Sponsored

Does anyone else want front tow hooks on their Maverick?

altomav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, '71 GMC
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Regarding factory available items such as tow hooks, cruise control, floor liners, and other nice to have options, just bite the bullet and order the packages up front that include them. Order what you need, order what you want up front. My observation is that most aftermarket accessories either cost just a much or more than factory available options.
Sponsored

mav_can

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, 2018 Mustang EB Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Probably less expensive/easier just to add FX4 package to the build than buying an FX4 bumper and tow hooks and all the effort of doing it yourself. And God only knows when you can get a used one or aftermarket bumper. Get what you want/need now. You're ordering it.
This would only make sense if you got a Hybrid and the cost of upgrading all the way to EB, AWD, FX4 for tow hooks was too much. Also a bit more likely you’d need them with the FWD Hybrid anyway (if your concern was being pulled out of snow like others mentioned).

MAVRICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Any
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does anyone know if cutting out the bumper and attaching the hooks is all that’s needed?
Are there provisions the FX4 models might have that may not be there to accommodate the hooks?
Check for threaded holes on the chassis, behind the bumper ... then buy from a different supplier, at a lower price, the equivalent to the tow hooks shown below [straight from the Ford's Part Department Website] - drill a slightly larger hole than the diameter of the hook on the bumper to feed these through - and bolt them on. Probably will look better than what's shown on the Lariat.

$176.00 Left Hand [LH] Maverick 2022-, Front Tow Hooks - Alternate Design
$176.00 Right Hand [RH] Maverick 2022-, Front Tow Hooks - Alternate Design

Ford Maverick Does anyone else want front tow hooks on their Maverick? 1631464843605

Ford Maverick Does anyone else want front tow hooks on their Maverick? 1631464882626

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
Good point the only time I ever needed them was on my Wrangler while in deep mud with my old Jeep Club. Just worry about my Wife getting over confident with the AWD and spinning out on the huge hill we need to traverse during a major snow storm on an unplowed road. i think I’m just being a little OCD about it. But I do agree with you.
It's a valid point to be prepared for in snow country. Two main scenarios I suppose:
1. You're off the road with the rear of the truck being the best recovery point. In which case hope you have ordered your 2.0EB AWD with a hitch receiver, and can use appropriate shackle/recovery strap options as others have mentioned.
Ford Maverick Does anyone else want front tow hooks on their Maverick? car-ditch-winter-2

2. You're stuck off the road with the FRONT of the truck being the best recovery point. In that case, without front tow hooks (actually recovery hooks), from the owners manual (page 284-285) there may be a work-around.
Ford Maverick Does anyone else want front tow hooks on their Maverick? car-stuck-in-snow1

Ford calls them winching holes (page 285), I have no idea if they're just holes in the unibody frame that you're supposed to attach hook-type straps to, or if there's a threaded portion. I'm guessing probably just holes - somebody at the next Maverick in-person review needs to crawl up under the front end and verify what the heck is really going on there.
Ford Maverick Does anyone else want front tow hooks on their Maverick? recovery.JPG

OP
OP
Mainer500

Mainer500

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 STX, 2016 Ford Fiesta SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's a valid point to be prepared for in snow country. Two main scenarios I suppose:
1. You're off the road with the rear of the truck being the best recovery point. In which case hope you have ordered your 2.0EB AWD with a hitch receiver, and can use appropriate shackle/recovery strap options as others have mentioned.
car-ditch-winter-2.jpg

2. You're stuck off the road with the FRONT of the truck being the best recovery point. In that case, without front tow hooks (actually recovery hooks), from the owners manual (page 284-285) there may be a work-around.
car-stuck-in-snow1.jpeg

Ford calls them winching holes (page 285), I have no idea if they're just holes in the unibody frame that you're supposed to attach hook-type straps to, or if there's a threaded portion. I'm guessing probably just holes - somebody at the next Maverick in-person review needs to crawl up under the front end and verify what the heck is really going on there.
recovery.JPG
Yep, that’s what Maine looks like from late October to April;) hopefully if she spins out in her AWD she’s in the best position to get pulled out. Thanks for the info

Sponsored

altomav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, '71 GMC
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is located at accessories.ford as an alternative mentioned earlier.

Ford Maverick Does anyone else want front tow hooks on their Maverick? 1631476305289

MAVRICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Any
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is located at accessories.ford as an alternative mentioned earlier.

1631476305289.png
Same Shackle (not Curt branded) available at Amazon for $19.99 a pair - multiple colors

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This would only make sense if you got a Hybrid and the cost of upgrading all the way to EB, AWD, FX4 for tow hooks was too much. Also a bit more likely you’d need them with the FWD Hybrid anyway (if your concern was being pulled out of snow like others mentioned).
I was only responding from the OP's perspective. Which was that they ordered an EB AWD. The FX4 upgrade is nominal from the OP build. But I acknowledge your points.

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have front tow hooks on my 2001 Ranger and have never used them in Wisconsin. That said I would love to have the FX4 bumper with the tow hook cutouts. Which would be an absolutely perfect place to put driving/fog lights in. May check how much it would cost to switch bumper.
I agree, perfect spot for driving lights. I bet the aftermarket will come out with a kit for this.

Sponsored

DoneThat

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
If you want functional Factory type FX4 front tow hooks on a non-FX4 trim, forget about it. There large are extra welded pieces to attach the hooks that are not included without that package. Literally nothing behind the bumper.

Who would of thought the packages make structural differences as it seems like many build options for a factory. I got em but will I ever use them?

Cward

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nada
With his concern being snow thought losing Slippery mode to gain the hooks may not make sense
You still have Slippery with FX4. You get Mud/Ruts and Sand in place of Sport and Eco.

Whitenight

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat, 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you want functional Factory type FX4 front tow hooks on a non-FX4 trim, forget about it. There large are extra welded pieces to attach the hooks that are not included without that package. Literally nothing behind the bumper.

Who would of thought the packages make structural differences as it seems like many build options for a factory.
Since most of the body assembly is done by computer and robots it's easy to program what gets added to the basic frame by trim level. Since Ford was looking to keep costs down where they could, not putting the brackets on vehicles that didn't order the FX4 package saves them the cost of the steel on vehicles that, for the most part, would never need them.

Rivers90

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor, Xterra, Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

There is a video on YouTube showing the mounting points from the frame to attach the tow hooks is not there on the non-fx4 trucks.

jc888888888

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat eco boost, Mustang Mach E , Porsche Boxster
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here is a guy on you tube trying to install tow hooks.. looks like a project?
Sponsored