easy to watch the trailer tires and be sure you're going to clear curbs and such.

I prefer to hang a large quick link from each safety chain eye on the trailer hitch. They work two-fold.

If the trailer's safety chains are too long, instead of twisting the trailer's safety chains to shorten them, I pull the safety chain hooks through the quick links and hook the safety chain hooks back along the safety chains.

If the trailer's safety chains are too short, the large quick links are usually enough added length to allow the chains to have enough slack.
Tow mirrors on a Dodge are required because every dodge gains 50 herspers from it and they are all sold with a 50 foot ghost trailer permanently installed.

Sponsored

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Brilliant! Thank you.

Romac

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So I have a question as someone who has not towed before; is the ford accessory hitch with 2” drop the best all around to go for? Part number BL3Z19F503B - I was going to get a curt or something and there’s tons of different part numbers for 2” hitches with 2” drop, they all look the same to me. Plus I read complaints of rattling with certain aftermarket ones. I literally know nothing about them. I do have tow package Just in case.

I don’t and won’t be buying a boat or anything crazy anytime soon. I just want a basic setup to keep under the seat in case we need to rent a small u haul trailer to get some large furniture home etc.

I would appreciate the help!

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I cannot believe I did this in my late thirties. My dad had a Magnatrack (if you know you know) that I built as a kid, and he decided to sell it. Guy shows up with a truck and trailer, figure this is easy enough, I will drive it onto the trailer and be good.
Still cursing dad because I built this thing and it took all summer, I put her into gear and start onto the trailer. My terror begins when the entire rear end of the truck lifts up and we all go sliding down the hill we are on out of control. Fortunately I realized that if I could get to the front of the trailer I might be able to set that truck back down…it worked, after we had taken out a gate hung on an 8” post and we’re headed toward a 16’ drop into a ravine. Yeeeeehaaawwww. Good news- I didn’t die. Moral of the story, know what your weight limit is, every time.
I tell my students often that I have done stupid things so they do not have to.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Small adjustments in steering while backing up go a long way to be successful. When you make a slight change it will take a few moments before it corrects back by the trailer. It is ok. Quick, large movements will bring damage and trouble.

Use a combination of mirrors and actually moving your neck to look out the back window. The camera angle is a SECONDARY choice to look.

For the first few times and while practicing in a parking lot, put your steering wheel in the straight position and tires are pointing straight. Put a wrap of tape at the 12 noon position. This will greatly aid in knowing what is straight as your world is being changed around you as you learn the dynamics of backing a trailer.

Make sure you have a STRONG and HEALTHY marriage/relationship if you are going to have your spouse/girlfriend/boyfriend help in aiding your backing up!!!!!! Many a trip have been ruined by this action. It is a sight to see when you are the observer!
Might want to watch 1953 movie "The Long Long Trailer" (staring Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz) 🤗🤗

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So I have a question as someone who has not towed before; is the ford accessory hitch with 2” drop the best all around to go for? Part number BL3Z19F503B - I was going to get a curt or something and there’s tons of different part numbers for 2” hitches with 2” drop, they all look the same to me. Plus I read complaints of rattling with certain aftermarket ones. I literally know nothing about them. I do have tow package Just in case.

I don’t and won’t be buying a boat or anything crazy anytime soon. I just want a basic setup to keep under the seat in case we need to rent a small u haul trailer to get some large furniture home etc.

I would appreciate the help!
I find that most U-haul trailers need a height to the top of the ball of right at 20", so depending on the dimension to the top of the 2" opening, a 2" drop insert might be slightly low. The Ford part # you posted is just the ball, so you still need the insert. For in-frequent use, no need to spend the $$$ for a Ford-branded setup.

HRG
Sponsored