Spook

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I see that many on here are getting their first truck. Since it comes with a trailer hitch, many will probably get a trailer as they see a need. So, those that have never pulled a trailer, need some tips from those of us that have. I will start it off and everyone else will add their experience to the thread.
1. If you have never pulled a trailer and plan on getting a 2 wheeled trailer, find an empty parking lot and practice backing the trailer into a parking spot. You will soon learn that you will need to turn the steering wheel the opposite direction you want the trailer to go. I hope this gets you off to a good start. Now, here are some tips from others:
Sponsored

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here is the best tidbit....the shorter the trailer the harder it is to back.......

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Even for those of us who have towed, Ford recommends a 1,000mil break-in with no towing.

Sponsored

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Passenger car tires are NOT trailer tires, and as such, should never be substituted for them.

medgar

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Small adjustments in steering while backing up go a long way to be successful. When you make a slight change it will take a few moments before it corrects back by the trailer. It is ok. Quick, large movements will bring damage and trouble.

Use a combination of mirrors and actually moving your neck to look out the back window. The camera angle is a SECONDARY choice to look.

For the first few times and while practicing in a parking lot, put your steering wheel in the straight position and tires are pointing straight. Put a wrap of tape at the 12 noon position. This will greatly aid in knowing what is straight as your world is being changed around you as you learn the dynamics of backing a trailer.

Make sure you have a STRONG and HEALTHY marriage/relationship if you are going to have your spouse/girlfriend/boyfriend help in aiding your backing up!!!!!! Many a trip have been ruined by this action. It is a sight to see when you are the observer!

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Slotted rotors and ceramic brake pads go a long way in helping to slow/stop a trailer without surge brakes, etc.

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Make sure you have a STRONG and HEALTHY marriage/relationship if you are going to have your spouse/girlfriend help in aiding your backing up!!!!!!
This! You'll be yelling at each other without cellphones / walkietalkies, misinterpreting hand signals, etc. Yelling quickly turns into fighting for some reason ... probably human nature.

A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've been driving for over 30 year's this will be my 3rd truck. I never used a trailer. But since I had to clean out my mom's house in April I borrowed a trailer. Thought I knew everything about backing up, I used to drive a straight truck for my job. Only difference is turn left to go right turn right to go left. How hard can it be! VERY HARD!!! Everyone is giving great advice. My green horn advice is take it slow, don't rush patience goes a long way.

Sponsored

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
I've been driving for over 30 year's this will be my 3rd truck. I never used a trailer. But since I had to clean out my mom's house in April I borrowed a trailer. Thought I knew everything about backing up, I used to drive a straight truck for my job. Only difference is turn left to go right turn right to go left. How hard can it be! VERY HARD!!! Everyone is giving great advice. My green horn advice is take it slow, don't rush patience goes a long way.
Good advice. Do a little research, listen to others with experience, knowledge is power.
Lots of sources for both what to do / what not to do. For fun, some examples of the latter:

"Guess I shoulda tightened my straps a bit more...but my brakes worked fine..."
Ford Maverick For all you new trailer towers boat stra

"Let's see...are IBC totes rated for gasoline? Is it DOT legal to carry this much gas? What's it weigh? Ah screw it there's a gas shortage now I gotta get home..."
Ford Maverick For all you new trailer towers truck ibs gas

"Tongue weight, schmongue weight, I gotta get this to the garage..."
Ford Maverick For all you new trailer towers truck tongue load

"Honey, I trip-checked the trailer before I left the house didn't I?..."
Ford Maverick For all you new trailer towers check your trailer

"Payload? Doorjam sticker? What that?..."
Ford Maverick For all you new trailer towers payload problem

"Well I can't rig a 5th wheel hitch to my tow vehicle, maybe this will work..."
Ford Maverick For all you new trailer towers 5th wheel.JPG

"You mean my Subaru don't have a heavy duty payload package? Who cares..."
Ford Maverick For all you new trailer towers subaru.JPG

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I too am impressed by the trailer with the dump truck.....of course he went home and threw a 'slightly used and never abused trailer on Craigslist.

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I too am impressed by the trailer with the dump truck.
And the 5th wheel towed in reverse. Wow. At least he doesn't have to worry about tongue weight -- he's got negative tongue weight, LOL! Just wow.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And the 5th wheel towed in reverse. Wow. At least he doesn't have to worry about tongue weight -- he's got negative tongue weight, LOL! Just wow.
Where there is a will......