First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well, this actually makes sense. You see, the assembly plant can only make so many vehicles so fast. So, lets you use simple numbers. Lets say they can make 10,000 vehicles a year, that's about 192 a week. (completely made up numbers.) But every dealership should be able to get some.

There are "stock" orders and "retail" orders. "stock" orders are what a dealership orders for their lot, which they can add any markup they want. Used Mavericks on lots now are going for well over 10K over MSRP. "Retail" orders are for costumers that have paid a deposit and goes to them by-name. Some dealerships don't charge markups on retail orders. Mine doesn't.

So, Dealers generally prefer stock orders, as they can charge more for the vehicles. If their allocations are only limited to stock orders, then they could order as many retail orders as they wanted. They could have "Friends" order them, then say the customer "Backed Out" once it's delivered to the dealership. If it's a first-order-first-deliver model, then this would lead to a situation where some dealerships could order 5,000 Retail orders first thing in the morning. (TOTALLY made up and exaggerated to make my point), If that was the case, then the first 5,000 vehicles off the line would go to that dealership. This would, in turn, make it so other dealerships would have to wait forever to have an order delivered. Whoever orders the most first is the early bird and gets the worm.

Allocations are meant to help the smaller dealerships and spread the Ford product throughout all dealerships. This is so the large mega-dealerships can't hoard all the vehicles, run the smaller ones out of business and the product can get disseminated to all parts of the country.

So, with retail orders counting against their allocations, this creates a " Production Dam" so to speak, where the can control the flow of vehicles coming out of the assembly line and make sure they are equally dispersed throughout the country. Lets say a dealership has 5 allotments and there are 20 people in line to order. The dealership will have to order 5 a week, for 4 weeks. All retail and no stock orders.

Jim Farley has said he hates that dealership are charging 10K+ over MSRP and has addressed this through By-Name ordering, but the allocation process also helps to stem this.

It's not a perfect system, but I feel it's understandable, especially considering the overwhelming demand for the Maverick combined with limited production capability.

The only thing I can say is be the first in line at your dealership tomorrow morning.
Be the early bird and go get your worm!
Yes but Ford has said if dealers exceed a certain number of retail orders that do not go to the person that ordered it. Their allocations will be cut. Do not know if this actually happens. But one poster said his dealer gets one a year? Dealer must run out of a 7-11.
Sponsored

Milqueman

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Kia Sportage Hybrid, 2013 Hyundai Elantra
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes but Ford has said if dealers exceed a certain number of retail orders that do not go to the person that ordered it. Their allocations will be cut. Do not know if this actually happens. But one poster said his dealer gets one a year? Dealer must run out of a 7-11.
For sure, and I get that I watched that video where Jim Farly explained that. I think he said that 75% of all retail order must go to the by-name order. If not, the dealership gets penalized. This prevents them from over ordering retails to increase their stock on the lot.

I was just trying to explain why the retail orders still go against their total allocations. and use exaggerated numbers to highlight the point.

Thanks for correcting me.

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
i work in an industry where if this level on incompetence existed that people would be fired. I know because I’ve seen people walked out by security. Ford made a grave mistake with how bad this was handled. As a younger man I will never buy another product made under the Ford umbrella, not because their quality is bad but because they can’t even seem to send emails to update people for 5+months a time
I get it.

I spent 30 plus years at Ford. When Jac Nassar became CEO Ford went in the dumper. Still circling the drain.

I have former coworkers still there. Some of the stories OMG. Most counting the days.

Ice Ferret

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Suzuki XL7
I get it.

I spent 30 plus years at Ford. When Jac Nassar became CEO Ford went in the dumper. Still circling the drain.

I have former coworkers still there. Some of the stories OMG. Most counting the days.
it’s just insanity that the communication has been so piss poor. You ask the simplest questions and you get a 1000 yard stare. I never thought I could dislike a car manufacturer before ever owning one of their vehicles but somehow ford found a way

Sponsored

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So they come out with the Tremor, then say it's a constraint.

Also frustrating that the dealer allocation plays a role. I have nothing but smaller dealers that all suck around me. Honestly I'm about ready to just not bother :(
Looks like Ford learn nothing from last year's ordering problems with dealer allocations and wants to repeat the mess! 🤬🤬

Milqueman

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Kia Sportage Hybrid, 2013 Hyundai Elantra
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great my two dealers. In the area. I I have Missouri and Illinois dealer. Both small and I think neither one got over 20 allocations last year. Meanwhile 400 delivered for LMAF. Should I just place a order with everyone.
Larger allocations don't mean that the dealership will get them delivered faster. It just means they have more allocations, which is because they have more people to service, because they are in a larger market. If you get your order in from a smaller dealership, the order is in and your trunk will be produced and delivered at the same speed. You'll be placed in line based on the date your order went through. Your dealership has lower allocations because they serve a smaller population. There may not be that many people where you live that want a maverick., or at least, the same percentage of people per population size as larger dealerships.

Now, if your dealership runs out of allocations and you have to wait until they get more, then yes, you'll be behind the power curve, but larger dealership could also run out of allocations just as fast, because as mentioned above, they have more people to serve, which means more people in their market area could want Mavericks.

But allocations have nothing to do with how fast a dealership gets an order delivered.
Its' all who gets the orders in faster.

You might be better off going to a smaller dealership, because many people might rush to the larger ones and use up their allocations faster because they think more allocations means faster delivery.

My suggestion, be first in line before their allocations run out, regardless of which dealership you use.

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
it’s just insanity that the communication has been so piss poor. You ask the simplest questions and you get a 1000 yard stare. I never thought I could dislike a car manufacturer before ever owning one of their vehicles but somehow ford found a way
You have to hire and promote capable and caring employees.

scottp01

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fiesta (on death's door)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just when you thought Ford couldn't screw this up anymore than they have already, they find new ways to lower the bar.

December: Okay, I have to switch to the drop-in liner, but at least my truck will be built.
Spring: Okay, my truck will take a little longer, at least I'll have the options I want.
Summer: Okay, December/January orders are getting scheduled and Ford sent an email saying they admit it'll take longer, but they're working to build all the 2022 trucks. Any day now.
August: Okay, my truck will be pushed to 2023, and I'll probably pay more interest, but at least I'm price-protected.
Last week: Okay, they're going to use a coupon which means I'll probably have to pay more sales tax, but at least I'll be prioritized over 2023 orders.

Ford: Well, about all that; we're removing remote start, bed liners and cargo tiedowns from the XLT Lux package (all stuff that I wanted in that package), we're not getting rid of allocations so f*** you if you ordered from a smaller dealership, and we're not going to tell you how much it will cost until the day of, all while saying that orders will close fast.

Said it before and I'll say it again, Fuck Ford. The people who weren't laid off should jump ship, a company this mismanaged is unsustainable.

scottp01

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fiesta (on death's door)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Larger allocations don't mean that the dealership will get them delivered faster. It just means they have more allocations, which is because they have more people to service, because they are in a larger market. If you get your order in from a smaller dealership, the order is in and your trunk will be produced and delivered at the same speed. You'll be placed in line based on the date your order went through. Your dealership has lower allocations because they serve a smaller population. There may not be that many people where you live that want a maverick., or at least, the same percentage of people per population size as larger dealerships.

Now, if your dealership runs out of allocations and you have to wait until they get more, then yes, you'll be behind the power curve, but larger dealership could also run out of allocations just as fast, because as mentioned above, they have more people to serve, which means more people in their market area could want Mavericks.

But allocations have nothing to do with how fast a dealership gets an order delivered.
Its' all who gets the orders in faster.

You might be better off going to a smaller dealership, because many people might rush to the larger ones and use up their allocations faster because they think more allocations means faster delivery.

My suggestion, be first in line before their allocations run out, regardless of which dealership you use.
This is 100% wrong. I saw my exact order which I placed in November, scheduled for December/January orders at larger dealerships, all while my truck got pushed to 2023.
Chapman had 15 unscheduled ecoboost orders per one of their salesmen via email, and that was months ago when I contacted them. Meanwhile, my dealer probably only saw 15 trucks get scheduled TOTAL. You're much more likely to get your truck, and get it faster, at a larger dealer.

Sponsored

JBnorthTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2013 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It's aggravating to see the last four constricted items. Those are items that my dealer told me he can order from Parts and the longest wait would be 14 days (tonneau cover). Otherwise, a 3-4 day wait.

Why would Ford hold up a sale for stuff the dealer can order and install? Arg!
Those items are constrained only if you order them from the factory. Having the dealer order and install them will not hold up your order.

RJames

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MAVERICK XLT, CHEVY S-10
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The dealer allocation system was put in place for a reason. In today's market it might not make (as much) sense as it did in a normal one but there was a reason.

Keep in mind allocations work both ways. They ensure that smaller dealers do get some vehicles. otherwise the big guys would simply place orders for everything they could and drive the competing dealers out of business. At that point those ADMs would be standard on all vehicles.

I'm not saying the system works well or even at all, only that it just might be better than the alternative.

What I would like to see is an online ordering system. Build out your vehicle at the website price and select which dealer you want it delivered to. Dealer does the predelivery prep and gets paid by Ford for that. You negotiate with the dealer for any trade in or financing. Dealers would likely have a laundry list of 'add ons' to sell you as well. Removes most of the pain in buying a new car but still leaves room for competition between dealers. But the competition is more customer service oriented rather than price.
Excellent idea!

OP
OP
CACTI_HYBRID

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The dealer allocation system was put in place for a reason. In today's market it might not make (as much) sense as it did in a normal one but there was a reason.

Keep in mind allocations work both ways. They ensure that smaller dealers do get some vehicles. otherwise the big guys would simply place orders for everything they could and drive the competing dealers out of business. At that point those ADMs would be standard on all vehicles.

I'm not saying the system works well or even at all, only that it just might be better than the alternative.

What I would like to see is an online ordering system. Build out your vehicle at the website price and select which dealer you want it delivered to. Dealer does the predelivery prep and gets paid by Ford for that. You negotiate with the dealer for any trade in or financing. Dealers would likely have a laundry list of 'add ons' to sell you as well. Removes most of the pain in buying a new car but still leaves room for competition between dealers. But the competition is more customer service oriented rather than price.
What a great idea! Way too simple I guess for the brainiacs at Ford to consider though.

Mav101

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gm
I guess the scheduling on first in first out was temporary thing to appease us as it seems they are going back to the dealer allocation system for 2023, everyone better find the biggest dealer around them and place an order quick.

The dealership network seems to control ford decisions, whatever is best for the dealer is what is done without regard for the customer.
Sponsored