First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus ST, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My Maverick arrived last Friday and I started the process of purchasing the truck with them via email and I feel like I'm having to repeatedly reach out to them to nudge them through the purchase process. My flight leaves for Philly Friday morning and they still haven't given me any guidance of what I need to do regarding my down payment or anything. I haven't been given any paperwork other than my credit approval, now radio silence.

Kind of frustrating because I only have a few hours a day where I can go to the bank to arrange financials and I feel like I'm running short on time before I leave to get the truck. Anybody else have a similar experience?
Sponsored

OP
OP
JibbersCrabst

JibbersCrabst

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did you call them?
I shouldn't have to but looks like I will. Seems that they should be more eager to get this done and I shouldn't have to chase them.

Mav

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Maverick
I shouldn't have to but looks like I will. Seems that they should be more eager to get this done and I shouldn't have to chase them.
May want to check your level of entitlement. Chapman has been responsive to all my emails. They can’t answer your questions if you aren’t asking them. This isn’t a concierge service.

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
May want to check your level of entitlement. Chapman has been responsive to all my emails. They can’t answer your questions if you aren’t asking them. This isn’t a concierge service.
While I tend to agree that the dealer should be guiding the customer through this I don't know anything about the dealer and their situation. There could be a perfectly reasonable explanation for why you haven't been hand-held as much as you'd like.

That said, if I'm your dealer I'm not going to break my neck to sell you something that isn't making me any money. If you don't reach out to me to prod it along and show that you actually give a crap about it I have no incentive to help you out, I'd rather you bail on the purchase so I can sell it for 5k markup and keep paying my sales guys.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JibbersCrabst

JibbersCrabst

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They are a business providing a service. That's like saying someone is entitled because their server disappears during their meal and they have to go hunt them down to get service.

MDRN

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat First Edition Hybrid Rapid Red
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
With regards to financing nothing can be done until you have a fully executed P&S and you have proof of insurance. They gave you an approval, you need to do the rest on your own. Down payments are up to you, they should not be guiding you on this. This is meant to be helpful, but if this is new to you there are some helpful links here:

https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/10-steps-to-buying-a-new-car.html

https://www.trustedchoice.com/insurance-articles/wheels-wings-motors/car-purchase-agreement/

OP
OP
JibbersCrabst

JibbersCrabst

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
With regards to financing nothing can be done until you have a fully executed P&S and you have proof of insurance. They gave you an approval, you need to do the rest on your own. Down payments are up to you, they should not be guiding you on this. This is meant to be helpful, but if this is new to you there are some helpful links here:

https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/10-steps-to-buying-a-new-car.html

https://www.trustedchoice.com/insurance-articles/wheels-wings-motors/car-purchase-agreement/
So after they tell me I'm approved to buy the truck I have to figure out the rest of it myself? lol okay I've bought many cars that's not how it's ever worked.

Oh and also, they specifically told me via email on the day my truck arrived that they would reach back out to me to "guide me through the process" then after 3 days I had to contact them to ask what I'm supposed to be doing.

Last edited:

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So after they tell me I'm approved to buy the truck I have to figure out the rest of it myself? lol okay I've bought many cars that's not how it's ever worked.

Oh and also, they specifically told me via email on the day my truck arrived that they would reach back out to me to "guide me through the process" then after 3 days I had to contact them to ask what I'm supposed to be doing.
If you are financing through the dealership - you should call their finance department directly as sales won't be able to do anything with that.

I've often found that the sales and finance teams communication is lacking and then dealerships usually give their employees days off during the week so they are staffed for the weekend.

Top it off with other salesman won't touch another person's deal because there is no incentive and its likely you aren't getting the run around - you just around getting the right people.

Mav

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Maverick
They are a business providing a service. That's like saying someone is entitled because their server disappears during their meal and they have to go hunt them down to get service.
They are essentially a middle man that’s not even making money on yours, or the hundreds of others (below invoice) that they have orders with. Considering the volume of cars they sell every week, I can understand their lack of communication. Doesn’t mean it’s right. But it is reality. Sometimes you have to get involved when you want answers. Being disappointed with their service falls on them. Not reaching out to them and addressing it, falls on you.

Sponsored
OP
OP
JibbersCrabst

JibbersCrabst

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They are essentially a middle man that’s not even making money on yours, or the hundreds of others (below invoice) that they have orders with. Considering the volume of cars they sell every week, I can understand their lack of communication. Doesn’t mean it’s right. But it is reality. Sometimes you have to get involved when you want answers. Being disappointed with their service falls on them. Not reaching out to them and addressing it, falls on you.
How much money they're making should have no impact on the level of service they are providing me. I'm sure they are making plenty of money off the Maverick's that people aren't following through with that they are selling at a $5k markup which is honestly a genius way of working this system and I commend them for that. Everything they have told me has been accurate and up front and that has been the best part of the whole process so I'm not knocking Chapman at all.

I personally have never bought a vehicle over the internet and I expected that they would outline the steps of the process so I am aware of what's coming next in the process and they've left me in the dark a few times, probably because of being busy but it's no less frustrating. I only made this post as a temperature check of what other people's experience had been with them in this regard, not to bitch, gripe, smear the dealership or anything of the sort. It seems like my post has rustled some jimmies however.

I've worked in a service industry of some sort for over 24 years. I'm well familiar with the difference between expecting good service and being entitled.

clippedwings

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Transit Connect
Don't let the cost of your vehicle lure you into believing it justifies dealer hand-holding. What's being pointed out here is true. I don't know if there is even a hold-back attached to retail orders, but even if they get that they're still probably lucky to clear a couple hundred bucks. You're not even gonna be around to get overcharged for parts and services, which is where they actually make money (not counting dealer financing).

Mav

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Maverick
How much money they're making should have no impact on the level of service they are providing me. I'm sure they are making plenty of money off the Maverick's that people aren't following through with that they are selling at a $5k markup which is honestly a genius way of working this system and I commend them for that. Everything they have told me has been accurate and up front and that has been the best part of the whole process so I'm not knocking Chapman at all.

I personally have never bought a vehicle over the internet and I expected that they would outline the steps of the process so I am aware of what's coming next in the process and they've left me in the dark a few times, probably because of being busy but it's no less frustrating. I only made this post as a temperature check of what other people's experience had been with them in this regard, not to bitch, gripe, smear the dealership or anything of the sort. It seems like my post has rustled some jimmies however.

I've worked in a service industry of some sort for over 24 years. I'm well familiar with the difference between expecting good service and being entitled.
Just call

OP
OP
JibbersCrabst

JibbersCrabst

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)