sdy284

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT 2.0 FWD - Alto Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is there an external crossover for the factory tweeters & front door speakers?

I'm looking at upgrading the door speakers and seeing how it sounds with the factory tweeters.

I have no problem using the supplied crossover that comes with the aftermarket speakers for the door speaker, but I don't want to be installing 1 crossover behind a factory one (if it exists)
Sponsored

OP
OP
sdy284

sdy284

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT 2.0 FWD - Alto Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
bump

PanchoBarrancas

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have no idea but I'll add my two cents: there is very likely not only a crossover in the factory system, but they might even have their own amp channels. There is a hidden speaker test mode that goes through all 6 base system speakers including each individual tweeter, and un Android Auto the Google Assistant voice is played only through the tweeters.

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have no idea but I'll add my two cents: there is very likely not only a crossover in the factory system, but they might even have their own amp channels. There is a hidden speaker test mode that goes through all 6 base system speakers including each individual tweeter, and un Android Auto the Google Assistant voice is played only through the tweeters.
That's interesting news. I would love to see a wiring diagram or to know the full pinouts of the connector that flimay2k tapped for the front channels.

PanchoBarrancas

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's interesting news. I would love to see a wiring diagram or to know the full pinouts of the connector that flimay2k tapped for the front channels.
By the way, the front door speaker channels do transmit full range including the high end, I installed coaxial speakers with a built-in tweeter and it works just fine. The tweeters in the dash do also have a capacitor built into them as a cheapo high-pass filter, that means they might be receiving a full spectrum signal as well, perhaps? If I remember correctly the hidden test mode is accessed by pressing the power and skip back buttons on the radio at the same time, will do some testing.

Sponsored

jc888888888

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat eco boost, Mustang Mach E , Porsche Boxster
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
By the way, the front door speaker channels do transmit full range including the high end, I installed coaxial speakers with a built-in tweeter and it works just fine. The tweeters in the dash do also have a capacitor built into them as a cheapo high-pass filter, that means they might be receiving a full spectrum signal as well, perhaps? If I remember correctly the hidden test mode is accessed by pressing the power and skip back buttons on the radio at the same time, will do some testing.
If you dont mind what coxial speakers did you install ? how do they sound?

PanchoBarrancas

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you dont mind what coxial speakers did you install ? how do they sound?
I installed Infinity Reference 6532IX in the front doors with Metra Ford mounting adapters and Reference 4032CFX in the rear pillars. The 6532IX has an angled tweeter, so I installed them so that they were pointing up in a 45° angle. Stock speakers are not terrible but they have some distortion at all volumes resulting in a slightly "crunchy" sound, for a lack of a better descriptor. The Infinitys are a lot clearer and have stronger bass, though I did have to move the fader heavily forward-biased so as not to deafen rear passengers, plus that helps prevent distortion from even aftermarket speakers in the rear. The rear pillars' speaker mount does not isolate the front of the speaker from its rear, so no speaker will sound that good, but having a tweeter there makes it way more pleasant.

Stereo is slightly louder, but at aprox. level 23 or higher the doors will rattle even with proper installation.

Beyond here I went a little wild, removed the plastic bucket under the rear seat's passenger side and installed there a Rockford Fosgate P300-8P subwoofer, went to the radio's equalizer and set the bass all the way down to 0, set the subwoofer's crossover to 200, and let it handle all the bass. There is a strong enough signal for the subwoofer to regain all the bass back. This means the doors won't rattle even at max volume and none of the 4 speakers distort even at that volume, plus it somehow makes it sound clearer. The addition of the subwoofer and the slightly weird setup made a huge difference and really ties the sound system together.

Ken Maverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mavericktruckclub.com
Vehicle(s)
F150, maverick asap
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I installed Infinity Reference 6532IX in the front doors with Metra Ford mounting adapters and Reference 4032CFX in the rear pillars. The 6532IX has an angled tweeter, so I installed them so that they were pointing up in a 45° angle. Stock speakers are not terrible but they have some distortion at all volumes resulting in a slightly "crunchy" sound, for a lack of a better descriptor. The Infinitys are a lot clearer and have stronger bass, though I did have to move the fader heavily forward-biased so as not to deafen rear passengers, plus that helps prevent distortion from even aftermarket speakers in the rear. The rear pillars' speaker mount does not isolate the front of the speaker from its rear, so no speaker will sound that good, but having a tweeter there makes it way more pleasant.

Stereo is slightly louder, but at aprox. level 23 or higher the doors will rattle even with proper installation.

Beyond here I went a little wild, removed the plastic bucket under the rear seat's passenger side and installed there a Rockford Fosgate P300-8P subwoofer, went to the radio's equalizer and set the bass all the way down to 0, set the subwoofer's crossover to 200, and let it handle all the bass. There is a strong enough signal for the subwoofer to regain all the bass back. This means the doors won't rattle even at max volume and none of the 4 speakers distort even at that volume, plus it somehow makes it sound clearer. The addition of the subwoofer and the slightly weird setup made a huge difference and really ties the sound system together.
Do you have any pix of the sub?

jc888888888

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat eco boost, Mustang Mach E , Porsche Boxster
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

thank you!!

Sponsored

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL

Did you find adapters for the rears? I did powerbass plug and play components in the front and they came with what I believe is the same adaptor as the C column, but I can’t find them on their own

PanchoBarrancas

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did you find adapters for the rears? I did powerbass plug and play components in the front and they came with what I believe is the same adaptor as the C column, but I can’t find them on their own
Nope, I couldn't find the proper adapter for the rear speakers (assuming you're talking about the plugs). I tried my luck and ordered these and they're not the same as the factory plug. However, by carefully slightly bending down the pins inside and carefully aligning them these will successfully plug into the connector in the C pillar. Just be mindful of polarity. The factory speaker's connector has a red dot on the positive side of the connector, just be sure to mind the color of the wire going to the positive side so that you plug these adapters the right way around if you decide to use them. By the way, the plug on these adapters is the same as the pigtails for 12v power in the bed, in case you want to use them for that purpose lol.

Here's a few pics I took during the installation:
Ford Maverick Factory crossovers? 20211209_135826

Ford Maverick Factory crossovers? 20211209_143228

Ford Maverick Factory crossovers? 20211209_135821

Ford Maverick Factory crossovers? 20211209_135812

Last edited:

PanchoBarrancas

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Also, the tweeters in the dash and the speakers in the C Pillar use the same connector but they have a little protrusion that prevents you from plugging the tweeters at the C pillars and vice versa. It won't stop you from using the mismatched metra adapters on either, though.
Sponsored