First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 & 2019 Edge
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've driven Fords for about 30 years. For some I've purchased the extended ESP warranty and some I haven't. It is an insurance policy and the price you pay is negotiable. Of course they are going to work hard to sell it to you. Have I used Ford's extended warranty? Yes - was it beneficial - yes. At other times I haven't used it and I've received a refund when I sold the Ford. I'd recommend you weigh the pros and cons on paper then make a decision. My Mav is scheduled to build the week of Nov 22. Before it arrives I plan to go to my dealership and talk to the finance folks about pricing - yep - before they have me boxed in. If I learn anything beneficial I'll pass it on. Right now, I'm sitting on the fence about ESP and am noting my pros and cons for my 2.0 EB Lariat. Good luck on your decision!
Sponsored

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I say absolutely not.

1. This is a value car. You remove the value by adding unnecessary things.
2. Better insurance is more frequent fluid changes. Go Amsoil and see how much build up you get, Or top end Penzoil.
3. Invest the $2k in a good S&P stock or ETF. I would suggest QQQor PYPL. You will have a down payment on your next vehicle instead of a worthless warranty.
4. Make more money so you stop worrying about stupid things happening.
5. If your still nervous, get a Toyota or buy the Hybrid

Last edited:

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
Hello, hope everyone enjoyed the weekend.
Would like to ask all of new owners of the Maverick, will you consider to purchase the extended warranty, such as Ford Premium Care which can cover up to 8 years or 150,000 miles.
My concern is that this is a brand new model, there is no enough information for reliability, the repair cost could be high because there are so many technology and controls are based on computer chips and codes. You may not even can find an independent tech to read the code.
I have been a owner of a brand new model car back in 2011, the transmission has to be rebuilt at year 7, ~ 91,000 miles which caused a fortune because all my warranty was expired.
I know there is not a definite answer for my question, just want to hear all suggestions and advices to help me out.
Thanks again.
Depends a lot on how long you actually end up keeping your Maverick.
What I would do (and have done):
1. Shop online for Ford ESP Premium Care plans. Flood Ford, Zeigler, others all have sites where you can do this.
2. Figure out what level of coverage you want - what deductible amount, how many miles for coverage, how many years it covers.
3. Input your choices (your in NJ, don't know if you have FWD or AWD but put in what you have), compare costs.
4. Pick up your shiny new Maverick. At the stop-off in the dealers Finance office, they'll try and sell you their extended warranty plan (hopefully its Ford ESP not some other plan). Ask them if they'll match what Flood/Zeigler/etc quoted you. They'll either say yes or no. If no, then get the online plan.

Another option (which I prefer) is - you don't have to buy an extended warranty at you purchase date, you can get a Ford plan before (or even after I think) 36 months of ownership. That way, drive your new Maverick for a number of months or years. If for some reason after 2 years/24k miles of ownership you decide "hey I'm not really that crazy about it and want to sell it" you're not out any extra money as your still covered under original 3 year/36k warranty. It will cost a little more than if you had bought the plan at original purchase date, but it's a form of insurance. More people than you think initially believe they'll keep a new vehicle for 10+ years/150,000+ miles but then life happens and they end up selling it before 3 years/36k miles.

Did a quick look at Flood for a FWD and an AWD Maverick assuming you bought a Premium Care at original purchase, NJ ownership - the AWD costs a bit more in most categories.

FWD:
Ford Maverick Extended Warranty or not? flood_fwd.JPG

AWD:
Ford Maverick Extended Warranty or not? flood_awd.JPG

TexasMaverick88

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Niro
Ford Extended Service Plans (ESP) can now be purchased online at pricing substantially lower than what is quoted in the dealership.
I have used Flood Ford for my last 4 ESP plans that I purchased. I will use Flood Ford for this Maverick. An ESP Premium plan, 8 years/75,000 miles, all lights and key fob coverage……$1800.
When you trade in or sell the covered vehicle, canceling the ESP plan has provided a generous refund on three different occasions.
Thanks for the info, good to know

MDRN

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat First Edition Hybrid Rapid Red
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Would like to ask all of new owners of the Maverick, will you consider to purchase the extended warranty, such as Ford Premium Care which can cover up to 8 years or 150,000 miles.
My concern is that this is a brand new model, there is no enough information for reliability, the repair cost could be high because there are so many technology and controls are based on computer chips and codes. You may not even can find an independent tech to read the code.
I have been a owner of a brand new model car back in 2011, the transmission has to be rebuilt at year 7, ~ 91,000 miles which caused a fortune because all my warranty was expired.
I know there is not a definite answer for my question, just want to hear all suggestions and advices to help me out.
Thanks again.
This is just a personal choice. It's not wrong to purchase it or decline it. If you want to purchase it, consider that this is also a negotiable item. Unlike the vehicles, it has no scarcity. They do want you to purchase it. Tell them it's too expensive. They will go down on the price. Some dealers will even sell it to you at cost if you negotiate. They are looking for number of contracts they complete.

Second piece of advice. If you do purchase it and you decide later that you no longer want to keep paying for it, you can cancel the contract and the remaining balance you owe on the service plan will be credited to the lien holder. In the event that you have paid it off, they will take a prorated refund based on the mileage and years left on the contract.

Lastly, if you don't want one, you could put that money aside on your own to just save every month while it's under the new warranty for 12 months and then let it sit there. Hopefully you'll never need it and it could be a down payment on your next vehicle.

Whatever you decide, it's not all set in stone.

Sponsored

vabchusa

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford C Max SE, 2022 Maverick First Edition
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I bought the Ford ESP in 2015 on my C Max Hybrid(6 yrs 150000 mi) as I'm a high mileage driver and this was still a fairly new technology. Never needed it and have now 166000 miles on it. Thinking of not getting it on the Mav but instead putting about $50/mo into a maintenance account. The dealer I am getting the Mav from has a "Lifetime powertrain Warranty" and also the hybrid parts have a 8 yr 100k warranty. I may then go with a company like Carsheild. I just got Carsheild on my 2015 C Max for $89/mo. will be keeping it until I trade in or sell it.

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m going to say that it depends. I will more than likely get one because I drive about 20k miles a year and do 99% city driving and turn Off and On the motor About 20x a day. For my circumstances I believe it’s worth it.
But doesn't Ford already cover your engine for like 3 years? Why would you double insure it?

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You are better off taking the cost of the extended warranty and just putting that amount in a savings account for the potential future repairs. Make payments to yourself instead of towards the finance manager's new boat.

TruckVille

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alto Blue, 4K Tow, Luxury Package, Flux Capacitor
But doesn't Ford already cover your engine for like 3 years? Why would you double insure it?
I think he's talking about coverage after the factory warrantee is no longer in effect.

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think he's talking about coverage after the factory warrantee is no longer in effect.
I guess I don't understand why buying an extended warranty for a vehicle that's already under warranty for at least 3 years would be a consideration now. Extended warranties are already a boondoggle for dealerships.

Sponsored

ReddWulf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick FX4, Harley Road King Classic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks again.
This is a hard one, I used the same rationale when I bought my motorcycle the first year they changed the motor to TC96...extra security. All I did was add extra money to the dealer's profit margin because that engine has been relatively trouble free since 2007. Still riding it in 2021.

Hard to play the "what if" gamble sometimes.....as sometimes you win, sometimes you lose with no way to predict. But just like Vegas, they didn't build that place because the odds are in YOUR favor. It is definitely in the dealer's favor to offer it...or they wouldn't.

Mav2Scamp

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat FX4 4K tow,19 CRV EX-L
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks again.
Ford was able to keep the price of the Maverick down because all of its systems have been around for years engine, transmission, hybrid and most of the computing system so there has to be data on them somewhere. The hybrid power train is warranted for 8 years from the factory and wouldn’t worry to much about the 2.0 unless you’re going be doing a lot of heavy towing. If you just want peace of mind go with the warranty.

NEMAV4ME

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150
I might normally tell you to pass, but here are some things to keep in mind…

-This is the first year for the Maverick
-Manufacturers use lots of 3rd party parts
-Production has been “weird” to say the least (Covid-19)

My advice is to fully understand the coverage your buying, get the longest coverage possible and negotiate to for your budget.

Turtle

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is what I'm thinking of doing -
1. Not get the extended warrantee when I buy the truck. I think they are really expensive, even though you can roll it into the payment and take a few years to pay for it.
2. I'm getting an EcoBoost engine, which has direct injection. Direct injection has a reputation of causing carbon to collect on the intake valves leading to expenses.
3. I know I can get a powertrain warrantee from my car insurance company, Geico (others have it too, just call them), so I'll probably get that for the Mav after 3 years.
I was told by Geico that if i wanted the warranty i had to take it from the start.

TruckVille

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alto Blue, 4K Tow, Luxury Package, Flux Capacitor
I was told by Geico that if i wanted the warranty i had to take it from the start.
Hmm, it was not that many years ago, and I ask for powertrain coverage. Sounds like it's changed. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the update!
Sponsored