Sponsored

Does hot pepper have better "paint strength"?

bioned

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I apologize for tbe dumb question in advance.

I have area 51 as my color right now, and recently I am starting to like the hot red pepper.

That said, I'm totally up for paying $500 more for the color and if it has better paint quality, cuz the maverick is known for poor paint.

Can yall chime in? red pepper better against UV? thicker paint? whats the consensus?
Sponsored

AUDIOZONE

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger, ranger, mustang, maverick on order
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't know the answer. I am hopeful because it says tricoat, and red tinted clearcoat.. like I said, I don't know, but it sounds like three coats.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Its either premium tough or premium fragile.. Im hoping for tough on my Tremor!

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If HPR is a tricoat like Cyber Orange.. in theory, yes. It is definitely three coats.

But every car forum these days all say that every car has cheap paint. It's just the way it is now.

Sponsored

bbyBlue

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick (VB), 1986 Lincoln Mark 7
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here is my take, I had a 2019 Ranger that I sold to get my maverick. Paint is the same LOL the rangers paint was super soft as well, all new cars today have cheap paint I feel like.

notorious beebs

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Lux FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In theory, there should be no difference in quality. A tri coat paint and beyond only add layers of paint below the clear coat. They use the same quality and thickness of clear regardless of paint code from the factory, which is ultimately the layer that provides the most protection against UV and chipping. At one point in time Mercedes and a couple other manufacturers offered a legit harder clear coat as an option, but Ford wasn't one of them.

Some colors are specifically known to have issues. Mazda 46V soul crystal reds are known for chipping, Honda NH788P orchid white known for peeling, Toyota 070 blizzard white pearl known for peeling, GM had a wide issue with paint peeling, but I don't remember the exact codes.. etc. There don't seem to be any well documented issues of excessive chipping or peeling on any of the current paint codes offered on the Maverick.

Last edited:

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For the OP - I have HPR and like it a lot in the right sun. Most of the time it's boring. But when the sun hits it just right it's amazing. I've seen a lot of Mavs on the road. My favorite color so far is cactus grey. It just looks right on the Maverick in the real world.

Can't say anything about durability. I kind of feel the extra $500 was for the metal flake and clearcoat treatments. More about looks? If you're wondering about that $500, we'll I'd say most days and most times of the day it's just a boring red. But when it's on it's on like Donkey Kong.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

For the OP - I have HPR and like it a lot in the right sun. Most of the time it's boring. But when the sun hits it just right it's amazing. I've seen a lot of Mavs on the road. My favorite color so far is cactus grey. It just looks right on the Maverick in the real world.

Can't say anything about durability. I kind of feel the extra $500 was for the metal flake and clearcoat treatments. More about looks? If you're wondering about that $500, we'll I'd say most days and most times of the day it's just a boring red. But when it's on it's on like Donkey Kong.
Just a boring red??? From the guy who thinks catus grey is the best???

Im sorry but I do not get you guys. I cant understand wahy so many want green grey, blue grey, grey grey, tan grey, silver grey. Its almost as crazy as a couple decades ago and everybody buying car in ten different shades of maroon(which rapid red is dangerously close to). We were forced to go with HPR as my third choice Velocity Blue(Lightning blue would have been better) was my first choice but it got dropped and then I was really digging the idea of a Cyber Orange Tremor, then that wasnt available. So I settled for HPR which I like because of its metallic and changing properties. I do thing I will have to add more orange accents to the tremor though. Maybe find a couple bits of black plastic to paint. Another one I just came up with is trade out headlights with someone and do a orange tint on the headlights. That would be awesome!

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just a boring red??? From the guy who thinks catus grey is the best???

Im sorry but I do not get you guys.

[redacted amount of making fun of color preferences]

do a orange tint on the headlights.
He who desires orange tinted headlights shall not cast blue gray, green gray, or gray gray stones at anyone.

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

He who desires orange tinted headlights shall not cast blue gray, green gray, or gray gray stones at anyone.
I just always liked color myself. But then again I grew up going to car shows and races and other automotive or propulsion oriented events. Always like the ones with style.
Ford Maverick Does hot pepper have better "paint strength"? 640dP1wHaE_?w=264&h=180&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.65&pid=1
Ford Maverick Does hot pepper have better "paint strength"? ypas5SwHaDk?w=334&h=168&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.65&pid=1
Ford Maverick Does hot pepper have better "paint strength"? rXvauKgHaDt?w=217&h=174&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.65&pid=1
Ford Maverick Does hot pepper have better "paint strength"? 3jBn8wwHaHa?w=186&h=186&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.65&pid=1
Ford Maverick Does hot pepper have better "paint strength"? VYxgnIwHaIH?w=184&h=202&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.65&pid=1

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Oh I like orange (and yellow) and stuff, but not headlight tint of any sort.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Oh I like orange (and yellow) and stuff, but not headlight tint of any sort.
As drivers of older cars both me and my wife detest the modern blinding blue and piercing white lights of todays cars. I also am not a fan of anything blacked out since I am no longer running from the man in any illegal way(lots of good stories from age 15 to 32). Since the Tremor has some weirdly tinted headlights I figure why not go full custom and I do want more of the yellowish orange stuff to match the Tremors accents. We also have a LED light bar on our Bronco for occasional use and the only setting on it that my wife actually likes to use is yellow setting. Not blinding but brighter than our 96 headlights.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Oh, my husband and I said goodbye to halogen headlights close to 15 years ago. It's been HID or LED since. Properly designed - and properly aligned - HID or LED should not be uncomfortable for other drivers.

I've got 3 issues with nighttime driving in my area.

1 - The sheer number of people who find it acceptable to use high beams 100% of the time.
2 - Also the number of people (Nissans in particular) who don't bother with headlights at all
3 - Vehicles with aftermarket HID or LED in headlamp assemblies with optics designed for halogen.

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Didn't realize I'd trigger folks for saying I find HPR kind of a boring red 90% of the time. I'll go stand in the corner and read the latest published guidance on allowed statements.

When I was young, I used to barf when I saw a red car go by. I thought they were all butt-ugly. Then I bought a 90 Miata and red just seemed right. Then I bought a 93 RX7 and red just seemed mandatory. I grew to like Mazda Mica Soul Red, and any well done Candy Apple red.

But I still think HPR is kind of boring unless it's in the right sunlight. Then it really pops and is one of my favorite reds ever.

s
Sponsored